Review of Buccanos Day Trip on cruise

WirelessRoute

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

WirelessRoute was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Our family of 4 was on board MSC Seashore. We decided to head over to Buccanos

for the day. Caught a taxi from punta lagosta Port

Cab driver charged us $20. Oddly on the way back it was $10 not sure why there was a pricing discrepancy.

The resort was very busy with 8 cruise ships in port. We arrived around 10:30 a.m.and there were no lounge chairs available. Entrance fee was $25 a person which was reimbursed towards food which was delicious. The resort itself is fairly small. The bathrooms were nice and clean but hated the unhygienic faucets. The faucets had the little knobs that you need to use your wrist to turn the water on. Very 1950s. The beach itself is very small and the water is fairly rough. We did notice quite a few fishes in the water. Resort was quiet with no loud music outside of some kids playing in the pool. Overall service is very good and the staff was very nice, we had a great experience. Pictures of food are fish and chips and shrimp quesadilla. Hope this helps someone compare to Mr Sancho's, Paradise and Nochi Cocom which we have been to before. We personally prefer a la carte rather than all you can eat and drink and would return.

20240322_124325.jpg

20240322_124320.jpg

20240322_104739.jpg

20240322_104733.jpg

20240322_105508.jpg

20240322_105510.jpg

20240322_105519.jpg

20240322_105504.jpg

Edited by WirelessRoute

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WirelessRoute said:

family of 4 was on board MSC Seashore. We decided to head over to Buccanos

for the day. Caught a taxi from punta lagosta Port

Cab driver charged us $20. Oddly on the way back it was $10 not sure why there was a pricing discrepancy.

Glad you enjoyed your day a Buccanos.

I assume you took a taxi from within the port area? There should have been a board displaying rates. It sounds like you were charged for a van and 4 person/sedan rate on return? 

It is one of our favorites although we did boycott it for a while on cruise ship visits due to their unfair pricing policies for cruisers compared to land visitors but now fees are consistent we would visit on land and cruise visits.

I am surprised it was so busy as I didn’t think it was so popular with cruisers since they lost/sold part of their land to Islands beach Club and stopped many of the cruise line excursions. Are they still offering snorkeling/ diving excursions to cruise ship groups? Perhaps it was busy because it was presumably Spring Break? It is definitely much smaller than it used to be - we used to enjoy the loungers on the terraces which are probably no longer there if we aren’t round the pool. The beach area has always been very small and the water can be rough - I assume the blue umbrellas in your photo are at Islands?

I was surprised at your comment about the restrooms after your visit to Krazy Lobster the day before where you didn’t mention the facilities. To my mind their is no comparison to what I have found at multiple restrooms belonging to Krazy Lobster and Buccanos! I cannot remember if Buccanos has heated hand dryers or paper towels? Could that have been an option for turning off the faucet? It’s been a while since we were there so I don’t remember but as restrooms in Mexico go I would say Buccanos is one beach club  with better facilities than most. You are correct the derelict hotel next door (destroyed in a hurricane) was from that era but whether the faucets at Buccanos are original I have no idea. 

Edited by c-leg5

On 3/23/2024 at 12:07 PM, c-leg5 said:

Glad you enjoyed your day a Buccanos.

I assume you took a taxi from within the port area? There should have been a board displaying rates. It sounds like you were charged for a van and 4 person/sedan rate on return? 

It is one of our favorites although we did boycott it for a while on cruise ship visits due to their unfair pricing policies for cruisers compared to land visitors but now fees are consistent we would visit on land and cruise visits.

I am surprised it was so busy as I didn’t think it was so popular with cruisers since they lost/sold part of their land to Islands beach Club and stopped many of the cruise line excursions. Are they still offering snorkeling/ diving excursions to cruise ship groups? Perhaps it was busy because it was presumably Spring Break? It is definitely much smaller than it used to be - we used to enjoy the loungers on the terraces which are probably no longer there if we aren’t round the pool. The beach area has always been very small and the water can be rough - I assume the blue umbrellas in your photo are at Islands?

I was surprised at your comment about the restrooms after your visit to Krazy Lobster the day before where you didn’t mention the facilities. To my mind their is no comparison to what I have found at multiple restrooms belonging to Krazy Lobster and Buccanos! I cannot remember if Buccanos has heated hand dryers or paper towels? Could that have been an option for turning off the faucet? It’s been a while since we were there so I don’t remember but as restrooms in Mexico go I would say Buccanos is one beach club  with better facilities than most. You are correct the derelict hotel next door (destroyed in a hurricane) was from that era but whether the faucets at Buccanos are original I have no idea. 

You are correct the bathrooms at Crazy Lobster are not great either. Though the faucet can be turned on and off. Unlike Buccanos where your wrist is dirty. My workaround was dry my hands and use the hand sanitizer outside the bathrooms on my wrist. I guess small things in big world. Buccanos bathroom size and cleanliness overall was much better than Crazy Lobster I will agree. 

I would return to both without question with that all said.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...