Northbound Alaskan Cruise - NCL, Princess, or Holland America?

Bogie76

Posted (edited)

I am working on booking a cruise in June of 2025. We plan to start out of Vancouver (spending a couple of days there before departure). We would consider flipping to a southbound if it creates a better itinerary. We are late 40's, non-drinkers, active, and like to see nature.

Right now I have it narrowed down to cruises on NCL Jade, Sapphire Princess, or HAL Noordam. We like to smaller ship options, definitely looking to book an aft cabin with balcony, like a laid-back environment, and not worried about specialty dining options.

We have done Alaska before RT out of Seatle so looking for some variety with the one-way cruise. We did Celebrity last time with Ketchikan, Endicott Arm (Dawes Glacier), Skagway and Juneau.

Appreciate thoughts on cruise line and ship choices, cabin choices, and port/things to do and see. 

Edited by Bogie76

I would rule out NCL as they dock in Ketchikan at Ward Cove which is not in downtown Ketchikan.

I have done Sapphire several times in Alaska and like the ship. I have not been on Noordam but people like the ship and HAL.

I just compared itinerary between HAL and Princess and they are pretty close. I usually say let this make the decision but honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either. They both have great itineraries.

Princess and HAL have cruised Alaska the longest so they tend to have better itineraries and longer port stays. Haven't done HAL but we did Princess and thought it was wonderful. Very Alaska focused. They have a naturalist on board that does presentations during the week and points out things along the way. While you are in Glacier Bay they bring Park Rangers on board to narrate what you are seeing. If you have a National Park Passport book you can get it stamped. They sell a 300 page book that comes with a map that follows the route your ship will take and it highlights good places to see wildlife and other points of interest that you will see between the ports. I hope this helps!

Would you consider adding a few days on the other end in anchorage? That might be nice as well, perhaps a cruise tour. 

I would also rule out NCL because of Ward Cove for Ketchikan which adds overhead (unless you are doing cruise ship excursions solely and no self exploring)

I haven't sailed those ships, but I've sailed sister ships of all 3.  I would drop the NCL option for a couple reasons.  One, their docking location in Ketch is terrible.  Two, I really do not like that class of ships.  

The HAL option is nice but the active side of you may very well find you bored on the ship.  HAL's entertainment and activities have been dwindled down to very little.  If ship entertainment is of zero concern, this would actually be my recommendation.  Their ships are really nice and great for scenic cruising.  

If you enjoy a good evening show or a gameshow that makes you laugh, pick Sapphire.  However, with this option, you'll sacrifice a little bit of room comfort.  No couches or seating other than vanity chair in standard rooms.