Which cruise line?

Hi, I've been cruising since 1992 myself, but not anymore after the pandemic. My friend enjoys dressing up for dinner and good food. In the past, he has cruised on Cunard, but there are noticeable cost cuts there as well. Could someone recommend a cruise line that still has those two criteria (2 weeks no more than 2500USD/pp)?

Most of the premium lines (Viking, Oceana, Regent, Azamara) will have dressier suggested wear.  But they also will almost all be at a premium fare that may be higher than Cunard.

Your price suggestion is totally subjective as fares will always be based on itinerary, ship, time of year, and length of cruise and will vary by those parameters. In other words that is not a viable way to gauge a cruise line as it is too fluid of a variable.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Most of the premium lines (Viking, Oceana, Regent, Azamara) will have dressier suggested wear.  But they also will almost all be at a premium fare that may be higher than Cunard.

Neither Oceania nor Azamara require dressing for dinner beyond the normal for most cruise lines (e.g., no shorts, collared shirt, no beachwear). There are no "formal" evenings and jackets are not required. I haven't been on the other two, so can't answer for them.

I believe Silversea is still a bit dressier in the evenings. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Neither Oceania nor Azamara require dressing for dinner beyond the normal for most cruise lines (e.g., no shorts, collared shirt, no beachwear). There are no "formal" evenings and jackets are not required. I haven't been on the other two, so can't answer for them.

I believe Silversea is still a bit dressier in the evenings. 

Thanks for this update.  I didn't think dressing for dinner was required or had designated formal nights (in particular Azamara) but thought it may be more upscale than others with them.  

IME VIKING maintains a relaxed dress code at dinner.  Jackets never required but in main dining and spec' rest's 'business casual' is enforced ... no shorts, no t-shirts, no ball caps.  You get away with some of this in 'world cafe' aka the buffet / alternate dining. Now that said I'd also add that the average cruiser on V' is a wee bit older (more mature) KIDS are not allowed 'PERIOD' so it would be rare to see someone TRY to violate IMO.

But 2 weeks on V' for $2500 .... I don't think so ......

• Like 1

Just gonna be blunt. Your criteria is a thing of the past. You’re not gonna find a 2 week cruise for $2500 on a line that hasn’t had noticeable cost cuts.  

Mainstream lines and other premium lines have all made cuts - even more than Cunard. I highly recommend Viking Ocean as an upgrade because they are new enough to not have cut quality like Oceania and Azamara but like the previous person said, not gonna happen at that price. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lucas34 said:

My friend enjoys dressing up for dinner and good food.... Could someone recommend a cruise line that still has those two criteria (2 weeks no more than 2500USD/pp)?

Holland America Line's Nieuw Statendam will be sailing R/T out of Copenhagen this coming summer. image.thumb.jpeg.6e671b4de20816f39cf1f87dbddf8d53.jpeg

The Best Price given (per person in a shared inside cabin, no extras included) is US$999 for the latter shown, and US$1149 for the one that goes above the Arctic Circle. 

A 14-day cruise will probably have four "dressy" evenings, with special items on the menu. Whether your shipmates dress up with you is to be seen! Guidelines are as someone reported above, but you are welcome to wear tuxes or dinner jackets or anything up to that, those nights, and coat & tie any nights.

The food is "fine" as in edible and probably better than I make at home, but not always "fine" as in FANCY! 

Anyway, I thought I'd put it out there. I thought sailing from Scandivania would lessen the tariff just getting to the port! You can research how much and which extras you might want to add to the "Best Price".