Carnival Splendor Jul 9 2024 sailing almost completely sold out?

It was similar last winter. Only 2 ships out of Sydney over winter and while still 3 months, it has been selling for 2 years and it is in school holidays.

There is a chance that some may change their mind when final payment is due in a few weeks time, so keep a daily eye on it if you are looking to book.

• Like 1

I think it is the time of year (Australian winter) and the lack of other competition leaving from Australian ports at that time.  I'm booked on a Carnival cruise in August, and it is also listed as 'sold out'.   I like getting away to warmer places in winter without having to fly long distance somewhere . Maybe the success of the Carnival offerings June to September will encourage other cruise lines to base ships in Australia then?

35 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I think it is the time of year (Australian winter) and the lack of other competition leaving from Australian ports at that time.  I'm booked on a Carnival cruise in August, and it is also listed as 'sold out'.   I like getting away to warmer places in winter without having to fly long distance somewhere . Maybe the success of the Carnival offerings June to September will encourage other cruise lines to base ships in Australia then?

Unlikely this decade. It isn't just about Carnival cruises. Carnival Corp is reluctant to place a ship in an port that will drain numbers away from sister brand P&O. At this stage, they have plenty of availability on all three P&O ships through this winter, so they aren't about to add more competition. Royal & NCL brands see better profits in the Northern hemisphere, so those ships will continue to follow the sun.

Carnival has been looking to base a year round ship in Brisbane. Prior to the covid shutdown, that was scheduled to happen with Carnival Spirit, but the passenger numbers just aren't there now. Each year, Carnival makes advanced port bookings in the QLD ports for Luminosa, but so far their projections don't meet beancounter expectations and they are still returning the ship to Alaska each year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Belmont Babe said:

Try selecting 1 or 3 guests instead of two, and see what comes up. Not that it will help, but it might give an indication of the number of cabins left overall.

I often do this for that reason.

On 3/29/2024 at 10:59 AM, Haoie said:

Went on the Explorer same time last year, so not keen on it again this year. Didn't like it that much TBH!

Have you been on Splendor?  The P&O ships are much nicer, in my opinion.  Especially the two ex-Princess ships.  I was quite fond of Carnival until a 3 nighter on Splendor, it put me off the brand completely.  The ship itself, the food, the service, the passengers, all unpleasant.

I enjoyed my 12 day cruise on Splendor last winter.  Yes, there were a lot of children, but it was easily possible to find places to get away from them.  I thought the food choices were good and I enjoyed much of the entertainment. Once I got over the shock, I actually liked seeking out more of the weird decor.  Maybe a three day cruise attracts a different crowd?

Yes I've sailed with Carnival before, twice in the US, never out of OZ, never on the Splendor.

3 days, damn, I wouldn't even consider that! Too party crowd!

Anyway I've managed to book in an oceanview now that there are some free spots - no assigned room yet but I hope it's a good one.

• Like 1

Looking at a single cruise during school holidays is not really representative of what demand looks like during winter.  I cruised on Spirit on the equivalent cruise in 2013 and it was also full with lots of families but it really isn't the best time to cruise out of Sydney.  The first sea-day and the last are very likely to be too cool to be outside and Australians aren't really attracted to cruising when you can't be outside. (I can't see P&O Australia ever attempting to copy P&O UK with winter cruising to cold weather ports across winter.) 

I'm sure if we looked at all cruises out of Sydney across winter, we would see demand remains seasonally low and discounting is rife.

Obviously cruising out of Brisbane over winter largely overcomes the weather issue but the value equation drops off as travellers from the 2 major population centres now have to either add airfares or incur higher airfares.

Some of us have to add airfares plus a night's accommodation for cruises out of Sydney. Leaving from Brisbane costs about the same, when you allow for cheaper accommodation.

I'm not fussed about a couple of cooler days at the start - plenty to do indoors.

• Like 1

In some, but not all cases, school holidays in NZ overlap with you guys in OZ.

Same time last year I took Pacific Explorer out of Auckland during school break. Not too keen to go on her again for the time being.