Osaka/kyoto overnight

jabrown40

I'm just in the planning stages of my trip.  Our itinerary includes an overnight for Kyoto, docked in Osaka.  I read it can be a ninety minute drive to Kyoto.  Would it make sense to do the first day In Kyoto, and the next in Osaka?

2 hours ago, CHPURSER said:

Shinkansen between Osaka and Kyoto is a 15 minute ride.

Regular train between Osaka and Kyoto is 29 minutes.

The information is base on travelling during regular hours between 7am - 6pm:

Shinkansen is 15 min travel time from Shin-Osaka station to Kyoto station, unreserved seat ticket is ¥3650, runs every 10 - 15min. JR Tokaido Line Rapid (not regular) is 30 min travel time from Osaka station to Kyoto station, fare is ¥580, runs every 15 min, regular had more stops takes 45 min.

Tempozan cruise terminal to Osaka station is 11 km; to Shin-Osaka station is 16km.

Sometimes Shinkansen is not the quickest travel option.

Personally, we try to visit both Kyoto and Osaka whenever we travel to the Kansai region of Japan.  But the variables are obviously kind of different with an overnight port of call.  On the surface, I kind of find it ambitious to try to do both (particularly if DIY and possibly struggling with transportation) but not impractical, particularly if this is going to be a rare visit to Japan.  

If you are arriving in the morning and departing late afternoon/early evening the next day and really want to visit both, consider heading to Kyoto your first day. On your return, maybe try to hit up Dotonbori/Namba in Osaka at night before heading back to the ship.  Then on day 2, you can hit up the rest of the stuff you want to see in Osaka.  

I prefer to spend more time in Kyoto because I find it more pedestrian friendly and cultural.  

Whereas, I find Osaka has more of a big city vibe (though both are big cities).  It's also kind of influenced by where we like to visit in each city.  

In Kyoto, we love visiting Nishiki Market and Teramachi covered shopping street/arcade, Gion district to catch a glimpse of maikos/geisha and check out the architecture, Pontocho alley, the Arashiyama bamboo forest, etc.

In Osaka, my main goal is to revisit the Dotonbori/Namba neighbourhood at night. It's just a really vibrant area at night with shopping, restaurants/eateries, classic neon signs, a waterfronty canal area, etc.  There are other attractions of course (castle, Kuromon market, etc) but with limited time, I'd prefer to spend it in Kyoto.  YMMV of course.  

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2024 at 12:09 AM, Miaminice said:

Maybe this helps: 
https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2970853-celebrity-millennium-japan-10242023-liveish-report/page/2/

This was our third Japan cruise. This time we did Kyoto on day one by Shinkansen and Osaka on day 2.

Cruise # 4 is already booked 🙂

I've been reading and rereading the three TR's you've done. They are a wealth of info. Thankyou.   We are doing a B2B in April May next year on Millenium. Some crossover ports but one has an overnighter in Osaka plus an overnighter in Kobe and the other has an afternoon and full day in Kobe. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, shonadamson said:

Does anyone know what port Celebrity Millennium docks at in Kyoto.  I am having trouble finding information that points to one dock. Thank you.

Kyoto is an inland city. Most cruise ships dock at Tempozan Cruise Terminal in Osaka, 30 miles south of Kyoto.