Purchase "Transfer only" from AMA (Prague to Nuremberg)

We are just about ready to book a 2025 river cruise with AMA, embarking the ship in Nuremberg. However, we would like to spend time in Prague on our own and book our own hotel. We would like to take the transfer to the ship from Prague, along with those booking the Prague pre-cruise package. I've read posts in the past indicating that this can be done, but can't find any confirmation on the AMA site that a "transfer-only" can be booked....and at what price.

Any recent experience or a pointer to this information?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

--Diana

2018, we did the pre-cruise package, and I want to say that there was a couple (or 2?) that met us at the hotel and had just purchased a transfer. I have no idea the price. The Airport to Hotel transfer is $30/person, but a transfer from Prague is like 4 hours, and I think includes tolls. We picked up our ship (AmaMagna) in Vilshofen, not Nuremburg, and included a stop in Regensburg. Not sure if a Nuremburg transfer also goes to Regensburg. 

Regardless of whether you are using a TA, I'd just call Ama directly and ask. 

You could also try pricing the transfer from DayTrip.com

We have used them in Italy and Portugal, and the service was very professional.  Their website also shows you options of sightseeing that you can add to the transfer, and they have a range of vehicle types (we usually upgrade to the MPV class to have lots of room for our luggage).

Posted (edited)

They definitely do Nuremberg to Prague with a stop in Pilsen on the way, normally this then is followed by 3 nights in Prague,I did that in 2021 with AMA. Pretty sure they do the reverse (since we ran into a group in Prague that was about to head to a ship the next day).

only AMA will advise if they will let you tag along.

Edited by CastleCritic

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2024 at 12:18 PM, CastleCritic said:

They definitely do Nuremberg to Prague with a stop in Pilsen on the way, normally this then is followed by 3 nights in Prague,I did that in 2021 with AMA. Pretty sure they do the reverse (since we ran into a group in Prague that was about to head to a ship the next day).

only AMA will advise if they will let you tag along.

We are doing AMA Budapest to Nuremberg Christmas highlights in November 2025 with both pre i2 nights in Budapest) and post (3 nights Prague).  Would love to hear more on ow you enjoyed the Prague add on.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

We are doing AMA Budapest to Nuremberg Christmas highlights in November 2025 with both pre i2 nights in Budapest) and post (3 nights Prague).  Would love to hear more on ow you enjoyed the Prague add on.

Well my experience is going to be somewhat unique owing to the 2021'ness of it. We only had 5 people go (and there were only 40 on the ship).

We left the ship about 9:30 on the bus with another I want to say about a dozen AMA passengers who had decided to get BACK on the ship and go back up the river.  They tagged along with us to the palace of justice where the famous WWII trials happened then we dropped them off at the train station so they could explore before heading back to the ship.  Then we drove around several "Germany of the 1940's administration" sites stopping at the zeppelin grounds, you know all the videos you see of 100s of thousands of people in an area listening to speeches? there. It's now been (as pretty much all the buildings had been) greatly repurposed and partially demolished but there is a lot of history there.  A few hours later we were dropped in the town square in  Pilsen to get lunch and then a small amount of tour before heading on to Prague arriving about 5 and then had a short orientation walk of the hotel area and how to get to "old town".

I ended up with personal tour as the only one who wanted to do the "active walker" tour.  I really enjoyed that tour, Standing on the square with a guide who was my age who was a teenager during the fall of communism just talking about differences in life experiences.  Walking through what at that time was still small crowds and then ending up at the castle (and then staying there on my own for a few more hours.  There was a LOT less structure to this extension than the others I have done (St Malo in France, Romania). That was the extent of the planned activity, we had an entire day to find things that interested us on our own.  I ended up just kind of messing around and then trying to do the national museum right before it closed (greatly underestimating how big it was, it's a really good museum.

There is a good bit you can do, I suggest a YouTube channel called "honest guide" (if you search for it as honest guide Prague it will probably be better) that shows a lot of the things you can do (and some of the less great things of the town, and tourist traps and scams).

I would definitely go back.

Edited by CastleCritic

3 hours ago, CastleCritic said:

Well my experience is going to be somewhat unique owing to the 2021'ness of it. We only had 5 people go (and there were only 40 on the ship).

We left the ship about 9:30 on the bus with another I want to say about a dozen AMA passengers who had decided to get BACK on the ship and go back up the river.  They tagged along with us to the palace of justice where the famous WWII trials happened then we dropped them off at the train station so they could explore before heading back to the ship.  Then we drove around several "Germany of the 1940's administration" sites stopping at the zeppelin grounds, you know all the videos you see of 100s of thousands of people in an area listening to speeches? there. It's now been (as pretty much all the buildings had been) greatly repurposed and partially demolished but there is a lot of history there.  A few hours later we were dropped in the town square in  Pilsen to get lunch and then a small amount of tour before heading on to Prague arriving about 5 and then had a short orientation walk of the hotel area and how to get to "old town".

I ended up with personal tour as the only one who wanted to do the "active walker" tour.  I really enjoyed that tour, Standing on the square with a guide who was my age who was a teenager during the fall of communism just talking about differences in life experiences.  Walking through what at that time was still small crowds and then ending up at the castle (and then staying there on my own for a few more hours.  There was a LOT less structure to this extension than the others I have done (St Malo in France, Romania). That was the extent of the planned activity, we had an entire day to find things that interested us on our own.  I ended up just kind of messing around and then trying to do the national museum right before it closed (greatly underestimating how big it was, it's a really good museum.

There is a good bit you can do, I suggest a YouTube channel called "honest guide" (if you search for it as honest guide Prague it will probably be better) that shows a lot of the things you can do (and some of the less great things of the town, and tourist traps and scams).

I would definitely go back.

Thanks for all the feedback.  Much appreciated.  This will be our first.

16 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

We did pre-cruise 3 might extension in Prague with AmaWaterways a year ago. First post covers Prague. However, I tied in with a Christmas Markets cruise, I suppose things might be a bit different. Certainly colder, and not as nice for walking around. And not sure if their Christmas Markets will have started yet?

My wife and I loved Prague, and would happily go back.

6 hours ago, RobInMN said:

We did pre-cruise 3 might extension in Prague with AmaWaterways a year ago. First post covers Prague. However, I tied in with a Christmas Markets cruise, I suppose things might be a bit different. Certainly colder, and not as nice for walking around. And not sure if their Christmas Markets will have started yet?

My wife and I loved Prague, and would happily go back.

Thanks for the info and the link to the review.  Very helpful.