Taxi from Hotel to Gatwick how early do they run?

Hello,

I need some help please for out transportation to the Gatwick airport after our TA cruise in May 2024. We plan to stay in London for a couple of days then fly one way back to Miami on Norse Atlantic airlines. The flight leaves at 10 am.

We are staying in a hotel in Sussex Gardens area and I know if we take the train we will have to go to Victoria and take the Southern Train and it starts running I believe at 7:30 am. Here's where we need help we are 3 Adults over 50 and were not sure what will be the best way to get to Gatwick early enough, we are hoping to go to the Priority Lounge in the Southern Terminal before our flight if that helps with the timing. 

What time does the Taxis run and how much could the cost be to Southern Terminal Gatwick? How early does Uber run and are they reliable to pick us up and how much could the cost be?

Thank you for any and all the help.

3 hours ago, shay1 said:

I know if we take the train we will have to go to Victoria and take the Southern Train and it starts running I believe at 7:30 am.

That would be a no on both accounts. For train journeys from Victoria to LGW you have a choice of either Southern trains or the Gatwick Express; looking at the schedule on the National Rail site, the first Southern train is at 4:30, while the first Gatwick Express is at 5:14.

But starting your journey from Sussex Gardens means you have other options. Depending on where exactly on Sussex Gardens you're staying and how close you are to Paddington, you could take the Elizabeth Line from there to Farringdon and connect to the Thameslink train which will also get you to LGW, or take a bus or taxi to St. Pancras to catch the Thameslink train from there.

That’s a Saturday, so trains pretty much as Twickenham described above (the first Gatwick Express is a little later, I think). I’m genuinely puzzled why you thought there was no service until 0730 - there is at least one Thameslink train an hour from central London to Gatwick throughout the night, plus the very early start of services from Victoria. .  

I googled it and some site that I checked showed that time. It was not the train schedule site I am sure.

Thank you all for your answers. I have also had my sister that is going with us check on her Uber app what the cost would be from our hotel to Gatwick and when you add up the cost of Uber to Train and Train to Gatwick it appears to be almost the same. Is there something I am missing? We plan on leaving around 5:30 am or there about. Would appreciate your opinion on this.

Thank you.

19 hours ago, shay1 said:

May 18, 2024

50 minutes ago, shay1 said:

I googled it and some site that I checked showed that time. It was not the train schedule site I am sure.

Here's a page showing that specific day's planned timetable, using information coming directly from the rail network (the signalling system's plan, I believe): https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:VIC/to/gb-nr:GTW/2024-05-18/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt. You can see that the first Southern train that morning will be at 0430, and the first Gatwick Express will be at 0529. (The list does include slow trains that stop everywhere in between London Victoria and Gatwick Airport, and are probably worth ignoring.)

56 minutes ago, shay1 said:

I have also had my sister that is going with us check on her Uber app what the cost would be from our hotel to Gatwick and when you add up the cost of Uber to Train and Train to Gatwick it appears to be almost the same. Is there something I am missing?

One big thing is that if you're going to Gatwick, road travel is dreadful but rail travel is bliss.

Posted (edited)

For a 10am flight with some lounge time, I’d probably aim for the 6:35, 6:54 or 7:05 Southern trains. There is also a 6:29 or 6:59 Gatwick Express but that costs considerably more for only a very slightly faster journey.

The station at Gatwick is attached to the South Terminal so you are literally seconds from check-in and security when you emerge. No long walks (well apart from once you’re airside, to the gate).

If you have a London Oyster card or a contactless credit or debit card, you can use that to pay for the train to Gatwick; you don’t need to buy a paper ticket.

The contactless/Oyster fare is £10.10 per person on Southern or £22.90 on the Gatwick Express (rip-off!). Uber from your hotel to Gatwick is currently showing £84 so the train will cost considerably less and will be faster.

Edited by gumshoe958

gumshoe958 Thank you for all your information. I watched a YouTube video today it was dated a year ago and they stopped and purchased ticket right at the turn style and paid the higher price. Glad to know it is cheaper to just use our contactless credit card. That makes a big difference in the price. 

6 hours ago, shay1 said:

I googled it and some site that I checked showed that time.

Ah, I wonder if you happened to hit upon a reduced timetable due to industrial action. 

4 hours ago, shay1 said:

Glad to know it is cheaper to just use our contactless credit card.

Gatwick rail pricing is possibly the most complicated on the network, but extremely simple in one sense - pay as you go, by Oyster or contactless, is the best. You will need a card (or mobile device with a payment method) each, though. Just make sure you avoid the Gatwick Express. 

And as Globaliser says, and it's one thing most of us around here agree on, the drive to Gatwick from town is a dreadful journey through south London suburbia. If you were going to do it, I guess 0530 on a weekend is the best time, but I really would not. 

Thank you all for taking the time to give us your opinions/advise on the best way to get to Gatwick. We will wait until we get to London to make our plans the day before we fly out to which way we will go. Probably take the Train (not the Gatwick Exp). I am looking forward to taking the train. Last time we rode the train in London was many, many years ago, we went to Hampton Court. 

4 hours ago, shay1 said:

Thank you all for taking the time to give us your opinions/advise on the best way to get to Gatwick. We will wait until we get to London to make our plans the day before we fly out to which way we will go. Probably take the Train (not the Gatwick Exp). I am looking forward to taking the train. Last time we rode the train in London was many, many years ago, we went to Hampton Court. 

Did anyone ever answer the original question? I don't know the answer, but I imagine you can order up a cab from your hotel at any hour of the day or night. (Obviously no one on this forum suggests this is the right way to go ...)