Going to the Pharmacy in Cozumel

I purchased Retin-A (40g) .1% many years ago in Mexico and was going to buy some more. Just wondering about current prices. Probably going to go away from the port pharmacy and go to the Wal-mart (Cozumel). Any idea how much that should currently cost?

Also, planning to purchase Prednisone either 10 or 20 mg. Any idea on pricing? And, does it come in a bottle or the punch pack (which tells you when to take it)?

Do I need to ask for these things up at the counter or can I browse the pharmacy area. I believe both items do NOT need a script.

Forgive my ignorance or question... but do you worry at all that the medicines are not authentic or pure?  I have been to Cozumel multiple times and often thought about buying meds but never got brave enough to follow through.  

I am worried about it. I certainly wouldn't buy meds and then use them on the ship. I will wait until I get home and then only do it while DH is around and can call the ambulance. Just in case it is laced w Fentanyl, I guess.  I did contact the pharmacy from above and they responded. We will have to see. I do not think DH will be on board with this idea, but I need something to stop the suffering.  The doctors broke me and now they just shrug their shoulders with how to fix me. And they don't listen.

I understand your concern. But, keep in mind that tourists are a small part of the pharmacy business in Cozumel. Local doctors send their own patients to the pharmacies for medications. This past December we took a land vacation to Cozumel for nine days, and I had to see a doctor while we were there. He told me what to get, and I just asked at the pharmacy counter.

If you know the dosage of the medication you need, just ask at the counter if they have it. We have used Mexican pharmacies many times. (We've never bought any medications from shops along the way, just at the actual Farmacias.) We've found the prices are quite reasonable.

You shouldn't worry about contamination. Reputable pharmacies sell factory sealed medications labeled in Spanish. It isn't at all the same as buying street drugs that come from who-knows-where. Farmacias don't want to kill off their customers - it's bad for business! 🙂

• Like 1