Decisions...Jaime's Blue Reef or La Chilangaloense

KarlK

Posted (edited)

I think I have a stop at Costa Maya nailed down to one of these two. I imagine pressure from "Beach vendors" is the same. Both are same area, both have food recommendations. Any words, warnings

or opinions from this crowd?

Edited by KarlK

Book early when you have made your decision. Several places were sold out when I inquired in early February for our late March cruise (we booked very late for us).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I cannot give you a personal recommendation as I haven’t actually been to either. However I have considered both in the past so here are some general observations which may help since you don’t seem to be getting many first-hand replies.

La Chilanganoense has been operating under that name for a few years and appears to be affiliated to the small hotel near the port. It seems to be the venue for several excursions/packages both through the cruise line and independently which leads me to believe there may be more transient guests through the day.  It offers some workshop activities like salsa, tequila, food tasting etc and possibly snorkeling? I haven’t read many reviews, good or bad, on CC only TripAdvisor so difficult to assess quality and ambiance for cruisers.

Jaimie’s is a popular location often recommended on CC. It promotes AI for pre-bookings but does take PAYG on space available basis. We tend to prefer PAYG option while cruising but weren’t particularly impressed by the location when we walked past a couple of years ago so didn’t call in to see if we could do PAYG “on the day”. They have recently opened a second location, Lunas as an “overflow”  on the edge of the town near where the paved malecon becomes more bumpy which follows a similar price model.

I presume you can book one or the other by choice and but are probably offered Lunas if Blue Reef is full. Since it is on the southern edge of town it is probably quieter regarding vendors. We may check it out next time we are in port.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1