ETA Required for Americans entering UK?

I keep hearing that Americans will have to register via the ETA when entering the UK in 2024, but I cannot find a start date. Is this already in effect?

We are cruising out of Southampton in June, so I'm trying to figure out if we need to apply.

Posted (edited)

Perhaps it's the same thing? It's called the ETA on this website.

https://www.etauk.uk/requirements/us-citizens

This site also discusses it, but just says 'in 2024' without specific dates.

https://uk-eta.com/eta-eligibility/uk-eta-for-american-citizens-everything-travellers-need-to-know/

If it has been pushed to 2025, that would be very helpful! 😉

Edited by helenb

Okay, after some online investigation... ETIAS is for the EU. I am talking about the ETA (which seems to be a similar thing) for people entering the UK.

Yep, that looks consistent with the information I found... what's bothering me is the vagueness of 'later in 2024' to roll out to other countries.

Ah well, our trip is in 2 months. Perhaps I should just take it for granted that they can't announce and then begin enforcement in such a short time period? 😉

Posted (edited)

Original response removed - I was asserting that one of the web sites you quoted indicated that anyone staying <6 months didn't need an ETA, but the OTHER website seems to contradict that.  So I am equally confused as the UK's own sites are in disagreement.

Edited by dstein

2 hours ago, helenb said:

Perhaps it's the same thing? It's called the ETA on this website.

https://www.etauk.uk/requirements/us-citizens

This site also discusses it, but just says 'in 2024' without specific dates.

https://uk-eta.com/eta-eligibility/uk-eta-for-american-citizens-everything-travellers-need-to-know/

If it has been pushed to 2025, that would be very helpful! 😉

Although the websites that you provided links for have good information about applying for ETA for travel to the United Kingdom (UK) I don't think that they are the official government website.

I believe that this is the official UK government website:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-an-electronic-travel-authorisation-eta

Currently, US citizens don't have to apply yet, but that could be changing sometime before the end of 2024. You can sign up for email notifications when they update the list of countries that need to apply for ETA.

I am cruising out of Southampton in June, 2024, too and just keep checking the website occasionally.

Hopefully someone from the UK will comment on this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, marys350 said:

Although the websites that you provided links for have good information about applying for ETA for travel to the United Kingdom (UK) I don't think that they are the official government website.

100% correct and thank you for pointing this out. These types of website often transition into near-scams which charge a fee for an application process that is free (there is, of course, a charge for the ETA itself). 

As far as I know, there is no published timetable for the global rollout. I believe the ambition is still for this calendar year. 

Beekee did post a screen shot of the UK government website up thread, but described it as Ukrainian. (The domain identifier for Ukraine is UA). 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle
  • Like 2

Thank you, everyone for your responses. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one confused, because that might mean that there have been no announcements/official statements... *fingers crossed*. I'm guessing that this might be like the Real ID rollout in the US that keeps being pushed forward and pushed forward and pushed forward...

5 hours ago, helenb said:

Thank you, everyone for your responses. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one confused, because that might mean that there have been no announcements/official statements... *fingers crossed*. I'm guessing that this might be like the Real ID rollout in the US that keeps being pushed forward and pushed forward and pushed forward...

I’d bet a lot of money on it not being in force when you arrive in June. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

I’d bet a lot of money on it not being in force when you arrive in June. 

While I certainly wouldn't take that bet, I'd encourage the original poster to check again later. The site is already operational for some countries, and now it's just a matter of rolling it out to new ones - in theory that could happen quickly.

5 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

While I certainly wouldn't take that bet, I'd encourage the original poster to check again later. The site is already operational for some countries, and now it's just a matter of rolling it out to new ones - in theory that could happen quickly.

The announcement for Qatari nationals (from 25 October 2023) and the rest of the current list (from 1 February 2024) was made in early March last year.  I'd expect the notice period for each future increase in the countries requiring this to be an absolute minimum of three months, more likely six, and it's a virtual certainty that they will not commence during the main summer travel period.

• Like 1

There was something in the FAQ on the site stating that as countries were added, they would be given sufficient time to adapt. The question is, what is sufficient time. 6 months is very reasonable. 2 months, maybe not?

Regardless, TounchstoneFeste's suggestion is very reasonable. I check all of my travel arrangements again a couple of weeks before I travel, and this is something else that should be added to that list.

3 hours ago, helenb said:

There was something in the FAQ on the site stating that as countries were added, they would be given sufficient time to adapt. The question is, what is sufficient time. 6 months is very reasonable. 2 months, maybe not?

Regardless, TounchstoneFeste's suggestion is very reasonable. I check all of my travel arrangements again a couple of weeks before I travel, and this is something else that should be added to that list.

There will be plenty of notice, and it will be well publicised. 

• Like 2