Book direct with Little French Key or Five Star Roatan?

Stacie53

Looking at booking for our cruise next month. We want to do Little French Key and add on the monkey and sloths. It's $30 more to do it direct through Little French Key ($778 total... $654 for tickets and $124 for fees) than to book with Five Star Roatan ($748 total..$690 for tickets and $58 for tax and fees). Does anyone have any experience with either and if it's better to book one over the other? They don't list hours on LFK, but through Five Star it says seven hours, although we would want to come back earlier to avoid being left behind or overheating (medical issues). Thank you for any advice you can share!!

I no longer recommend Little French Key. Brady's Cay is a much better option. If you hire a private driver, like Jezy from Roatan Driver, she would be more than happy to teach you about her beloved island and make all your dreams come true. 

I recommend Little French Key - I was there in March and it was great. Make sure you book through Little French Key RESORT. You can email them your reservation and pay when you get there. Don't pay in advance through the website that does NOT have resort in the name.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 12:48 PM, Oregonjulig said:

I recommend Little French Key - I was there in March and it was great. Make sure you book through Little French Key RESORT. You can email them your reservation and pay when you get there. Don't pay in advance through the website that does NOT have resort in the name.

Thank you for this answer. I was looking at the website with the word RESORT and found a website without the same word and was wondering which to use. I did find a FB group with the word RESORT in it as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2024 at 1:47 PM, Guest 2000 said:

I no longer recommend Little French Key. Brady's Cay is a much better option. If you hire a private driver, like Jezy from Roatan Driver, she would be more than happy to teach you about her beloved island and make all your dreams come true. 

@Guest 2000 What makes Brady's Cay a better option in your opinion? I see that it's cheaper but does it have the same/similar activities? It looks like paddle boards/kayaks are an option. Do they have a big rope swing like LFK? What do you like better about it?

On 5/28/2024 at 2:36 PM, amypintx said:

@Guest 2000 What makes Brady's Cay a better option in your opinion? I see that it's cheaper but does it have the same/similar activities? It looks like paddle boards/kayaks are an option. Do they have a big rope swing like LFK? What do you like better about it?

Little French Key has disgusting business practices. If you use the search here you will find all kinds of evidence of their wrong doing.  They kept telling the public they will clean up their act but the abuse of animals amd environment continues.  I choose not to support that sort of behavior in anyway. 

1 hour ago, Guest 2000 said:

Little French Key has disgusting business practices. If you use the search here you will find all kinds of evidence of their wrong doing.  They kept telling the public they will clean up their act but the abuse of animals amd environment continues.  I choose not to support that sort of behavior in anyway. 

are you saying the practices continue? Do you have any links to support that?

I have other issues with the whole concept of Little French Key and its development but I haven’t been following recently since the husband and wife split up so I am not up to date so despite it still being very commercialized I thought they had cleaned up their act?

However I have yet to hear who actually owns and has developed Brady’s Cay? I am assuming this is separate development to the cruise line area of Big French Cay?  Have you been?

It has been a long time since we went to Roatan and I am out of touch. I have never had the warm fuzzy feeling shared by so many cruisers despite visiting since about 2005.

Edited by c-leg5

15 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

are you saying the practices continue? Do you have any links to support that?

I have other issues with the whole concept of Little French Key and its development but I haven’t been following recently since the husband and wife split up so I am not up to date so despite it still being very commercialized I thought they had cleaned up their act?

However I have yet to hear who actually owns and has developed Brady’s Cay? I am assuming this is separate development to the cruise line area of Big French Cay?  Have you been?

It has been a long time since we went to Roatan and I am out of touch. I have never had the warm fuzzy feeling shared by so many cruisers despite visiting since about 2005.

The reason I was so late in responding was a because I was not sure.   Today someone asked about LFK on one of the Roatan Facebook pages.  Unfortunately, I was not aware until today that Big French Key and Brady's Cay are on the same island across the lagoon from LFK. It is said one can hear the miserable cats from both places. I would not give money to LFK because of their abuse of animals but I also don't have a hard enough heart to be anywhere near the caged cats. Everyone has to make their own choice but I refuse to give any business to LFK.  

Let's see if this pic works...

Screenshot_20240602-164917_Facebook.jpg

56 minutes ago, Guest 2000 said:

The reason I was so late in responding was a because I was not sure.   Today someone asked about LFK on one of the Roatan Facebook pages

OK so you haven’t any personal knowledge to recommend Brady’s Cay? It is more by default? Why would you recommend somewhere without knowing where it is?

I am well aware of the history of LFK, have followed from the beginning, as I am sure you have. I have never actually been, initially I was interested, but from early days it became apparent it  wasn’t all as was advertised.

Hearsay is great, the internet is good at that, but personal knowledge is more appropriate. I am still no further forward with information about Brady’s Cay. - owner? Ethics? I can’t imagine Big French Cay is very large and I thought a section opposite to LFK was developed for use by the cruise lines (not sure if any particular cruise line has a financial interest or excursions are third party, just sold under contract) but I understood the other half of the cay  belonged to individual property owners.

There is a lot of political in-fighting on Roatan which I know you must realize, so to suggest somewhere without background information doesn’t really work for me.

• Like 1