Madrid Intercontinental Hotel post extension

hutch1994

Be careful when staying at this hotel.  Was part of the Viking post extension in Madrid and just got hit with a bill for $216.00 euros even though we didn't have any charges there and it was a zero bill when we checked out.  This comes from them requesting a credit card for incidental charges.  Naturally, we are challenging this charge.  Very bad form on their part.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

Be careful when staying at this hotel.  Was part of the Viking post extension in Madrid and just got hit with a bill for $216.00 euros even though we didn't have any charges there and it was a zero bill when we checked out.  This comes from them requesting a credit card for incidental charges.  Naturally, we are challenging this charge.  Very bad form on their part.

Most hotels place a minimum pending charge to cover incidentals then they reverse it. Is the charge no longer in the “pending” state and is actually due?

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

1 minute ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Most hotels place a minimum pending charge to cover incidentals then reverse it. Is the charge no longer in the “pending” state and is actually due?

216 euros is more than incidentals. Should have never been charged in the first place.  Can see swiping it just in case,  but charging to it is a different story

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

216 euros is more than incidentals. Should have never been charged in the first place.  Can see swiping it just in case,  but charging to it is a different story

In my experience this is how it works. I’ve always been charged hundreds of euros, dollars, pesos, etc. at check-in and it always gets reversed. It may appear as “pending” for a few weeks and if in that state you cannot dispute it until it clears. Typically the front desk informs you of the amount and the fact that it will be reversed.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Auto rental companies will often do the same.  They place a substantial hold / pending charge on the credit or debit card until the vehicle is returned and inspected.

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

In my experience this is how it works. I’ve always been charged hundreds of euros, dollars, pesos, etc. at check-in and it always gets reversed. It may appear as “pending” for a few weeks and if in that state you cannot dispute it until it clears. Typically the front desk informs you of the amount and the fact that it will be reversed.

We were told zero balance when we checked out.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

We were told zero balance when we checked out.

Yes, your balance is zero, I’ve always been told the same. That is not the same as the deposit on your card. That is posted to your account when they swipe your card at check in and is later reversed after checkout. The entire process may take a week or more to go through the system. It’s how it works at every hotel I’ve ever used. If the charge appears on your account as “pending” you have nothing to worry about and nothing you can do until the charge clears. Unless the charge is actually “due,” I think you are overreacting to this entire situation. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

51 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Yes, your balance is zero, I’ve always been told the same. That is not the same as the deposit on your card. That is posted to your account when they swipe your card at check in and is later reversed after checkout. The entire process may take a week or more to go through the system. It’s how it works at every hotel I’ve ever used. If the charge appears on your account as “pending” you have nothing to worry about and nothing you can do until the charge clears. Unless the charge is actually “due,” I think you are overreacting to this entire situation. 

We've had the same experiences many times in Europe. For some reason it seems to take longer for the "pending" transaction to be reversed, but it always has been.  Give it a couple days and then do the blood pressure raise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

Wow -

Your trip has sure been a trip full of issues and bad luck!  Sometimes they all seem to hit on one vacation, don't they.   Hoping you don't give up travel and keep trying.