Tours from the dock in S Queensferry

Are there taxis, tour companies etc. that are on the dock selling tours when the tender comes ashore.  Or is there a shuttle bus that goes into Edinburgh.  Two seniors looking for the simplest way to sightsee.  HAL did not have any tours that looked terribly interesting to us.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

There are normally taxis at the end of the pier, but no companies selling tours.

The X99 Cruiselink bus (https://www.lothianbuses.com/cruiselink-x99/) takes you into town.  A £12.00 ticket for this gives unlimited access to the X99, plus all city buses in Edinburgh and the Edinburgh tram.  This means that you can use them for just a quick hop of a stop or two to save your legs!

The X99 ticket sellers also sell tickets for the HOHO buses run by their sister company.  I always recommend the green Edinburgh Tour route as it has a live guide.  See the link at the bottom of the X99 page.

If you're happy doing a walking tour once in the city, then I'd suggest Mercat Tours (https://www.mercattours.com/) though if you're here during August, then the free (and I really do mean free; no tips are expected) Edinburgh Festival Guides tour (http://www.edinburghfestivalguides.org/) is worth investigating.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Marken said:

Are there taxis, tour companies etc. that are on the dock selling tours when the tender comes ashore.  Or is there a shuttle bus that goes into Edinburgh.  Two seniors looking for the simplest way to sightsee.

Should you want a tour or would prefer a taxi instead of the X99,  go to

https://www.cruiseforth.com/, click "find my ship" then select "getting around" and click on S Queensferry.  There you will find contact info for taxis.

And reading past threads can give lots of info and suggestions for your short time in the city.  If you have not already done so, choose which of these past Edinburgh threads to read.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=edinburgh&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=148

Edited by edinburgher

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ski ww said:

Our plan is to use the hop on/off for the day.

May or may not work for you as there are a number of streets in Edinburgh which HOHOS cannot drive along. This applies especially in the Old Town, and depending on your arrival date, as an example, if on any date in August, large sections of the Royal Mile/High Street are closed to all traffic,as much of it becomes pedestrian only during the Festivals which take place throughout August.

If your visit is in August, and actually at all other times, the best way to enjoy the Royal Mile/High Street is on foot.😀

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the closet stop to the Edinburgh castle on the X99.  The last time we were in Edinburgh (stayed in an apartment in Stockbridge) we took a bus from the Britannia (Port of Leith) back into town.  We ended up getting off too early at a stop near Waverley and had to walk up that very steep set of stairs to get to the castle.

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Where is the closet stop to the Edinburgh castle on the X99.  The last time we were in Edinburgh (stayed in an apartment in Stockbridge) we took a bus from the Britannia (Port of Leith) back into town.  We ended up getting off too early at a stop near Waverley and had to walk up that very steep set of stairs to get to the castle.

There is only one stop for the X99 - it's been moved to George Street, just outside The Hard Rock Café because of building work at the previous stop: https://www.lothianbuses.com/cruiselink-x99/

Whether you get the bus or tram from Britannia none of then go near to the castle, you still need to get up to it - that's either up the steps or on the road next to them (The Mound).  The advantage of getting an X99 ticket is that it's also a day ticket for all the city buses, so you can catch one for just a single stop from the bottom to the top of The Mound

• Like 1

OK, that's not sounding good.  I should have been more clear with what our goal is for an upcoming trip. 

Our cruise ship docks in South Queensferry and we have planned to take X99 from the port to the city center.  Our goal is to get to the Old Town area of Edinburgh, with the least amount of walking up stairs/hills.  We would like to start at the top of the Royal Mile, near the castle, and walk our way down to Holyrood Castle.  We like to walk, but asthma keeps me from doing steep climbs.  Suggestions after getting off of the X99?

7 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

OK, that's not sounding good.  I should have been more clear with what our goal is for an upcoming trip. 

Our cruise ship docks in South Queensferry and we have planned to take X99 from the port to the city center.  Our goal is to get to the Old Town area of Edinburgh, with the least amount of walking up stairs/hills.  We would like to start at the top of the Royal Mile, near the castle, and walk our way down to Holyrood Castle.  We like to walk, but asthma keeps me from doing steep climbs.  Suggestions after getting off of the X99?

1. Catch the X99 from South Queensferry to George Street.  This gives you a Network DAYticket that lets you on any city bus.
  2. From the Hard Rock Café, walk along George Street (flat) and round the corner (downhill) to the bus stop at the south end of Hannover Street.
  3. Take the first bus that comes (this could be the 9, the 23 or the 27) for two stops to the Victoria Street stop on George IV Bridge
  4. Cross George IV Bridge and take Victoria Terrace (flat).  This is a covered walkway immediately to the right of Victoria Street.  Victoria Street drops away on your left.  At the moment, the start of Victoria Terrace is under scaffolding, so don't miss it.
  5. Take the short steps uphill to Castlehill and then uphill onto the Castle Esplanade.  This will be the only uphill bit and, other than missing the castle end of the Royal Mile, there's no way to avoid it.
  6. If you're visiting the castle (remember to buy a ticket online in advance as they sell out) take advantage of the free accessibility ride from the castle gates to the top of the hill (See under "Visiting the site" here: https://www.edinburghcastle.scot/plan-your-visit/access-guide)
  7. As you're aware, it's downhill the one mile from the castle to Holyrood.
  8. In your circumstances, I'd catch a taxi from Holyrood to the Hard Rock Café to take the X99 back to South Queensferry.  It should be well under £10

Enjoy your day in Edinburgh!!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/QK6CU8Ee3tgAADpt6

image.thumb.png.e9b63ff7197d5f2d03fd8bf38e2edbbe.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

Take the short steps uphill to Castlehill and then uphill onto the Castle Esplanade.  This will be the only uphill bit and, other than missing the castle end of the Royal Mile, there's no way to avoid it.

I appreciate your detailed response! Similar to @Iamthesea, Mr. Blue has mobility issues but travels with a standard wheelchair. We planned to take the X99 from S Queensferry into Edinburgh then take a cab or Uber to the castle gate, walking back down to Holyrood. From what I've read so far, the Castle is (somewhat) accessible, and I am aware of the access ride from the gates to the top of the hill.

A few questions for you --Am I reading this correctly that it is not possible to take a cab or Uber from the X99 (Hard Rock cafe area) to the castle gate? Can you be more specific about the short steps and uphill bit? Are there 3 or 4 short steps or a flight of stairs? Is the uphill bit quite steep? Mr. Blue can walk up a few stairs, but a flight is too much. And if the uphill bit is quite steep, pushing the chair may be too much for me on my own. We tend to be adventurous and have navigated many a cobblestone path and hill, but I like to make informed decisions in planning as much as possible. 

21 minutes ago, Blue and Green said:

I appreciate your detailed response! Similar to @Iamthesea, Mr. Blue has mobility issues but travels with a standard wheelchair. We planned to take the X99 from S Queensferry into Edinburgh then take a cab or Uber to the castle gate, walking back down to Holyrood. From what I've read so far, the Castle is (somewhat) accessible, and I am aware of the access ride from the gates to the top of the hill.

A few questions for you --Am I reading this correctly that it is not possible to take a cab or Uber from the X99 (Hard Rock cafe area) to the castle gate? Can you be more specific about the short steps and uphill bit? Are there 3 or 4 short steps or a flight of stairs? Is the uphill bit quite steep? Mr. Blue can walk up a few stairs, but a flight is too much. And if the uphill bit is quite steep, pushing the chair may be too much for me on my own. We tend to be adventurous and have navigated many a cobblestone path and hill, but I like to make informed decisions in planning as much as possible. 

For ease, I'd maybe suggest that you take a taxi from the Hard Rock Café to the Castle Esplanade.  They all take cards, and I'd guess that the fare will be around £5.00.  The X99 and the city buses can all accommodate wheelchairs, as can taxis, but not normally Uber cars.

But I was mistaken about the steps off Victoria Terrace (they only go down from there to Victoria Street below).  It's actually a small cobbled road (Upper Bow), and you may feel OK with pushing the wheelchair on this.  The pavement/sidewalk is quite narrow, but there should be no traffic as it's not a through-road:https://maps.app.goo.gl/woXfiRNoK5cN5A3z6

image.thumb.png.9c0753dd0cbf0073fd10a971c45c8230.png

Upper Bow emerges onto the mini-roundabout to the left of this next photo, and the route to the castle is upwards to the right of the yellow signs: https://maps.app.goo.gl/SHH3ZgdJcC3kb5vt9

image.thumb.png.a3eba12994830695b6912603487cad3b.png

It's not very steep, but can get quite crowded at busy times.  Most traffic is banned from Castlehill, and the pavements are smooth and quite wide on the left hand side.

You could also have taken a route doubling back from the bus stop on George IV Bridge and via Lawnmarket (see my original map).  But the view into Victoria Street (said to be JK Rowling's inspiration for Diagon Alley) from Victoria Terrace is very nice:

image.thumb.png.d9f38d399a1a8a8ff94e5d6b92bffc10.png

1 hour ago, fruitmachine said:

For ease, I'd maybe suggest that you take a taxi from the Hard Rock Café to the Castle Esplanade.  They all take cards, and I'd guess that the fare will be around £5.00.  The X99 and the city buses can all accommodate wheelchairs, as can taxis, but not normally Uber cars.

Wow, thanks so much! The photos are very helpful. The walk looks doable (we've done more difficult) but it is also nice to have the easy option and save energy for the rest of the day. Again, I appreciate your detailed assistance!

• Like 1

Oh, this information is so wonderful.  Thank you very much! 

DH and I are looking it over.  DH had said earlier that we should just take a taxi and getting off of the X99!  I had not thought about that. 😉  I prefer to walk and be able to see unexpected nooks and crannies.

To answer your question about Edinburgh Castle, we have toured it before and will not be doing so again.  I just want to start the walk at the top of the Royal Mile.  We are familiar with Victoria street and getting to the castle, so taking another bus to that point would work.   However, we are also looking at taking a tour once we get up to the top.

Question:  After seeing Holyrood Place, you suggested we get a cab back to the X99 stop, and you mapped out the way.  Is that route walkable?  I cannot tell if the grade is level or up hill.

8 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Oh, this information is so wonderful.  Thank you very much! 

DH and I are looking it over.  DH had said earlier that we should just take a taxi and getting off of the X99!  I had not thought about that. 😉  I prefer to walk and be able to see unexpected nooks and crannies.

To answer your question about Edinburgh Castle, we have toured it before and will not be doing so again.  I just want to start the walk at the top of the Royal Mile.  We are familiar with Victoria street and getting to the castle, so taking another bus to that point would work.   However, we are also looking at taking a tour once we get up to the top.

Question:  After seeing Holyrood Place, you suggested we get a cab back to the X99 stop, and you mapped out the way.  Is that route walkable?  I cannot tell if the grade is level or up hill.

There are a couple of routes:

Return up the Royal Mile (gentle but uphill all the way) as far as North Bridge, then downhill on North Bridge, level on Princes Street, and a small uphill on South St Andrews Street to the X99 in George Street.  The only issue with this is that you've gone higher than you need to on that first leg.

Follow Calton Road (just to the north of the Royal Mile) to Leith Street.  This is level for most of the way, but finishes with a short steeper uphill section.  Then uphill on Leith Street to join the north end of North Bridge as above.  The biggest issue with this route is that it's a bit boring (!) as you're at the bottom of the valley between The Royal Mile and Calton Hill.