Le Havre to Monet’s garden in Giverny

Bluestar01

Hello

we are planning on going to Monet’s garden in Giverny from Le Havre when we visit their in early June. Has anyone been there? We are planning on taking train to Vernon. However looks like there are shuttles from Vernon to Giverny but the schedule isn’t working for us. I also read taxis can take you from the train station in Vernon. Has anyone done that? How easy or difficult it is to find transportation and drivers who speak English.

thanks. 

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Bluestar01 said:

How easy or difficult it is to find transportation and drivers who speak English.

Should  you not rent a car and the shuttle buses not work for you, taxi drivers will be used to transferring visitors to the garden and should easily understand the english version "The garden of Claud Monet" easily enough.  Same for the return.  The train station should also be easily understood,   Vernon train station please, but you could write down(or be able to access)  the equivalent in french should you prefer to show a driver.

Le jardin de Claude Monet à Giverny svp.

la gare du Verdon svp,

or to avoid any doubt,

la Gare SNCF  du Vernon svp.(as including  the phrase "gare SNCF" makes it clear  that it  is the train station you want to go to). The bus station is" la gare routiere"😀 

Should there be both a bus and a train station in Verdon, asking for "la gare" would likely have the driver ask for clarification which of the two you want to go to.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Have you looked into the little touristic train? It transports people from Vernon to Giverny and back for 10 euros round trip. You can find their schedule here: https://petittrain-vernon.fr/ When I visited Giverny this was the transport I took from Vernon. 

As edinburgher mentioned, make sure to specify la gare SNCF (train) rather than the bus station because it looks like they are at two separate addresses, from what I'm seeing on Google Maps. 

• Like 1