Question about FAS, Specialty Dining package and additional fees

Have a cruise coming up this May. Long time NCL cruiser and I'm not happy about NCL changing the rules on the Latitude, FAS and Specialty Dining packages to only allow 1 appetizer, 1 soup/salad, 1 entree, 1 dessert.

I'm already paying for food at the "free" restaurants within the cruise fare. In the past I was OK buying the Specialty Dining packages but I am truly an appetizer guy. I enjoyed ordering several appetizers with my meal but now it just seems like they are trying to cut down on costs and limiting the amount of food that is provided per meal.

I usually don't order salads or dessert at all and I'm totally fine with the 1 entree rule but limiting me to 1 appetizer really irritates me.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck ordering more than 1 appetizer with the FAS and SDP while the waiter/waitress agrees to waive the additional charges?

• Haha 1

I'm sure folks will come here with every level of experience from servers that waived nothing, to servers that provided extra sides, appetizers, desserts, and salads at no charge. There is no real consistent answer based on all the feedback on these here boards. 

The best advice (at least I think so) is to order what you want and see what the check comes to. If you're charged for the appetizer, well it's only like what? $15? It won't break anyone. But hey, maybe you'll get lucky! 

• Like 4

My sample size is next to nothing, but at Cagney's in October I ordered an extra app and the server said, it only comes with 1, I said that I would gladly pay extra for the second and it took him a couple beats to understand what I was saying, but then wrote it down as I ordered it. Bill came, and the extra app was not on the slip. Of course YMMV

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

Well if I order 2 extra apps and I have 3 meals this coming cruise, that's a total of $90 extra! I don't think that's a small charge for something that used to be free

And hence the change....if you realize it's not a "small change", then it's reasonable for NCL's accountants to feel the same way.  Remember...they are trying to make money.

I think they could still just allow diners to have any combination of two soup, salads, or appetizers to best cater to people's tastes. However, I'm not overly concerned with limiting it to the two...

3 minutes ago, ScottT2000 said:

My sample size is next to nothing, but at Cagney's in October I ordered an extra app and the server said, it only comes with 1, I said that I would gladly pay extra for the second and it took him a couple beats to understand what I was saying, but then wrote it down as I ordered it. Bill came, and the extra app was not on the slip. Of course YMMV

I think this is the perfect way to handle it...you let the server know you understand the rules and then let that server make the choice.  Just don't be upset if you get a small bill for and extra $15 or so....

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Warm-Water Diver said:

Have a cruise coming up this May. Long time NCL cruiser and I'm not happy about NCL changing the rules on the Latitude, FAS and Specialty Dining packages to only allow 1 appetizer, 1 soup/salad, 1 entree, 1 dessert.

I'm already paying for food at the "free" restaurants within the cruise fare. In the past I was OK buying the Specialty Dining packages but I am truly an appetizer guy. I enjoyed ordering several appetizers with my meal but now it just seems like they are trying to cut down on costs and limiting the amount of food that is provided per meal.

I usually don't order salads or dessert at all and I'm totally fine with the 1 entree rule but limiting me to 1 appetizer really irritates me.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck ordering more than 1 appetizer with the FAS and SDP while the waiter/waitress agrees to waive the additional charges?

Latitudes Platinum dinners are 3-course: 1 app, 1 entree, 1 dessert

Specialty Dining Package are 4-course: 1 app, 1 soup/salad, 1 entree, 1 dessert

This has been around for a while. 

Waiters will allow you to order 2 apps versus a soup/salad. 

Waiters will [almost always] give you a 4-course meal for Latitudes vouchers. 

Don't ask. Just order. If you make a big deal about the "rules", they will enforce them. Just order. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

How about asking the waiter - "can I swap an entree for a second appetizer?" 

Worst they can do is say no.  "What if you ordered an entree what would you order and if you ordered a second app what would it be? "  Thats how I would respond if asked - enter the entree into the system and bring out the second app - he goes back in the kitchen - tells them to skip the entree, deliver the app - and you tip him $10 which you should anyway, thereby saving the cost of the app and the additional 20% tip 

Edited by erisajd
  • Haha 1

I also think 'how you ask' will go a long way to getting the answer you want.

If you have a smile and are easy going...

But if you are grumpy gus, I wouldn't be surprised if they say no.

Good luck and let us know what happens when you are onboard.

• Like 2