Assistance with Norway Cruise port stops

Hello... Not having been to Norway before, I'm really hoping that those of you more experienced with some of these ports would be able to give me a little guidance.  We don't want to do scheduled excursions for all of the ports, but maybe just a couple of them.  We typically enjoy walking around ports that have interesting culture, a nice pub or coffee shop, museums or scenic walkability. 

Of the ports on our upcoming cruise (only the Norway ones - we're familiar with the Scottish ones) which of these would you say are great for walking around the port area, and which ones are a "must do" for booking an actual excursion?  Any particular ports that you felt were the highlight of your itinerary, and which types of excursions you might recommend for those?  We are both healthy and fit, enjoy scenic views, food, beer, wine, animals, interesting history, etc. Wouldn't want to take a strenuous hike up a mountain, but can definitely handle stairs and a good amount of walking. 

image.png.04624e81293e70de3cdfb4342a076691.png

Thanks for any helpful advice, including tips to make the most of this cruise that might not necessarily be totally focused on what to do in those ports. 🙂

28 minutes ago, nunuc2000 said:

Hello... Not having been to Norway before, I'm really hoping that those of you more experienced with some of these ports would be able to give me a little guidance.  We don't want to do scheduled excursions for all of the ports, but maybe just a couple of them.  We typically enjoy walking around ports that have interesting culture, a nice pub or coffee shop, museums or scenic walkability. 

Of the ports on our upcoming cruise (only the Norway ones - we're familiar with the Scottish ones) which of these would you say are great for walking around the port area, and which ones are a "must do" for booking an actual excursion?  Any particular ports that you felt were the highlight of your itinerary, and which types of excursions you might recommend for those?  We are both healthy and fit, enjoy scenic views, food, beer, wine, animals, interesting history, etc. Wouldn't want to take a strenuous hike up a mountain, but can definitely handle stairs and a good amount of walking. 

image.png.04624e81293e70de3cdfb4342a076691.png

Thanks for any helpful advice, including tips to make the most of this cruise that might not necessarily be totally focused on what to do in those ports. 🙂

Trondheim: the Cathedral. Honningsvag:The North Cape. Tromso: an excursion that focuses on the Arctic Cathedral, Polar Museum, Polaria, and Fjellheisen (cable car for a great view). Leknes: an excursion that takes in the various areas, as far north as Svolvaer (in Svolvaer there is a fjord excursion that goes to the Trollfjord with its tiny entrance. So much to see, so little time! Have fun!

It is an arctic cruise but in August there is no midnight sun.
Honningsvåg has North Cape. Tromsø and the Lofoten islands are nice locations. Also Ålesund and Trondheim are fine ports, but I miss the deep Norwegian fjords to Geiranger, Flåm or Olden.

One resource as you are 'here' is searching this forum for each port name for the Norway ports [the Scotland ports would be in the UK/Western Europe forum]

In addition, each Norway port's visitor bureau has a tourist information web page [for example visittromso.no ] with info on history, climate, maps, public transit, sightseeing - and links to local tour operators.

You'll definitely want an excursion, independent tour, or rental car in Leknes. The port is quite a ways from the town itself, so there's very little option to just disembark and wander around. The beauty of Lofoten is in the scenery, so being able to get farther afield is well worth it. Reine and Nusfjord are two beautiful locations that often appear on a Leknes excursion itinerary.

In Honningsvåg, if you're keen to visit the north cape monument and visitors center, you'll need to book transportation to get there.

Ålesund is a pleasant little city to wander around and is known for its art deco architecture, which is a bit uncommon for the Norwegian coast. If you're up for a bit of walking, Trondheim can also be done independently on foot if you want to visit the Nidaros cathedral and Gamle Bybro.

I love Tromsø and always explore on my own. I love wandering around town and have enjoyed the Polar Museum and Polaria aquarium. It's a bit of a trek if you want to take the cable car on the other side of the water, but you can also check the local buses. We took the cable car and then hiked a bit farther uphill for some higher views. I've also done the Mack brewery tour, though I'm not sure what it's like now that the main facility has moved out of town. Their brewpub is still great to visit with lots of small batch creations on tap. The Arctic Cathedral is architecturally interesting, but having been inside, I'm not sure it added much. I'd be happy to skip the admission fee and just view the exterior.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 6:56 PM, nunuc2000 said:

We typically enjoy walking around ports that have interesting culture, a nice pub or coffee shop, museums or scenic walkability. 

Honningsvag.  Your best option is the North Cape, the reason for the stop here, You might want to take at tour for this..

ALESUND is a super easy DIY port stop.  I posted this some time ago but it would be helpful for you to read

Alesund, a favourite with cruise pax, partly as you dock in the centre of town, partly because there are a number of sightseeing options and partly because they are easy to do on your own.

You would find it helpful to read this thread which has a number of posts which would help you decide. And Norway is expensive so a saving in at least one or two ports is better than no saving at all.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2963492-alesund-excursions/#comment-66098932

Ttromso is another port where it is almost as easy to explore independently,  even easier if you dock in the centre of town rather than out by the botanical garden, from where we used the publiuc bus outside the terminal  to get into the town centre).  There is quite a lot to see and do in Tromso, your decision as to which sights, museums etc appeal most to you personally.  We have visited 3 times and found things to see and do each time.  Many previous threads about Tromso.  Here they some  ready for you to decide which to read.  As a number of threads digress from the original subject line topic or from the original question, don't dismiss some without first reading.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=tromso&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=116

If you have not already read past threads for all your ports, do learn how to use the quick and easy SEARCH tool under your username as it is an invaluable resource.  Results will usually appear in seconds.

You mention "a nice pub".  If this your first visit to Norway, be preparted for price shocks for everything as Norway is very expensive , but especially for any alcohol. To avoid an unwelcome  shock, best to check pricing of any alcohol before ordering.