Horizon Report

I've just got back to the UK following 8 days on the Horizon visiting Aruba, Curacao and the Dominican Republic. I'll get a more detailed review done when I've settled down and got my thoughts in order but briefly, here are my goods, bads and uglies:

Good - Lovely ship, great food and excellent crew (with one exception - below). Aruba, Curacao and Amber Cove were all good but La Romana seemed a bit of a waste of time. The comedians were funny and we loved the trivia quizzes. Couldn't fault the weather either, apart from a brief heavy shower at La Romana.

Bad - People sitting on stairs and the smart elevators which seemed more bother than the old style. Biggest bad was the waiting time in the MDR. It took up to 30 minutes before our order was taken and another 30 minutes before the first course arrived. The food - when it came - was excellent. I'd like to say that the waits were due to staff cut-backs but it seemed that many of the dining room staff were standing around waiting to be told what to do. We ate at the buffet for the second half of the cruise but even there, dirty plates were left on tables for some time, which leads me to...

Ugly - The amount of food that was wasted. Why oh why do people pile their plates with as much food as they can fit on it and then proceed to leave half of it? It pained me to see so much food getting thrown in the bin.

• Like 7

I loved the Horizon! I am curious about the area right near the port in La Romana. When I was there a few years ago they were doing construction on what looked like it would be a port area very similar to Amber Cove. I am curious if you could give me an update on it. 

I am looking forward to your review!

3 hours ago, tw67 said:

I loved the Horizon! I am curious about the area right near the port in La Romana. When I was there a few years ago they were doing construction on what looked like it would be a port area very similar to Amber Cove. I am curious if you could give me an update on it. 

I am looking forward to your review!

I was on the cruise, just got back Sunday, I did go to the new area they just finished, It is a mini me of Amber cove, except there is no splash zone for kids, other than a small pool they can use. the umbrella's are like amber cove, ask for one, but have to pay for it, restaurant is open, swim up bar in pool is open, so will have many that partake, but not many that will do a bathroom break. Not as many chairs like amber cove, so it will be a rush to get a spot. so recommend be on of the first ones off if you want a chair. clean bathrooms,, It is nice, just small, ask me anythig you want about it, and I will try and answer.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

I was on the cruise, just got back Sunday, I did go to the new area they just finished, It is a mini me of Amber cove, except there is no splash zone for kids, other than a small pool they can use. the umbrella's are like amber cove, ask for one, but have to pay for it, restaurant is open, swim up bar in pool is open, so will have many that partake, but not many that will do a bathroom break. Not as many chairs like amber cove, so it will be a rush to get a spot. so recommend be on of the first ones off if you want a chair. clean bathrooms,, It is nice, just small, ask me anythig you want about it, and I will try and answer.  

Good to know! Last time I ported at La Romana it was a parking lot and a few vendor stalls.