Street Safety SF

Especially for @sfpd3000, but others who know San Francisco well, please chime in!

Current plan is for us to take the historic streetcar along the Embarcadero ffrom Pier 27 to the stop closest to the Bart Embarcadero stop where we will catch the 9:15 or 9:30 Go Presidio shuttle. We will either catch the noon or 1pm shuttle back to the Davis/California stop. From there we will head to Yank Sing (101 Spear St.) to meet our Cruise Critic San Franciscan friend for Dim Sum.

She warns us not to take public transportation due to muggings, etc. and has offered to pick us up and drive us. I hate to ask that of her, but it's been over a decade since I've been in San Francsico and at that time used muni busses, the F streetcar and cable cars without a worry. But should we worry now?

Thanks!

Born & Raised here; the areas you plan to be are fine. In fact I think your SF friend has a higher chance of her car being broken into. 

Like any big city it has its good and bad, stay away from the Tenderloin, South of Market areas and you should be good. Unfortunately those areas also border some "good" areas too.

Situation awareness, anywhere, is required. YMMV.

Enjoy your stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. Upon further review, Yank Sing will not be open on our port day in S.F. Instead we will head to Pallette Teahouse, 900 Northpoint St, B201A. Looks like Muni Bus #30 from the Presidio Transit Center should get us there? And then the F streetcar back to Pier 27?

On 4/24/2024 at 12:23 PM, TMLAalum said:

Thanks. Upon further review, Yank Sing will not be open on our port day in S.F. Instead we will head to Pallette Teahouse, 900 Northpoint St, B201A. Looks like Muni Bus #30 from the Presidio Transit Center should get us there? And then the F streetcar back to Pier 27?

Sorry…just got off Crown Princess and am now just catching up on emails, etc.  I agree with what the others have posted.  900 Northpoint is just a couple of blocks from the end of the line / start of the line for the F streetcar.

Yes the 30 bus will start at the Presidio Transit Center (next to Sports Chalet) and it will get you a few blocks of 900 Northpoint.  Or continue on to Chinatown and have dim sum there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sfpd3000 said:

Sorry…just got off Crown Princess and am now just catching up on emails, etc.  I agree with what the others have posted.  900 Northpoint is just a couple of blocks from the end of the line / start of the line for the F streetcar.

Yes the 30 bus will start at the Presidio Transit Center (next to Sports Chalet) and it will get you a few blocks of 900 Northpoint.  Or continue on to Chinatown and have dim sum there.

Our Cruise Critic friend, who is from Hong Kong, initially recommended Yank Sing, but when I mentioned a few other options, she endorsed the Pallette Teahouse. When I was last in SF, Rebecca from Cruise Critic met my friend and I and took us to dim sum somewhere. It was a Sunday and my friend and I were the only non-Asians in the restaurant. I loved it, but not my friend. Luckily, DH ❤️dim sum!

We do have a Chinatown in Cleveland and have had dim sum at BooLoong several times, most recently with a friend and her daughter from Wuhan, pre-covid. They are back home in China now and in her guarded emails, life remains difficult for them.

On 4/24/2024 at 6:05 AM, TMLAalum said:

@sfpd3000

She warns us not to take public transportation due to muggings, etc. and has offered to pick us up and drive us. I hate to ask that of her, but it's been over a decade since I've been in San Francsico and at that time used muni busses, the F streetcar and cable cars without a worry. But should we worry now?

Thanks!

When the door blew off the Alaska Airlines plane, a co-worker at my school said "that's why I never fly in airplanes."  Some people have a heightened sense of fear.   Yes there is some danger riding mass transit anywhere or walking anywhere too.   You can always take Uber if you feel unsafe.    

On 4/27/2024 at 3:40 PM, TMLAalum said:

Our Cruise Critic friend, who is from Hong Kong, initially recommended Yank Sing, but when I mentioned a few other options, she endorsed the Pallette Teahouse. When I was last in SF, Rebecca from Cruise Critic met my friend and I and took us to dim sum somewhere. It was a Sunday and my friend and I were the only non-Asians in the restaurant. I loved it, but not my friend. Luckily, DH ❤️dim sum!

I eat at Yank Sing (Stevenson) probably 3 times a month because it is pretty much across the street from my office, but my current fave dim sum is Dragon Beaux. Unfortunately it is way up in the Richmond District. I like Palette, but if you are used to dim sum being a great, cheap lunch, be prepared for sticker shock. My last time there I had 3 items and my bill was $51 before taxes and tip. 

• Thanks 2