Kusadasi to Pamukkale and Hierapolis

Shall be calling in Kusadasi via Oceania in June. As we have done Ephesus before, am considering if we may be able to do Pamukkale and Hierapolis this time. Our time in port is 0700-1800. To allow for some safety margin, I guess we shall only be looking at about 8-9 hours for the tour. Wonder if we are pressing it too much as I understand travel time one way is already 2.5 to 3 hours. Any fellow cruisers who might have done this before? If so, would like to hear from you. Any recommendation for a reliable local guide (with transportation) will be much appreciated.

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 9:49 AM, Free and Easy said:

Wonder if we are pressing it too much as I understand travel time one way is already 2.5 to 3 hours.

As nobody has replied, throwing my thoughts your way.

Not done it as our stress levels are obviously higher than yours as we would not be at all comfortable travelling that distance either independently or on a private tour. We would only consider it if on a ship shorex, but I don't think cruiselines offer such a trip due to the distance

I think  you  should be wary if you approach independent tour operators and they agreed it was "doable".  In this instance you would be wise to have a "Plan B" were you to miss the ship, but that is us, not you, and others may also be comfortable with the distance.

Perhaps reading some of the past threads containing the word pamukkale might help? Choose from these

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=pamukkale&quick=1

Have you considered Izmir? You should at least give it some consideration.

Edited by edinburgher

On 4/28/2024 at 9:49 AM, Free and Easy said:

Wonder if we are pressing it too much as I understand travel time one way is already 2.5 to 3 hours.

Of the past threads available from the link above, this is probably the most helpful.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2993076-looking-for-ideas-for-kusadasi-other-than-ephesus/#comment-66965930

• 2 weeks later...

I have visited Pamukkale and Hierapolis from Kusadasi but not on a day when I was there on a cruise ship. I was staying in Kusadasi with a couple of days between legs of a self-booked tour and I found a private guide to take me. 

It is a long day of driving to get there and back. I would like to get back there again one of these days as this was around 15 years ago...  But when I've talked to private drivers about it, they are unwilling unless you have a REALLY long port day -- like if your ship were to leave at 10pm or 11pm...