Available Suites

Sketty1616

We are 2 weeks out from our cruise and I was curious as to how full the Nova will be. I didnt see any way to determine this other than clicking through the available suites on the new reservation page. That is showing that there are still 58 suites available, at various levels. So a few questions

1. Is this accurate?

2. Is this a typical number of unsold suites this close to the departure?

3. Does SS ever offer a reduced cost suite upgrade as we get closer to departure?

31 minutes ago, Sketty1616 said:

We are 2 weeks out from our cruise and I was curious as to how full the Nova will be. I didnt see any way to determine this other than clicking through the available suites on the new reservation page. That is showing that there are still 58 suites available, at various levels. So a few questions

1. Is this accurate?

3. Does SS ever offer a reduced cost suite upgrade as we get closer to departure?

It depends, you may see several waitlist/guarantee suites in lower categories.  SS most likely will offer upgrades to some or simply put the unassigned people in the unsold suites even if they are a higher category but they will wait to see if they can sell those higher cabins first and usually offer upgrades to elite members at a small or no charge to make room in the lower cabins.    

Think of it like plane seating: when you look at the seat map there are many unassigned Main cabin extra or premium seats towards the front of the cabin and note many at the rear.  This happens because people don't get to choose their seats (basic economy) or there are no "selectable seats left" usually within 24 hrs their FF members and select those premium seats making more of the rear seats available.  Come check-in time those remaining seats will be assigned to the people who haven't had a seat assigned yet.  

I'm sure others can chime in with more details

Your research confirms that the Nova is not fully booked - but will 58 suites really be open on your cruise? - probably not and the ship will be (very) close to capacity.

First, we dont know how many GUARANTY cabins were sold: each guaranty booking in various categories will need to get to get suite assignments and some passengers will be moved around a bit.  Next, Silversea will clear provisional reservations from travel professionals, employees, and others who travel on discounted rates when space is available (there are a multitude of programs that I cannot talk about) and, last, about 10 days out there is an internal procedure where the Silversea Teams (both landside and on the ship) go through a procedure called "doing the ship".  Think an audit: a last minute check that everyone has a cabin, no cabins are double booked, the correct cabins have been assigned to the correct passengers  and so on and so on. Also, for technical or other reasons, suites may be put out of service for a variety of reasons on a specific cruise and these issues are addressed.  There are so many issues, mistakes really do happen and passengers cannot arrive at the dock only to find out that the ship is overbooked or their cabin has been assigned to another party.  It is a process.

There are many cases where passengers are having a good time and decide to stay on.....yes, really.  It happens more often than you think.  Those passengers need accommodation and efforts are made to keep them in their current suite.

If the Nova was sold out, it would so state on the website.  As for upgrades, I have logged over 30 cruises with Silversea and have never seen or heard of low-cost upgrades close in to the date of departure.  You can ask your travel advisor to enquire prior to departure, or politely ask at the Front Desk (well, the Nova does not really have a front desk...LOL) but manage your expectations.  

I enjoyed the Nova and still cannot decide if I like the new-style Nova more or less than the traditional style Muse/Moon/Dawn!   A luxurious problem.  Have a wonderful journey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LAL Cruiser said:

Your research confirms that the Nova is not fully booked - but will 58 suites really be open on your cruise? - probably not and the ship will be (very) close to capacity.

First, we dont know how many GUARANTY cabins were sold: each guaranty booking in various categories will need to get to get suite assignments and some passengers will be moved around a bit.  Next, Silversea will clear provisional reservations from travel professionals, employees, and others who travel on discounted rates when space is available (there are a multitude of programs that I cannot talk about) and, last, about 10 days out there is an internal procedure where the Silversea Teams (both landside and on the ship) go through a procedure called "doing the ship".  Think an audit: a last minute check that everyone has a cabin, no cabins are double booked, the correct cabins have been assigned to the correct passengers  and so on and so on. Also, for technical or other reasons, suites may be put out of service for a variety of reasons on a specific cruise and these issues are addressed.  There are so many issues, mistakes really do happen and passengers cannot arrive at the dock only to find out that the ship is overbooked or their cabin has been assigned to another party.  It is a process.

There are many cases where passengers are having a good time and decide to stay on.....yes, really.  It happens more often than you think.  Those passengers need accommodation and efforts are made to keep them in their current suite.

If the Nova was sold out, it would so state on the website.  As for upgrades, I have logged over 30 cruises with Silversea and have never seen or heard of low-cost upgrades close in to the date of departure.  You can ask your travel advisor to enquire prior to departure, or politely ask at the Front Desk (well, the Nova does not really have a front desk...LOL) but manage your expectations.  

I enjoyed the Nova and still cannot decide if I like the new-style Nova more or less than the traditional style Muse/Moon/Dawn!   A luxurious problem.  Have a wonderful journey.

Since this our first time with SS, are you saying there may be instances where we may be moved to another suite? We specifically booked an aft-facing suite and I would be highly upset if they moved us.

5 minutes ago, Sketty1616 said:

Since this our first time with SS, are you saying there may be instances where we may be moved to another suite? We specifically booked an aft-facing suite and I would be highly upset if they moved us.

You will not be moved unless there is an operational extraordinary event.  I did not mean to worry you, you will be just fine.  

11 hours ago, Sketty1616 said:

1. Is this accurate?

Insofar as you take it for what it is, yes.  However, all it tells you is that at that moment in time, at LEAST the number of cabins shown were available.  There may be cabins not shown in available inventory but that don't actually have pax assigned yet, either.  There are several reasons that this may occur. 

So assuming you could book any of those 58 cabins, while you can't say how full the ship will be, the fact that x cabins are available tells you that at that moment in time, it can't be any more full than ((available - x) / available) percent full so far.

10 hours ago, canderson said:

Insofar as you take it for what it is, yes.  However, all it tells you is that at that moment in time, at LEAST the number of cabins shown were available.  There may be cabins not shown in available inventory but that don't actually have pax assigned yet, either.  There are several reasons that this may occur. 

So assuming you could book any of those 58 cabins, while you can't say how full the ship will be, the fact that x cabins are available tells you that at that moment in time, it can't be any more full than ((available - x) / available) percent full so far.

Quite accurate.  The cruise lines play with inventory all the time. Holdbacks are common. A ship shows waitlisted, and then poof plenty of cabins available. Or the opposite. 

On 5/1/2024 at 4:28 PM, Sketty1616 said:

1. Is this accurate?

I believe (from our SS travel consultant) that only a maximum of 6 available cabins for each category /deck are shown on the Web page booking screen. There may well be more than that. So that '58' would likely be a minimum that is available but could easily fill nearer the date through late booking consolidators. And some unavailable suites might only be on hold during a potential booking enquiry, which may not complete. Hth

• Like 1