Are there different types of bus transport?

It’s been a while since visiting St Maarten and I’m trying to recall the transportation. Do they have govt buses and private bus/vans? Also we have a party of 8 and need to know if they can handle us.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, geovet said:

It’s been a while since visiting St Maarten and I’m trying to recall the transportation. Do they have govt buses and private bus/vans? Also we have a party of 8 and need to know if they can handle us.

Thanks

Private Licensed cabs and minivans are allowed transit to/from inside Port area.

Private “Jintys” not allowed to/from port area (“Jinty central Pick up area along Back Street -Phillipsburg) and can be flagged down roadside (same for Licenced Cabs).  
Jinty fares are a couple of dollars per person, but routes are convoluted with multiple drops and pickups. Mostly used by locals.

Unlicensed cabs are considered bandit territory.

For a party of 8 use Licenced cabs from port.

On 5/5/2024 at 5:14 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Private Licensed cabs and minivans are allowed transit to/from inside Port area.

Private “Jintys” not allowed to/from port area (“Jinty central Pick up area along Back Street -Phillipsburg) and can be flagged down roadside (same for Licenced Cabs).  
Jinty fares are a couple of dollars per person, but routes are convoluted with multiple drops and pickups. Mostly used by locals.

Unlicensed cabs are considered bandit territory.

For a party of 8 use Licenced cabs from port.

I just watched a video on where the host was trying to get a ticket for a HOHO bus in St. Maarten.  Celebrity had booked the entire company for the day (he was on Carnival).  Are you familiar with this company?  We are like the original poster...8 people in our family group.  He went ahead and took the water ferry and wandered around town.  We have been to St. Martin/Maarten several times.  We will be there in two weeks (just myself and DH) in July we are there with the family party of 8.  Thanks for your wealth of knowledge. 

14 minutes ago, Derbie said:

I just watched a video on where the host was trying to get a ticket for a HOHO bus in St. Maarten.  Celebrity had booked the entire company for the day (he was on Carnival).  Are you familiar with this company?  We are like the original poster...8 people in our family group.  He went ahead and took the water ferry and wandered around town.  We have been to St. Martin/Maarten several times.  We will be there in two weeks (just myself and DH) in July we are there with the family party of 8.  Thanks for your wealth of knowledge. 

Is one requiring trip suggestions for one’s family?

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Is one requiring trip suggestions for one’s family?

I suppose a bit of both suggestions, and inquiring if you were familiar with the HOHO bus? We were considering the Bird Sanctuary in the morning (kids may like it) and then because my husband was the Pirate King in a local production of The Pirates of Penzance, the Pirate experience in the afternoon.  Although, we are wide open.  We do have a grandson (14 years old) that would like to do the Yoga Guy. 

2 minutes ago, Derbie said:

I suppose a bit of both suggestions, and inquiring if you were familiar with the HOHO bus? We were considering the Bird Sanctuary in the morning (kids may like it) and then because my husband was the Pirate King in a local production of The Pirates of Penzance, the Pirate experience in the afternoon.  Although, we are wide open.  We do have a grandson (14 years old) that would like to do the Yoga Guy. 

Sounds like an excellent plan…. Enjoy

• Like 1

Additional… never used a HOHO.  Sorry…. Did once, and nearly missed the ship because multiple return busses were full and did not stop…. Never again.