Montreal pre-cruise questions!

We just booked the 14 day cruise from Montreal to FLL on October 5, 2024.  We need to book a hotel the night before the cruise and need some suggestions.  We have never been to Montreal so we don't know the best way to get from the airport to a hotel, and then from the hotel to the port the next morning.  I've been trying to research, and it seems like "Old Montreal" is recommended (rather than staying near the airport), but I'd like to hear from anyone that has stayed in Montreal the night before a cruise.  Where did you stay?  What do you recommend?  What do you wish you had done different?

Thanks so much!!!

We go to Montreal for long weekends once or twice a year, and we really like the Holiday Inn on Rene Levesque. Obviously depends on your luggage situation and your public transit desires, but you can take the bus right from the airport to the hotel. It's the second stop from the airport on the buses that go down town, and it's right at a metro stop as well. It has a lovely indoor pool. There are lots of great restaurants in that neighborhood and it's really lovely to walk around. It's not far from the Old Port, but it feels a little less touristy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

YUL has a Marriott right in the airport.  If you are not planning to see any of the Montreal sites, but only need a bed for the night before the cruise, consider that one - it's quite nice, and obviously very convenient.  (Uber or taxi to and from the pier) I've used that hotel when leaving the next morning on international trips.  I live in Vermont, so sometimes leaving from Montreal is less expensive than Boston, and the two are equidistant from my home, but I digress.  I've also started a few cruises from Montreal, but have always driven so needed "park and fly" hotel - there are several that provide up to two weeks of parking included in the room price.  I have Marriott "loyalty" points usually so I just look on their site for Montreal park and fly - I've used the Fairfield Inn, which is their low end brand but worked just fine and wasn't a long Uber ride to the Port.  I can't recall the name of the other one we stayed in, but probably also a Marriott.   

Edited by Moriah

We stayed at Le Petit https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155032-d1473790-Reviews-Le_Petit_Hotel_Saint_Paul-Montreal_Quebec.html

it is a wonderful hotel.  Step outside directly into Old Montreal.  You can even walk to port if you were not too laden with luggage, we did.  The hop on bus is a few blocks away if you want to do a tour of the rest of the city.  You will need an Uber or a taxi.  When I was leaving the airport the HAL reps even offered to hail a taxi for me. 

• Like 1

We are currently on a cruise that started in Montreal.  Old Montreal is very close to cruise port and a lovely area to walk around and spend an afternoon if you have time.  Cobblestone streets, cafes, shops etc.  We stayed at Springhill Suites Mariott in old Montreal.  Wasn't very expensive and was perfect for us.  6 minute walk to the cruiseport although we took an Uber as it was raining a bit and we had big suitcases.  Took 20 minutes by Uber due to construction and traffic lol.

We enjoyed that cruise last fall.  Stayed at Springhill Suites, Marriott which was good choice.  Walking distance to restaurants.  We took Uber from airport to hotel and also from hotel to port.  Only glitch we had was the marathon race with 20,000 runners in our hotel area.  Many streets were blocked off and we had to walk a block to reach our Uber ( May have been Lyft).  Fun to watch the race before we headed to the port, and there were lots of runners/ spectators in the town, so lots of excitement.  We were glad to have 2 days there before cruise.   Hope all works out well for you.

Because we had a late flight into Montreal (8:30 p.m.) we just stayed at a Hilton property nearby. Took a cab and dropped our bags as soon as allowed and spent several hours sightseeing.

If you just need a hotel for the night and you're coming in on a late flight, I would suggest a hotel close to the airport. I can second the recommendation for the Marriott actually in the terminal at the airport. Or, if you're looking for something not in the airport, the Sheraton Montreal Airport is a very nice property too.
If you're coming in earlier and want to see a bit of the city before your board the ship, I'd suggest somewhere close to the Gare Centrale.
Last year we stayed at the Marriott Chateau Champlain, just off Boulevard Rene Levesque, behind the Mary, Queen of the World Basilica. It was a great location. The hotel is on top of the Bonaventure Metro Station and walking distance to the Gare Centrale, and the shops & restaurants along Rue Ste. Catherine.
It was also an incredibly easy taxi ride to the port.

I would highly recommend arriving early and exploring Old Montreal.  But even if you only plan to stay for one night, there are plenty of wonderful restaurants in the area. Twice we have stayed at Auberge du Vieux Port and just walked to the ship from there..  it's quite an easy walk, if you are able to handle your luggage.  It's a wonderful small boutique hotel.  If you prefer a larger hotel, the Intercontinental Hotel, also in Old Montreal, is very nice.

Hi,

I agree with everyone who suggests Old Montreal even if you are flying in late.  You would still have time to see some sights and enjoy a restaurant in the morning before getting on the ship.  Again, as mentioned, you would be in walking distance or an extremely short taxi drive to the cruise port.

happytotravel

Thank you everyone! Please keep the hotel suggestions coming.  We are thinking about Embassy Suites (either downtown or at the airport).  Website says the downtown location is 12 minute walk to the port.  We are able to use points at Hilton properties!

I've also had 4 different people suggest Springhill Suites in Old Montreal -- but we don't have points to use for Marriott.

On 5/6/2024 at 3:30 PM, boatmad said:

We enjoyed that cruise last fall.  Stayed at Springhill Suites, Marriott which was good choice.  Walking distance to restaurants.  We took Uber from airport to hotel and also from hotel to port.  Only glitch we had was the marathon race with 20,000 runners in our hotel area.  Many streets were blocked off and we had to walk a block to reach our Uber ( May have been Lyft).  Fun to watch the race before we headed to the port, and there were lots of runners/ spectators in the town, so lots of excitement.  We were glad to have 2 days there before cruise.   Hope all works out well for you.

I must have been on the same cruise (Zaandam) and also stayed at the Springhill Suites, where I have stayed before. I didn't run into any Uber issues getting picked up at the hotel, but maybe i didn't go as early. Friends who were getting off the Zaandam walked over to have breakfast with me. Good choice imho.