Flying to Vancouver on day of cruise departure

As a Vancouver resident I urge anyone departing on a cruise to arrive at least one day before sailing.

Last summer I was at YVR working next to the meeting point for passengers with pre arranged bus and luggage transfers to the cruise terminal.At about 2:30 pm a group of about 10 people including children, approached the counter just as they were closing for the day.

They were told that there was no way to get to the terminal in time to board the ship.

From what I could tell they had taken connecting flights from the Southern US, both of which were delayed.

On arrival in Vancouver you could be delayed in Customs line ups for an hour as there are many flights arriving from Asia and Europe in addition to the US.

Traffic is also very heavy in Vancouver during the summer. 
I know that hotels in Vancouver are very expensive but it would be better to stay in the suburbs and spend $100 on a taxi or Uber than miss your cruise.

There are no direct flights from YVR to any airports in Alaska. You would have to fly or bus to Seattle in order to catch up with your ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We live in the Seattle area, and even though we can take a 3 hour long Amtrak ride to Vancouver the morning of a cruise, we still arrive the day before just to avoid any delays/transportation problems.  In fact, that is what we are doing this week - taking Amtrak this Friday morning to catch a cruise Saturday afternoon.  And even though we are spending $250 for a hotel out in the suburbs, it is really is worth the peace of mind.

I do check-in at Pier 91 in Seattle, and the stress level of passengers who arrive late, but still are able to board is thru the roof.  They are stressed, anxious, and snapping at each other.  It isn't a great start to a once in a lifetime adventure.

Do listen to @eetonaee, and arrive the day before.  

• Like 3