Hotel recommendations

Calker

18 minutes ago, Calker said:

Looking for a hotel recommendation near the Honolulu cruise port.

thank you.

There are hundreds of options-- what is your budget, do you want to be near the beach, is this for 2 people or do you need something larger? 

Personally any time I'm in Honolulu we stay at Waikiki which is where most of the walkable tourist things are. There are more budget options all the way to 5 star luxury. It's impossible to make an sort of even general recs without more info from you. 

• Like 1

Agree. There are many hotels to choose from, all sorts of qualities. However, there aren't many "near...the cruise port". You want to be in Waikiki.

Do a search around this board, there are many threads on the topic. 

Thank you - princeton123211 - CruiserBruce - KeepCalmBear0 -

from your responses I can tell planning a cruise/Aluani trip to Hawaii is going to be very different from planning a cruise trip out of Fl.

This trip will only be for my husband and I as we are celebrating our 50th anniversary.  We are thinking of a one night stay at an easily accessible port hotel the night before we board the Pride of America for a b2b cruise. Then we are planning a 4 night stay at Aluani before flying home.

a hotel under $500 a night would be nice.

plans only include a dinner at this point,  but timing of our arrival into Honolulu (and other planned activities) are up in the air as airlines don’t have schedules available this far out.

Thank you - princeton123211 - CruiserBruce - KeepCalmBear0 -

from your responses I can tell planning a cruise/Aluani trip to Hawaii is going to be very different from planning a cruise trip out of Fl.

This trip will only be for my husband and I as we are celebrating our 50th anniversary.  We are thinking of a one night stay at an easily accessible port hotel the night before we board the Pride of America for a b2b cruise. Then we are planning a 4 night stay at Aluani before flying home.

plans only include a dinner at this point,  but timing of our arrival into Honolulu (and other planned activities) are up in the air as airlines don’t have schedules available this far out.

22 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

There are hundreds of options-- what is your budget, do you want to be near the beach, is this for 2 people or do you need something larger? 

Personally any time I'm in Honolulu we stay at Waikiki which is where most of the walkable tourist things are. There are more budget options all the way to 5 star luxury. It's impossible to make an sort of even general recs without more info from you. 

22 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Agree. There are many hotels to choose from, all sorts of qualities. However, there aren't many "near...the cruise port". You want to be in Waikiki.

Do a search around this board, there are many threads on the topic. 

19 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

Princeton nailed it, nightly budget, wants and plans.

16 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You want to stay at Aulani? That answers your hotel question right there.

We already have Aluani booked for after the cruise - looking for a hotel for the day we fly in before the cruise.(we always fly in the day before). Just one night.  

18 hours ago, Calker said:

For a budget of $500 or under look at The Royal Hawaiian. It is right on Waikiki Beach and is quintessential Hawaii-- a beautiful hotel in the Spanish/Art Deco style built by the Matson Line in the 1920s. Usually can be booked in the $400s with some deals driving that into the upper $300s. 

If you wanted to stretch the budget a little bit (or you could find a deal) also look at Halekulani which typically is in the low $600s but you can sometimes find a deal in the high $400s/low $500s a night. 

Either of these might convince you to reassess the Aulani-- 4 nights is a lot there. Primarily all young kids and its a man made lagoon "beach" vs a real beach at Waikiki. 

• Like 2

It depends on what is important to you. You can be on the beach in the Outrigger Waikiki Beach, Outrigger Reef, Moana Surfrider, almost on the beach in the Hyatt Regency (the beach is across the street, unobstructed), on the Marina in the Prince Waikiki (lovely business hotel, great dining) and Halepuna, a cheaper version of Halekulani.

In the map below you can see, right to left, the octagonal twin towers of the Hyatt, then Moana Outrigger WB and a bit of the Royal Hawaiian.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/AC8cYuk67f1kLAoV8

In this map are Halekulani, Halepuna and Outrigger Reef.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/E2d4gMftYxjXchby5

Halekulani is where I stay usually, but I can't recall the last time I got in there for under $700 a night.

On 5/8/2024 at 7:29 PM, KeepCalmBearOn said:

Halekulani is where I stay usually, but I can't recall the last time I got in there for under $700 a night.

I got it for $550 through Amex Fine Hotels Resorts a little over a month ago with all the benefits. Granted it was only for one night and booked last minute before our flight back so not sure if it was a special they were running or not (because it's hard to tell that through the Amex portal). This time of year, according to their website, they are regularly at $670 which then goes up in the Fall and Winter. 

• 2 weeks later...

We've stayed at the Prince Waikiki (among others pre- and post-cruise) on the west side closer to the cruise port. 

The rates are competitive, frequent promos that come out $100 lower than staying beachfront or in the center of Waikiki. A quick walk or uber to great dining options depending what you are looking for (examples - 2 Ruth's Chris locations, Roy's or other other Roy Yamaguchi restos) which is more cost effective than a central hotel if you wont have time pre-cruise to take advantage of the resort fees.