Queen Anne June 23nd

heybear

We will be arriving on June 22nd in Southhampton. Staying at the Moxy hotel for the night. What is the best way to get to the Cunard pier on June 23rd? We are able to walk rather than take a cab. 

Thanks in advance

5 minutes ago, heybear said:

We will be arriving on June 22nd in Southhampton. Staying at the Moxy hotel for the night. What is the best way to get to the Cunard pier on June 23rd? We are able to walk rather than take a cab. 

Thanks in advance

It’s not that far, but along/across busy roads. And it may rain, particularly this summer. If you have any luggage, I should take a cab.

• Like 3

Others have done it in past. Generally the roads outside the port do have good sidewalks. It's more difficult to see clearly within the port confines as there is no "street view" for most of it. From memory of Mayflower terminal and the aerial views I think there are side walks, but they might not be as good as the public roads. There are light controlled crossings on the public roads. Ocean Terminal might be easier, and QE2 Terminal probably worse.

We're aware we could manage it with backpacks, medium roller cases, and small bags if there was some problem getting a taxi, but unless that problem arises we'll not bother testing the theory.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's 2 km, or 1.2 miles. I have personally walked it, it's not difficult or dangerous, it's sometimes interesting to see the other port traffic and Mr. Musk's latest contraptions. I also love the sense of the build up as you walk step by step towards the ship. So long as it doesn't rain, I agree it wouldn't be much fun if that happened. QA is at Mayflower and QM2 at QEII terminal, so there would be an amazing view from John Lewis' café right near Moxy. John Lewis is a department store, with a mini supermarket on the entry floor for any provisions.

The key thing to bear in mind for Mayflower is that you have to enter by the historic dock entrance, Gate 10, which is down from this pin on Google Maps. So long as you get there, then the route is clear and there will usually be a few other people also making the walk.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VGg4Ueat2ES59B7U8

and once through the gate you're bearing rightwards - the QA will dominate the view so you'll know where to go. There is a clear pavement on at least one side of the road, sometimes both, and safe crossing points.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 3

This shows the pavement / sidewalk inside the dock area. This is the last section, it's the Mayflower building at the end of the road shown here. The rest of the walk from Gate 10 to this point is fairly similar.

image.thumb.jpeg.98563c92860b6ee9da3cd04948d9a785.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, heybear said:

Thanks in advance

Roads are fine for walking along, just that terminals are further than you think... We thought about walking from Red Funnel terminal to Mayflower, but took a taxi - and it was £10 which shows that it was a reasonable distance  and a fair bit further than from station. Moxy to Mayflower splits the difference

This 23rd June we are staying overnight (on 22nd) at the cricket ground Hilton (with a pitch side balcony - no cricket, just because we can) - and using the cruise valet parking. Worked out as cheap as staying closer. Meeting the IoW based inlaws for dinner at Ennio's bistro on 22nd

See you on board!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pushpit said:

It's 2 km, or 1.2 miles. I have personally walked it, it's not difficult or dangerous, it's sometimes interesting to see the other port traffic and Mr. Musk's latest contraptions. I also love the sense of the build up as you walk step by step towards the ship. So long as it doesn't rain, I agree it wouldn't be much fun if that happened. QA is at Mayflower and QM2 at QEII terminal, so there would be an amazing view from John Lewis' café right near Moxy. John Lewis is a department store, with a mini supermarket on the entry floor for any provisions.

The key thing to bear in mind for Mayflower is that you have to enter by the historic dock entrance, Gate 10, which is down from this pin on Google Maps. So long as you get there, then the route is clear and there will usually be a few other people also making the walk.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VGg4Ueat2ES59B7U8

and once through the gate you're bearing rightwards - the QA will dominate the view so you'll know where to go. There is a clear pavement on at least one side of the road, sometimes both, and safe crossing points.

Oh yes, both ships are in

Is 106 Mayflower then?

image.png.5103c7246eabf82a29755358164ceae1.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Roads are fine for walking along, just that terminals are further than you think... We thought about walking from Red Funnel terminal to Mayflower, but took a taxi - and it was £10 which shows that it was a reasonable distance  and a fair bit further than from station. Moxy to Mayflower splits the difference

This 23rd June we are staying overnight (on 22nd) at the cricket ground Hilton (with a pitch side balcony - no cricket, just because we can) - and using the cruise valet parking. Worked out as cheap as staying closer. Meeting the IoW based inlaws for dinner at Ennio's bistro on 22nd

See you on board!

I always park near the Red Funnel  terminal and unless it’s a departure from Ocean Terminal I would always take a taxi to Mayflower or QEII too far for me even without luggage which I have already dropped off. And as you say is always under £10. 

1 minute ago, Winifred 22 said:

I always park near the Red Funnel  terminal and unless it’s a departure from Ocean Terminal I would always take a taxi to Mayflower or QEII too far for me even without luggage which I have already dropped off. And as you say is always under £10. 

We had come across on the FastJet after leaving car and dog at the inlaws on the island. Quite a lot of people going to QM2 on the FastJet - I guess IoW is a good demographic for Cunard cruisers. Do you leave your car near red Funnel - are there some self park options? Valet parking is £152 for a week

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

We had come across on the FastJet after leaving car and dog at the inlaws on the island. Quite a lot of people going to QM2 on the FastJet - I guess IoW is a good demographic for Cunard cruisers. Do you leave your car near red Funnel - are there some self park options? Valet parking is £152 for a week

My daughter berths her boat at the Marina and it comes with 2 free parking spaces. They only have one car so I use the other space as I live relatively local - 40 mins away. The spaces I use are berth holders  only. I think the spaces  available for the public are quite expensive. There does seem to be a lot of folk about coming off the ferry with the familiar luggage tags. The valet parking seems very reasonable compared to CPS 

Edited by Winifred 22