Potential New HAL (Oosterdam) Cruiser v Celebrity Question

Posted (edited)

Hi All, My cruises have all been on Celebrity, usually upper suites, and always enjoyed them very much.  On Celebrity in upper suite a butler and all specialty inluded, won't bother me not to have that on HAL.  I'm really interested in two things:  Feedback from those who have stayed in the Pinnacle Suite (the balcony is WOW), seems the suite it most compares to is Penthouse Suite on Celebrity?  Also, the service on Celebrity is always very high caliber.  Any feedback on this?  I also have seen a number of videos with the music walk, really looks like a great area and I think I'd enjoy this a lot.  How does this and other entertainment compare to Celebrity?  Lastly, I'm currently booked on a Celebrity Eclipse TA, 12 nights in the Royal Suite and I added a 6 night Carib just to make it a B2B, so 18 nights total in RS.  I am considering a Pinnacle Suite on Oosterdam, 15 nights and a really great itin. for a TA, though I do TA's primarily because I most enjoy sea days.  Anyway, I'd be interested in comments from folks who have exprience on both lines, pros/cons etc.  I am 64 yo, low key cruiser, enjoy good food and looking for good evening entertainment, which can be a tad lacking lately on the M/S class of Celebrity, I am a night owl but not a drinker.  So sorry for being long winded and TIA for any thoughts, advice...

P.S. there is only a -$1,000 cost difference between the two cruises.

Edited by Liao
Update

2 hours ago, Liao said:

also have seen a number of videos with the music walk, really looks like a great area and I think I'd enjoy this a lot.

There is no music walk on the Oosterdam.  There is Billboard Onboard, a piano bar and The Rolling Stones lounge, music from the Beatles to serious rock and roll.  I do not go to the theater in the evening so cannot comment.  On a TA there have been some excellent speakers in the theater during the day and other activities I have enjoyed such as cooking demonstrations.

2 hours ago, Liao said:

Also, the service on Celebrity is always very high caliber.  Any feedback on this?

The service on HAL  ships is extraordinary.  Honestly, I give them my highest rating.

The Oosterdam is my favorite ship but it is older and doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of some of the newer ships.  I sailed on her twice last year in a verandah cabin for a total of 37 days.

8 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

There are photos of PS7045 and 7046 on Halfacts.com.   Vista Class ship.  

Thank you for this, much appreciated!

33 minutes ago, 0106 said:

There is no music walk on the Oosterdam.  There is Billboard Onboard, a piano bar and The Rolling Stones lounge, music from the Beatles to serious rock and roll.  I do not go to the theater in the evening so cannot comment.  On a TA there have been some excellent speakers in the theater during the day and other activities I have enjoyed such as cooking demonstrations.

The service on HAL  ships is extraordinary.  Honestly, I give them my highest rating.

The Oosterdam is my favorite ship but it is older and doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of some of the newer ships.  I sailed on her twice last year in a verandah cabin for a total of 37 days.

This is good to hear about the service.  The music options still sound like what I would really enjoy.  Appreciate your honest feedback.  Thanks!

I have sailed in many PS’s on Celebrity.  M class which is my favorite class of ship.  Nothing can compare to that suite and level of service, amenities, all specialty dining included, the butlers pantry, full size refrigerator stocked with anything you want, 2 (or more) bottles of liquor included and Luminae and unlimited laundry. Now, let’s talk about the Pinnacle Suite on HAL and specifically the class of ship that you are evaluating.  I have sailed in those suites 4 times.  While it is a nice suite, virtually nothing is included other than a welcome bottle of champagne and laundry service.  WiFi is not included.  There are no complimentary drinks,  There is no butler.  The Neptune lounge is nice, but nothing like the retreat lounge on Celebrity.  The only nice perk is breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill which is a nicer atmosphere but the same menu as the main dining room.  There is no specialty dining included.  Room service will be delivered on a tray just like any other cabin. Also, be aware, on this class of ship, guests on the deck above you will be able to see you on the whirlpool tub on the verandah.  Also, while there is a palatial whirlpool tub in the master bath, the shower is very, very small.  I’m happy to answer other questions.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

I have sailed in many PS’s on Celebrity.  M class which is my favorite class of ship.  Nothing can compare to that suite and level of service, amenities, all specialty dining included, the butlers pantry, full size refrigerator stocked with anything you want, 2 (or more) bottles of liquor included and Luminae and unlimited laundry. Now, let’s talk about the Pinnacle Suite on HAL and specifically the class of ship that you are evaluating.  I have sailed in those suites 4 times.  While it is a nice suite, virtually nothing is included other than a welcome bottle of champagne and laundry service.  WiFi is not included.  There are no complimentary drinks,  There is no butler.  The Neptune lounge is nice, but nothing like the retreat lounge on Celebrity.  The only nice perk is breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill which is a nicer atmosphere but the same menu as the main dining room.  There is no specialty dining included.  Room service will be delivered on a tray just like any other cabin. Also, be aware, on this class of ship, guests on the deck above you will be able to see you on the whirlpool tub on the verandah.  Also, while there is a palatial whirlpool tub in the master bath, the shower is very, very small.  I’m happy to answer other questions.

Have to strongly agree here. Just got off Reflection B2B in Penthouse and Reflection Suites.  Much prefer M class PH.  The Penthouse on Reflection is very similar to the Pinnacle Suites on HAL.  If you book far enough in advance you can get have it all with Premium Drink package, Premium Wi-Fi, and Gratuities, etc.

You definitely get more attention on Celebrity, but we really don’t ask for anything much - so it hasn’t ever been an issue.  Definitely miss the included Restaurants on Celebrity too.

• Thanks 1

Some other things we got when in a Pinnacle suite:

1.You WILL be the first passengers aboard the ship.

2. Complimentary soda and bottled water

3. Behind the scenes tour and bridge tour

4. The best table or your choice of tables in the MDR

5. Microwave and toaster in butlers pantry

For sure a little behind compared to Celebrity top suites and Star class

• Thanks 1