Really undecided what to do in Colon -- pre transit

Shiba_Lover

We are on Celebrity Summit April 2025 and will be in Colon the day prior to our full transit of the canal.  Really struggling with what to do on that day.

I realize there is not much to do in Colon, and have seen that it is not really safe to venture out solo in town.

Looks like options are a tour of the locks on land (either Mira Flores and / or Aqua Clara), a Monkey Island tour or a Gatun Lake Eco Tour or an Arial Tram tour.

Tram does not get good reviews.

Monkey Island or Lake sounds interesting, but wondering how much different the locks are from land versus what we will get on the transit?

The thought of being on a bus for 7 hours is not appealing, so if the tour is just a drive by on a bus with a quick stop at the locks visitor center - then that would be a no.

Has anyone done both the land based lock tours and one of the lake tour or monkey island tour? (realize you don't actually go to an island, just cruise around in a boat).  What would you suggest if you had to do it again / why?

I did see one tour that went first on a walking tour of old town Panama City then back to Mira Flores Locks.  So the walking tour part is appealing, but again, long bus ride - not sure it is worth it?????

Don't want to stay on ship all day

This last option should actually be 

I did see one tour that went first on a walking tour of old town Panama City then back to Agua Clara Locks (not Mira Flores).  So the walking tour part is appealing, but again, long bus ride - not sure it is worth it?????

1 hour ago, Shiba_Lover said:

I did see one tour that went first on a walking tour of old town Panama City then back to Agua Clara Locks (not Mira Flores).  So the walking tour part is appealing, but again, long bus ride - not sure it is worth it????

I'll just offer a few thoughts, having done four full transits of the Canal, all through the original locks -- the same ones the Summit will use (barring a very unusual operational issue in the Canal).  I am fascinated by the Canal (obviously), and I think it would be very interesting to visit the Agua Clara Visitors Center.  (Take a look at the reviews and photos on Trip Advisor.)  You get to see those new locks up close and, if you are lucky in the timing, you'll see a neo-Panamax ship going through.

It does seem that the tour you are talking about, however, combines the Agua Clara Locks with a visit to Casco Viejo (Old Panama).  We were there last year (having docked at Fuerte Amador, just outside Panama City).  We walked around; it's a colorful and interesting bit of the City, and while I don't think your tour would spend seven hours on a bus, I personally would not take a bus ride across the Isthmus to visit Casco Viejo.  Just speaking personally.  (Others who have driven across from the Atlantic to the Pacific and back hopefully will weigh in on the experience.)

Also, please keep in mind that your next day, the day of the full transit, will be a very long, very hot, very humid one.  You'll want to be all over the ship, seeing the locks from all different perspectives.  Only you can judge whether you want to precede the day of the transit with a full-day tour. 

I hope that's helpful.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do!

My two cents, who knows maybe I will even get some change!😉  I am writing this as though you would visit Agua Clara Locks first, although they may reverse the order to provide the best opportunity to view ships in the Locks.  Honestly I don't think the bus ride is all that torturous with a decent road for the most part and nice scenery.  From Agua Clara Locks across the Isthmus will run you a little over an hour and from the Pacific side back to Colon closer to an hour.  In Celebrity's overview of the tour they mention that you drive through the ruins.  While they don't specifically mention the "ruins" of Old Panama, I am pretty sure they are referring to the ruins of the original Panama settlement established in 1519.  From there it is on to Casco Antiguo which was founded after Henry Morgan destroyed Old Panama in 1671.

In the past they would return to Colon a slightly different route from the trip over.  In part this route will take you by the two Pacific Locks and through a portion of one of the national parks which is primarily old growth forest.  Then you will reconnect with the major highway back to Colon.

You are right... don't stay on the ship all day!

57 minutes ago, BillB48 said:

you would visit Agua Clara Locks first, although they may reverse the order to provide the best opportunity to view ships in the Lock

Thank you both! @BillB48 and @Turtles06 for the input.

I think they may have reversed the order.  Here is a description.

I think we may do this one.  It looks like the bus is 1 hour 15 minutes to get to Panama City, so not too horrible.

Watch closely as the rich history, dynamic culture, and engineering prowess of Panama comes alive on a full-day tour that includes a stroll through Panama City and a stop at the world famous Panama Canal. Begin the day with a panoramic drive to bustling Panama City, the first European city established on the Pacific Coast of the Americas. As you pass cosmopolitan cityscapes and old Panamanian ruins, you’ll listen to the region’s expansive history from your guide. Hop off the bus and embark on a walking tour through the Casco Viejo historic district, across narrow cobblestone pathways and past stunning Spanish colonial edifices. Here you’ll admire wrought-iron balconies, roam plazas, view 300-year-old churches, and hear the rhythm of Latin music. Then enjoy an up-close glimpse of the Panama Canal, considered the world’s greatest shortcut. With a visit to the Agua Clara Locks (Expansion Center), you’ll learn the history and construction process behind this feat of engineering.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We did the full transit last month on Radiance of the Seas and did the Panama Treasures Just For You tour.  We did NOT see the locks on our tour.  We LOVED the Reprosa Museum and Factory tour.  It was fascinating to learn about how they were making the jewelry and then watched how they did it.

Journey through time as you explore the ruins of Panama Viejo and the pre-Colombian treasures at the Reprosa Museum and Factory. Founded by Spain in 1519, Panama was the first European city established on the Pacific Coast of the Americas. This area, known as Panama Viejo, was destroyed by the English pirate Henry Morgan in the late 1600s and was later rebuilt. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, you’ll feel the history as you walk amid the ruins of nearly 100 civic and religious buildings, one of which served as headquarters for conquistador Francisco Pizarro during his conquest of the Incan Empire. Then enjoy some free time for lunch at Costa del Este, an upscale neighborhood teeming with delicious dining choices. At the Reprosa Museum and Factory, see Panama’s ancient civilizations, cultural traditions, and natural treasures come to life. See how pre-Columbian artifacts are made using the fascinating “lost-wax” process, the same casting method used by ancient goldsmiths. Afterward, try your hand at releasing a casting, then browse the factory’s variety of art and jewelry crafted on site.  (THEIR JEWELRY AND OTHER ITEMS WERE BEAUTIFUL AND AFFORDABLE)

Highlights

·         Explore the ruins of Panama Viejo and the pre-Colombian treasures at the Reprosa Museum and Factory.

·         See the ruins of nearly 100 civic and religious buildings once headquarters for conquistador Francisco Pizarro.

·         Learn how artifacts are made using the "lost-wax" process, and browse art and jewelry crafted on site.

Important details and advisements

·         There are three steps to board the bus.

·         Guests will have free time in Costa del Este for lunch on their own, which is not included in the price of this tour. (WE HAD LUNCH IN A SHOPPING MALL AT BURGER KING).

·         Costa del Este area is wheelchair accessible; Panama Viejo and the Reprosa Factory and Museum are not.

·         The drive to/from Panama City is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. (IT WAS INDEED 90 MINUTES TO AND FROM PANAMA CITY WITH EXTREMELY HEAVY TRAFFIC AS WE WERE TRYING TO LEAVE PANAMA CITY - 6 TOURS WERE LATE GETTING BACK TO THE SHIP, BUT THEY OBVIOUSLY WAITED FOR US SINCE WE WERE ON SHIP SPONSORED SHORE EXCURSIONS)

So, expect a 90 minute bus ride to Panama City and at least a 90 minute ride back to Colon.  There's 3 hours.  I would expect you to spend about an hour at the Casca Viejo district (we did) and then I would expect they will take you somewhere for lunch before heading back to the Colon area to see the locks where you'll probably get another hour there.

For our tour we spent about an hour at the Reprosa Factory, then got on the bus for a quick 20 minute ride to the mall for lunch (we were given about 45 minutes), then we drove another 20 minutes or so to the ruins and we were indoors at the museum there for about an hour, then back on the bus for our 90+ minute ride back to the ship.  We were already late when we arrived so we pretty much just hustled through the shopping area at the port and boarded the ship.

In any event, whatever you do decide to do, definitely get off the ship and go to Panama City.  You can't see the canal from the freeway (and it is all freeway and city streets with lots of trees alongside the freeway portion, so it's not bumpy or bad streets), but you do pass the Chagras River which feeds into Gatun Lake.  We really enjoyed our shore excursion.

Although my tour wasn't the same as the one you're thinking of taking, I hope this gives you a little bit more to think about.  Again, you won't be on the bus for a full 7 hours.  You will have time off in the middle.  Also, we were told that there is a cut off in the number of people who "qualify" to ride in a big bus versus a smaller passenger van.  Our tour qualified (barely) for a big bus (I think we had 25 people in our tour).  If your tour is going to the visitors center I would think it would qualify for a bigger bus.  Unfortunately you won't know until you arrive at your shore excursion bus area which kind of transportation you'll be on.

I've started posting videos on our Panama Canal cruise (right now I'm posting on our time in Tampa two days prior to the cruise), but I will eventually be posting about this shore excursion.  You can find a link to my YouTube channel, The Empty Armchair, under my signature if you're interested in checking it out.  I don't expect to be posting about the Colon/Panama day until sometime in late June since I only post once a week.

Edited by Teeara

5 hours ago, Teeara said:

I've started posting videos on our Panama Canal cruise (right now I'm posting on our time in Tampa two days prior to the cruise), but I will eventually be posting about this shore excursion.  You can find a link to my YouTube channel, The Empty Armchair, under my signature if you're interested in checking it out.  I don't expect to be posting about the Colon/Panama day until sometime in late June since I only post once a week.

@TeearaThanks for the detailed write up!  I will check out your videos when you post.  There is not a similar tour to that right now, but I will check back - maybe they will add some others since we are still almost a year away.   As of now, I think we'll do the Panama City + locks.  It does not mention lunch, but "snacks on the bus" - so I am picturing a horrible boxed lunch of some sort 🤣