Hakodate, Japan Is it safe to walk from the ship to ropeway?

hummingbird_206

We will be arriving in Hakodate on a Wednesday on the HAL Westerdam and would like to walk from the ship to the Mt Hakodate Ropeway.  Is this area safe to walk?  According to Google Maps it's about 2 kilometers, so not far, just want to make sure it is pedestrian friendly?  Are any street signs in English (not a requirement, just curious).

If you know how to use google map, why not do the "Browse street view" and see if the walk is pedestrian friendly?

Is this area safe to walk? If you don't jaywalking, follow the traffic regulations like the Japanese, then is very safe to walk anywhere and anytime.

Street signs in English? Yes, but need good eyesight to see.

image.thumb.png.38be3881e03ca7291b19d446845b3175.png

image.png.e28c90787ad21b2317f6db5f6ba88de1.png

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

If you know how to use google map, why not do the "Browse street view" and see if the walk is pedestrian friendly?

Is this area safe to walk? If you don't jaywalking, follow the traffic regulations like the Japanese, then is very safe to walk anywhere and anytime.

Street signs in English? Yes, but need good eyesight to see.

image.thumb.png.38be3881e03ca7291b19d446845b3175.png

image.png.e28c90787ad21b2317f6db5f6ba88de1.png

Yeesh, I can't get Google to go into street view mode for this location.  Thanks for your help.

Edited by hummingbird_206

@hummingbird_206
I think you are mistaking the pier. When we docked in Hakodate on Westerdam it would have been a 7 km or 1 1/2 hour walk along a non pedestrian friendly road! Safety isn´t really the problem in Japan but this was too far away - and we are walkers 🙂

This is where cruise ships dock

https://maps.app.goo.gl/7e5xENTYvvaYkp777

Here´s what we did:

https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/HAL-Westerdam-Japan-01/HAL-Westerdam-Japan---Hakodate/hal-westerdam-japan---hakodate.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Miaminice said:

@hummingbird_206
I think you are mistaking the pier. When we docked in Hakodate on Westerdam it would have been a 7 km or 1 1/2 hour walk along a non pedestrian friendly road! Safety isn´t really the problem in Japan but this was too far away - and we are walkers 🙂

This is where cruise ships dock

https://maps.app.goo.gl/7e5xENTYvvaYkp777

Here´s what we did:

https://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/HAL-Westerdam-Japan-01/HAL-Westerdam-Japan---Hakodate/hal-westerdam-japan---hakodate.html

Thanks for the info.  The writeup you linked was in 2019, so perhaps they have changed where the ship docks?  According to this site, the pier is where I used for my Google Maps link.  https://www.cruisetimetables.com/hakodate-japan-cruise-ship-schedule.html

Also, the cruise excursions say they walk to the Red-Brick Warehouse and the Morning Market, both of which are by the dock I used.  But I appreciate the warning so we'll be prepared in case we don't dock where I noted!

@hummingbird_206

if that should be the case then walking is no problem at all. We walked around that area before we went up to Mount Hakodate. We have done 3 Japan cruises so far - 2 on Millennium and one on Westerdam - and have booked a fourth for next year. So you can tell we really like Japan 👍

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hummingbird_206 said:

Thanks for the info.  The writeup you linked was in 2019, so perhaps they have changed where the ship docks?  According to this site, the pier is where I used for my Google Maps link.  https://www.cruisetimetables.com/hakodate-japan-cruise-ship-schedule.html

Also, the cruise excursions say they walk to the Red-Brick Warehouse and the Morning Market, both of which are by the dock I used.  But I appreciate the warning so we'll be prepared in case we don't dock where I noted!

Hakodate built a new cruise terminal and pier - Wakamatsu Wharf Quay in 2021-22 and operate since 2023 fall. The wharf is designated for small and medium size cruise ships. Minatocho wharf (7 km away) is for overflow (2nd cruise ship) or cruise ship over 110,000 tonnage (Royal Princess docked  there in April).

Westerdam will dock at Wakamatsu Wharf, if no other ship took the spot. Diamond Princess and Celebrity also docking at Wakamatsu Wharf 

Why walk to the Hakodate Ropeway? Ride a tram only cost ¥210 per trip, or you purchase a tram day pass (unlimited ride) for ¥600 from JR Hakodate station tourist center. No more concern on pedestrian and location safety .

Picture of Wakamatsu Wharf and cruise terminal

image.thumb.png.c224b0156fca565d499dc2e6c6cf073d.png

image.thumb.png.e32f0587286adbc9a798877cac63e404.png

3 min walk to the Fish market back entrance, 5 min to JR Hakodate train station.

Edited by monkey@cruise

1 hour ago, monkey@cruise said:

Hakodate built a new cruise terminal and pier - Wakamatsu Wharf Quay in 2021-22 and operate since 2023 fall. The wharf is designated for small and medium size cruise ships. Minatocho wharf (7 km away) is for overflow (2nd cruise ship) or cruise ship over 110,000 tonnage (Royal Princess docked  there in April).

Westerdam will dock at Wakamatsu Wharf, if no other ship took the spot. Diamond Princess and Celebrity also docking at Wakamatsu Wharf 

Why walk to the Hakodate Ropeway? Ride a tram only cost ¥210 per trip, or you purchase a tram day pass (unlimited ride) for ¥600 from JR Hakodate station tourist center. No more concern on pedestrian and location safety .

Thanks for the info about the pier. 

As to why walk to the Ropeway, because we like to walk and take in the sites as we walk.  I haven't looked into the tram.  Good to know about it so we know the options in case we decide not to walk.

2 hours ago, hummingbird_206 said:

Thanks for the info about the pier. 

As to why walk to the Ropeway, because we like to walk and take in the sites as we walk.  I haven't looked into the tram.  Good to know about it so we know the options in case we decide not to walk.

This is my Hakodate tram experience, I was not in kimono outfit !

IMG_5304.thumb.JPG.ad4b7853c33a9fde574171d281630ce5.JPG

You can take the tram to Goryōkaku Park and Tower.

On 5/14/2024 at 8:53 PM, hummingbird_206 said:

We also like to walk, I was planning to use the tram until I saw from the ship how short the distance was. Perfectly safe and a bit of a touristy area along the way. It took us about 40 mins but that was with a few photo stops along the way. We returned only last week from a cruise on the Millemium.

RX606568s.jpg

RX606581ms.jpg

RX606603s.jpg

• Like 1

Getting back to the OP's topic, yes, it is absolutely safe (just look both ways before crossing streets).  In fact, it would be difficult to imagine a safer country, in the world, then Japan.  There are some directional signs in English, but I do not recall if the actual street signs were in English.  But none of that really matters to those of us who simply use our Smartphones with one of the common map apps such as Google Maps or Apple Maps.   It is also not difficult to spot the ropeway if you look towards the mountain :).  The last time we were there, 2023, the ropeway was closed due to high winds.  When we return, in about a year, if the weather cooperates, we will likely walk over to the ropeway.

Hank

• Like 1

Just re-reading the thread and smiles about the "why walk" if you can just take the tram comment.  At our ole age (mid-70s) we try to walk as much as possible (10 miles a day is OK) which I suspect is why we can walk that distance without too much problem.  After being cooped up on a cruise ship (we take longer cruises), DW and I usually welcome the opportunity to take long walks during port days.  I believe the Ropeway is about a mile (perhaps a bit longer) from the cruise port, which is not a biggie for walkers.  

Another advantage to walking is that one gets to see more of a city/town.  In fact, in Hokodate there is a local market right across the street from the port (we actually saw folks taking paid walking tours to cross the street!).  If walking to the Ropeway, one could also visit the popular Red Brick Warehouse (not far from the port) that has been converted into a cute shopping center.

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just re-reading the thread and smiles about the "why walk" if you can just take the tram comment.  At our ole age (mid-70s) we try to walk as much as possible (10 miles a day is OK) which I suspect is why we can walk that distance without too much problem.  After being cooped up on a cruise ship (we take longer cruises), DW and I usually welcome the opportunity to take long walks during port days.  I believe the Ropeway is about a mile (perhaps a bit longer) from the cruise port, which is not a biggie for walkers.  

Another advantage to walking is that one gets to see more of a city/town.  In fact, in Hokodate there is a local market right across the street from the port (we actually saw folks taking paid walking tours to cross the street!).  If walking to the Ropeway, one could also visit the popular Red Brick Warehouse (not far from the port) that has been converted into a cute shopping center.

Hank

Wow, 10 miles is a bit out of my zone, but I can easily do 5!  But yes, we really like to walk when possible.  

Thanks for mentioning the Red Brick Warehouse.  I saw that on the map and wondered if it was worth a stop.  We're not big shoppers, but will be fun to look around especially at a place so close to the ship when we're heading back.  

BTW I read your Westerdam BTBTB Live thread and found your posts about DIY very helpful (even if it was from a while back.)  I am hoping we don't have the alcohol shortages you documented!!