Digital ID

klfrodo

Had my first experience with Digital ID this past week.

Let me start by saying that myself? I embrace technology. There are usually some pitfalls when first introduced, but in the long run, it improves day to day activities. 

The application I used is called Airside. I came across it on my Alaska Airlines app after I booked a trip to Cabo. I had never heard of Airside and actually had not heard of Digital ID. For the Alaska Airlines flight to Cabo, AS indicated that if we downloaded the Airside App and submitted our travel documentation (ie Passport) there would be no need to physically present our passports prior to boarding the plane. (The Airside app sends verification to AS 72 hours before the flight).     I'm thinking, "how in the hell does this work?"    Well,,, what I "think" I have come to understand is that Airside is an approved Digital ID (from Homeland Security??) to share digitally your data with the new facial recognition programs used at airports and probably other places. I've recently learned that using this Digital ID can be used at TSA checkpoints rather than using your DL or passport and will be RealID Compliant as long as the document in the Digital ID app that you use to create the QR code is RealID Compliant.

There are a few things about this technology that makes one question the usefulness, but as time and improvements are made, in a few of years it could obsolete the hard copy passport.

From TSA:

https://www.tsa.gov/digital-id

14 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

in a few of years it could obsolete the hard copy passport.

Maybe for flying Canada.  Or even the EU.  What about the cruise that goes to Papua New Guinea, or to Mozambique?

Further, I find it interesting that this company used to work with CBP on Mobile Passport, but no longer.  And that American Airlines no longer uses them.  Hmmm.

Airlines already keep your passport information in your FF profile.

Hard pass.

I for one cannot wait until we can dispense with the hard copy passport and move to a fully global digital world of id and credentialing.  (Yes, I also understand the inherent risks of this.)

I already hate to have to carry actual physical credit cards and use Apple Pay on my Apple watch or iPhone almost exclusively.  (Recognizing that this limits the amount that I can tap)

I wish for DL, Passport, and a fully digital payment system without a physical card.

• Like 1