Noordam 3rd cruise

anley

Just off the Noordam March 25th, We enjoyed Ourselves , that being said here are my thoughts. After reading the reviews from the inaugural cruise I could'nt wait to board . Embarkation was terrible . Everything else was good but a step down from what I expected. We were on the Westerdam last March and that was the kind of cruise I expected. They even changed captains after the first cruise. This being our first cruise as a mariner I was surprised that the mariners event was held in the Vista Lounge where we were led to seats as we came in after meeting the captain. The rest was sitting in a theatre watching mariners with many days get their medals.Nothing else was given out because there were so many of us. I would rather pay for a drink in any one of the ships lovely lounges and bars than go through that again. There were enough activities to keep us from getting bored , but we noticed the early were terribly crowded, The answer was that the late seating pax went to the early show and skipped dinner , eating or drinking somewhere else and then going to bed.

I'ts obvious that the wait staff and other ships staff needs more training .

Disembarking was amazing . We took the express option , had afull breakfast in the Vista Dining room rolled bags to the elevator, got off the ship handed off form to offiical as we rolled by went up to parking lot got my car and were home in 35 minutes fro a trip I have never driven in lesss than one hour. Hopefully HAL will pay attention to these CONSTRUCTIVE NOT NEGATIVE COMMENTS and make things a little for future pax.

Was on the same cruise and found all of the the staff amazing friendly and upbeat. Their desire to please the guests was outstanding and helped overcome some of the minor glitches typical of a new ship. Since their were over 1300 Mariners on the this cruise, the only place to accommadate them was in the Theater. As amatter of fact, a separate Mariners party was held for early and late seating.

All Mariners Parties are held in the Show Lounges. That is the only place on the ship large enough to accomodate all Mariners.

On most cruises, the number of Mariners aboard is in the range of 70% + of the total numbre of passengers.

HAL has the largest percentage of repeat cruisers of all the other mainline cruiselines. :)

Before you know it, they'll be calling your name to come up and get your first medal. VERY Fun!!!

Could you please expand on the embarkation problems? Were you there early? Late? Had you filled out the immigration forms online? How long did it take you to get aboard?

Thanks..............................

I too would like to hear more on this as well......please explain

We arrived at the terminal approx 12 noon. It took until 1:15 to finally board ship. All of the forms were done in advance and were done correctly. It still took the person processing them a long time. My wife saw 3 sets of passengers processed at the station to our right in the time it took us to get done.

Wondering what the parking situation at the pier is at present. What is the cost and do you have to reserve, is there sufficient space, etc? Thinking about taking this ship in the fall but pondering the parking or taking private transportation to the ship from NJ or even if there is going to be bus service like Holland America provides in Florida. Thanks for any responses.

As we were some of the last to leave the Noordam on its 2nd cruise, we noticed they were getting ready to board around 100 people. who had no luggage or coats, and wearing name tags, I am assuming they were having a luncheon for travel agents. This could be why there is such a backup to embark. Waiting for them all to leave again.

you were so lucky we waited in excess of 3 hours to board........

Parking at the pier is easy.Pull up the ramps at 45 st ,leave your luggage with a porter. Passengers go inside and driver goes up ramp to parking area at

top of pier. Payment in credit card or cash is made then there is plenty of parking. Park your car go down 1 deck and walk to where ship is docked . Go in and meet the people you dropped off on line. GOOD LUCK FROM THERE.

The price is 180 dollars for 10 to 30 days. If you can't pick up your car right away you can only get on days ships are in port.

The procedure for getting your car is the reverse of dropping it off.

If you opt for express debarkation you keep your luggage in your room and take it off with you.:):)

To Sabre Sailor and Navy Chief,

We also sailed on the March 15th Noordam Cruise and had absolutely no problems on embarkation. Our party of 6 arrived at the pier about 10:45 a.m. A porter took our bags and we proceeded to check in. Perhaps 8-10 people ahead of us in line to check in and within 5 minutes we were being checked in by a friendly HAl employee. That took maybe another 5 minutes and we were seated for about 1/2 hour before we were allowed on board the ship.

I did notice a large line forming while we were waiting to board after we checked in - I think it all depends on what time you get to the pier and how many other passengers are ahead of you inline. There were 5 HAL employees doing check in when we arrived.

CSP

Yeah that is how it looks from all the accounts I've read. It's a 1.5 to 2 hour drive from where we're going to start off in CT from. I think we're going to time the arrival at 13:30. Noordam is the only ship scheduled to be there the day we sail and return according to the web site schedule. I Guess we'll see how it goes.

We also sailed on the March 15th Noordam Cruise and had absolutely no problems on embarkation.

Were you in a suite? Or with someone in a wheelchair? It sure sounds like it; that wasn't the way it was for those of us in the cheap seats.

My bus arrived at 11:30. I was directed up the elevator, then told to go sit. By noon there was a large group of people just sitting, and not knowing what was happening. At noon we were told to go line up; there was a mad rush to do so, then we were stopped at the door. We watched as a group who had already checked in were boarded---I presumed it was the suite passengers as well as those in wheelchairs.

After that group was boarded we were allowed to advance toward the security screen, then divided and routed toward a different check-in bank. I reached the head of the line at 12:20 and was aboard at 12:30.

Ruth, only an hour in line???

Actually it was 20 minutes in the line---the mess was before that.

Check-in should have started at 11:00, but was delayed an hour due to disembarkation of the previous passengers (your group) being a mess.

Had those of us arriving for the 3/15 cruise been given a number, told to sit comfortably, and then they would be called in groups, I would have no complaints. But it didn't go down that way.

We were in the dark as to what was happening, what was happening next, and just what to expect. People were told to go up another flight of stairs to sit and wait. Wait for what? Plus, I couldn't climb the stairs.

When the shouting-out to go line up happened there was a mad dash by everybody. Then we stood. And stood. And stood. While we watched others who were sitting in that middle room get up and go through the doors that were barred to us. All of this was unnecessary.

Like I said, had we been given numbers, they could have called us in turn, and in smaller groups. There would have been no mad dash. There would have been no long periods of standing, watching, doing nothing except getting more frustrated. The race may be to the swift, but fairness should have declared this was not a race.

One little change like that would have made a world of difference.

We were also on the 3/15 cruise and checked in about 11AM. This is what took place.

They were doing an early check-in with about 5 clerks as you arrived. At that time the line was about 30 people. Shortly after we finished our check in they closed off the early check-in and told everyone who came after to sit and wait in the back behind those who were checked in. (it is true that not everyone understood what was happening)

We waited about 15 minutes and then the checked-in group was told to enter the doorways for the security check. That did cause some confusion for those who were in the back and not yet checked-in. By this time all the previous pasengers had disembarked and HAL set up the larger check-in system further inside the terminal where the follow-on groups could check-in.

We also had a great time on the cruise and the highlights easily outweighed some minor inconveniences. Sometimes you gotta go with the flow!

Anley - you gave us great info re parking at the pier and we went ahead and booked the Oct. 25th cruise - everything seemed to fall into place for this one. One more question though - you said there was plenty of parking so I assume we won't have to have a reservation - am I correct or did you have a reservation? Thanks again for your great help. Hape

I was also on the 3/15 cruise..and yes, embarkment was slow. But on vacation who cares. I only felt sorry for those who were having trouble standing so long and too proud to get a wheelchair and those with young children that were getting very board just waiting on line. NY embarkment definately needs some improvement, but no way did it ruin the cruise. My best guess is that I arrived by cab from Penn Station about 1:00 ish. I would think it took me over 1 1/2 from that time I arrived to finally board ship... But I would wait even longer to have another cruise like I had - BEST CRUISE EVER.

Disembarkment went OK... small delay midstream as I heard there was a medical emergency - only wish it had been announced - but again - I had no problem getting a cab to Penn Station - and was home within a few hours of leaving the ship.

Good cruising with my fellow 3/15 cruisers...

Karen

Hi Hape,

They will not take reservations for parking on the pier roof. If it happens to snow while you are away thry will clear your . I would have liked it if they washed my car but no such luck.

Happy Cruising:):):):)

Anley

Archived