Live from Regal Princess May 15 British Isles cruise

15 hours ago, ihearttotravel said:

Sooo grateful that you are reporting this information and that I stumbled across it! We are on the 5/27 British Isles cruise and I am currently trying to pack and also firm up plans for transportation from the port to several cities... So I've read that I 60-70 degree weather is "Sweatshirt Weather" and to pack to dress in layers while on excursions,,, In addition to these layering pieces I can add or remove, I'll also have a rain jacket and a medium weight jacket... but would I have any need for shorts? 

Definitely layers. So far, we have had fantastic weather. Partly Cloudy mid 60s.  I packed shorts and short sleeves. I’ve only worn my UK twice. Once at Giant’s Causeway and Greenock.  Yes, the locals were out and enjoying the beach and water. We’ve been really lucky, so far.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ihearttotravel said:

Also, could you tell us more about Ringaskiddy? Did your originally itinerary list Cobh but you ended up there instead? I'm asking b/c there are a lot of questions/confusion on where we will dock on 5/30 as the Cobh port website has us scheduled to be in Ringaskiddy instead. Princess c/s reps. say they believe it should still be Cobh. Those on the Roll Call are concerned about excursions booked with vendors other than Princess... where to get picked up, etc.

Yes it was originally Cobh but another ship was in that dock and we got docked a Ringaskiddy. This port is a working port, so you have to  get on a Princess provided bus to the entrance of the port for private tours. We were on a Princess excursion, so we were picked up at the end of the gangway.  They provided a FREE shuttle to Cork  City Hall continuously.  They had a private ferry for 13£ each way directly from Ringaskiddy direct to Cobh. It was from 8am-3:30pm. Left at the top of the hour to Cobh, bottom of the hour to Ringaskiddy. I didn’t do it, so I have no details. Kudos to Princess, the Cork shuttle worked great. We got all this information 2 days before.  

• Like 4

20 hours ago, QuilterGirl said:

Hmmm... the Grand Princess stopped at Holyhead in July of 2007, with us aboard!

Enjoying your reports and learning from them - thank you!   We are doing a similar cruise next year.

Princess used to use Hollyhead regularly but the tour  coach drivers were not local local. there were some accidents on the narrow roads

Another great weather day. We had a group of 6 on the Discover Scotland tour of Stirling Castle, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs.  We had a 16 passenger van, so we could be more mobile.  Our guide Scottie was fantastic. He was a fountain of information. They provided goodie bags with water, shortbread, chocolate and caramel for everyone. We even got to visit a couple of Highland Cows(pronounced Coo). You can feed Honey & Hamish for 1£.  We stopped in Caldwell(?). We had an hour for lunch and a walkabout. Several had some excellent Scottish pies. We got to Stirling Castle a little before 2pm, had 90 minutes to explore. Clear day, so we had excellent views of the surrounding area and the Stirling bridge and William Wallace monument. I recommend the ice cream served at the truck outside the castle. Yummy. 
Our driver took us through Glasgow and gave us a wee tour on the return to avoid traffic and we were back on board before 5pm. While I am typing the bagpipes are playing the last arrivals on to the ship.

l’m a bit tired and I am looking forward to the sea day. 

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

IMG_0707.jpeg

IMG_0713.jpeg

IMG_0721.jpeg

IMG_0733.jpeg

IMG_0734.jpeg

IMG_0735.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pirateskigirl said:

Definitely layers. So far, we have had fantastic weather. Partly Cloudy mid 60s.  I packed shorts and short sleeves. I’ve only worn my UK twice. Once at Giant’s Causeway and Greenock.  Yes, the locals were out and enjoying the beach and water. We’ve been really lucky, so far.

Sorry, what is "UK"?  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pirateskigirl said:

Yes it was originally Cobh but another ship was in that dock and we got docked a Ringaskiddy. This port is a working port, so you have to  get on a Princess provided bus to the entrance of the port for private tours. We were on a Princess excursion, so we were picked up at the end of the gangway.  They provided a FREE shuttle to Cork  City Hall continuously.  They had a private ferry for 13£ each way directly from Ringaskiddy direct to Cobh. It was from 8am-3:30pm. Left at the top of the hour to Cobh, bottom of the hour to Ringaskiddy. I didn’t do it, so I have no details. Kudos to Princess, the Cork shuttle worked great. We got all this information 2 days before.  

Thank you sooooo much! This is incredibly helpful information and I am excited to share it with those on the 5/27 Roll Call. You reporting the events of your days on board is helping so many of us that have never been to the British Isles... I appreciate you!! 

55 minutes ago, Pirateskigirl said:

Another great weather day. We had a group of 6 on the Discover Scotland tour of Stirling Castle, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs.  We had a 16 passenger van, so we could be more mobile.  Our guide Scottie was fantastic. He was a fountain of information. They provided goodie bags with water, shortbread, chocolate and caramel for everyone. We even got to visit a couple of Highland Cows(pronounced Coo). You can feed Honey & Hamish for 1£.  We stopped in Caldwell(?). We had an hour for lunch and a walkabout. Several had some excellent Scottish pies. We got to Stirling Castle a little before 2pm, had 90 minutes to explore. Clear day, so we had excellent views of the surrounding area and the Stirling bridge and William Wallace monument. I recommend the ice cream served at the truck outside the castle. Yummy. 
Our driver took us through Glasgow and gave us a wee tour on the return to avoid traffic and we were back on board before 5pm. While I am typing the bagpipes are playing the last arrivals on to the ship.

l’m a bit tired and I am looking forward to the sea day. 

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0703.jpeg

IMG_0707.jpeg

IMG_0713.jpeg

IMG_0721.jpeg

IMG_0733.jpeg

IMG_0734.jpeg

IMG_0735.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

We have a Private tour scheduled with George Martin w/ Go-Go Scotland Tours that is similar and our first stop is Stirling Castle, so I will be having that ice cream! lol... Do you remember the name of the place/town where you fed the hairy coos? I realize there are some breathtaking views and so many sights to see in such a short amount of time, however for some reason I'm thinking the day will be ruined if I don't pet & feed one of those pretty cows somewhere along the way.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bestbubba said:

We have an aft balcony, no shade, deck 15, today it's too hot on the balcony.... Didn't expect this in May in Scotland, global warming or just lucky? 

Also a heads up, when we got off the ship this morning, in the terminal there was a sign advertising return coach to Glasgow £10pp, a bargain! Not sure how much the train is but it's definitely going to be much cheaper than Princess. 

Very helpful as we are on the Aft as well... I'd be okay with a warmer than usual day 🙂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ihearttotravel said:

We have a Private tour scheduled with George Martin w/ Go-Go Scotland Tours that is similar and our first stop is Stirling Castle, so I will be having that ice cream! lol... Do you remember the name of the place/town where you fed the hairy coos? I realize there are some breathtaking views and so many sights to see in such a short amount of time, however for some reason I'm thinking the day will be ruined if I don't pet & feed one of those pretty cows somewhere along the way.

Trossachs Woolen Mill in Kilmahog

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We were told at 12n today that we are no more longer stopping in Le Harve, France due to a workers strike at the port.  😒 They have substituted a stop at the Isle of Portland to replace it.  Everyone is very disappointed in this change.  I would not want to be working the guest services desk today.  I think 25% we’re getting off a Le Harve to fly out of Paris.  

Edited by Pirateskigirl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pirateskigirl said:

We were told at 12n today that we are no more longer stopping in Le Harve, France due to a workers strike at the port.  😒 They have substituted a stop at the Isle of Portland to replace it.  Everyone is very disappointed in this change.  I would not want to be working the guest services desk today.  I think 25% we’re getting off a Le Harve to fly out of Paris.  

Wow, now I really feel lucky that we were on the previous sailing. The excursion to the Canadian WW2 sites was one of our highlights.

I feel sorry that were planning to leave the ship at Le Harve to go to Paris.  If they had Princess EzAir flights home from Paris, Princess will get them flights.  For others that made independent flights, they are on your own making arrangements.

7 hours ago, Pirateskigirl said:

Oh nooooo.... I'm so sorry to hear this. Thank you for letting us know.

On 5/20/2024 at 6:37 PM, Pirateskigirl said:

There is not much to do in Holyhead besides a pub, 1.5 mile fishing jetty and the Maritime Museum. If you want to see Northern Wales book a ship excursion because the others are currently limited.

IMG_0600.jpeg

Seen better days - long ago.

OP: I expect you're glad you used you time for the Ffestniog Railway excursion. As you say, not much of interest in Holyhead. It exists almost solely because of the relatively short ferry journey distance between Wales and Ireland. Most people who go there merely head straight through to/from the ferry. I can't really understand why a cruise company would select Holyhead on a cruise itinerary. The town isn't geared to cruise ship visitors. And it terms of Belfast (previous day) and Glasgow (next day) it's well of the beaten track. A 'filler' day, really.  At least folk can say they went to Wales.

On 5/21/2024 at 5:12 PM, Pirateskigirl said:

Maybe, they meant first visit for the Regal not Princess, 

We took a mini British Isles cruise last year on the Regal Princess and it included a stop in Holyhead.  It was a regular port of call all last season for this ship.  

Well….We were informed at 7am today by the Captain that our call on the Orkneys was canceled due to high winds (35-40mph) on the dock.  Needless to say, we are very disappointed.  We will be having a foggy sea day hearing the mournful sound of the ship’s fog horn.  

IMG_0239.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pirateskigirl said:

Well….We were informed at 7am today by the Captain that our call on the Orkneys was canceled due to high winds (35-40mph) on the dock.  Needless to say, we are very disappointed.  We will be having a foggy sea day hearing the mournful sound of the ship’s fog horn.  

IMG_0239.jpeg

On the May 3 cruise, our original itinerary was to include the Orkneys but that was changed to the Shetlands in the weeks prior to departure. I suspects it’s far too late for that change for you.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that you have lost 2 excursion days.  I guess I better prepare myself, it has never happened to me on a cruise. 

Could you be so kind as to photo some more of the dinner menus? It would be greatly appreciated to look at.

i love reading your live report!