High train fare London to Southampton

14 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

The answer is it depends.  There are super off peak tickets at £43 and even on the day it may be possible to buy Advance tickets at £28.

Just curious. Off peak can be a great deal if you're going somewhere for a day and trying to judge weather, for instance, as long as you're traveling outside peak hours. How often are Advance tickets still available on day of travel? I wouldn't expect them from London to Southampton on a cruise day, for instance.

9 hours ago, markeb said:

Just curious. Off peak can be a great deal if you're going somewhere for a day and trying to judge weather, for instance, as long as you're traveling outside peak hours. How often are Advance tickets still available on day of travel? I wouldn't expect them from London to Southampton on a cruise day, for instance.

Advance tickets are sold on quotas so you are correct on a busy cruise day they may sell out quickly, but on other days you may be able to buy one for travel on the next service.

On 5/16/2024 at 4:48 PM, Ramblin Wreck Cruiser said:

I have been checking daily for the last week for the fares to become available for our August 6 trip from London to Southampton. I am using the LNER site. I have read on this board that discount tickets should be available around 12 weeks before. Up until today,I kept getting a message that the fares were not available. Today, the fares became available, but the cheapest seems to be £54.50. This seems to be the walk-up fare, not a discount. Am I doing something wrong? Or maybe the discounted fares just haven’t been posted yet?

On another note, we are staying at The Clermont Victoria. It looks to me that we can start the journey there and change trains at Waterloo. Is that correct and is it our easiest option? Thank you for your advice!

We took the train from Waterloo to Southampton a few years back with luggage after a cruise.  Was a Saturday and crowded until we got closer to Waterloo.  Our hotel was a few blocks away. Very convenient.  More recently we took National Express from LHR to Southampton.  Luggage underneath coach and very comfortable.  Preferred the coach. I believe it was stated you can get coach near your hotel. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

We took the train from Waterloo to Southampton a few years back with luggage after a cruise.  Was a Saturday and crowded until we got closer to Waterloo.  Our hotel was a few blocks away. Very convenient.  More recently we took National Express from LHR to Southampton.  Luggage underneath coach and very comfortable.  Preferred the coach. I believe it was stated you can get coach near your hotel. 

Just a correction so my post make sense. Took train to Waterloo from Southampton