First time cruiser, cash required

CC019

Hi, we are going on our first cruise next week to the Norwegian Fjords, very excited, my question is how much cash should we bring. I know everything on board is paid for but when we go off on excursions we feel we need cash incase places don’t accept credit cards, or for taxis etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks 🍒

We went on our first cruise last September and we also went to Norway

We took some Norwegian currency but only spent about £40 on a few souvenirs. The shops do take credit cards but I thought we might stop for a coffee, but we found that we always went back to the ship for lunch.

Enjoy your cruise but bear in mind you will be hooked on cruising.

Since our first cruise we went again in April and have 3 more booked.

The Saga Experience is very addictive.

• Like 3

We did the Fjords cruise in 2022 and, on the advice of others online, took no Norwegian currency. We bought very little ashore, and I used a Halifax Clarity card which has no extra charges. We did take sterling and euros, just in case. We are also on next week's cruise and may see you onboard.

• Like 1

Scandinavia is largely cashless. Virtually everywhere accepts credit and debit cards and some places are card only, including some public toilets!

I'll agree with the above points - even the local open-top tour bus and trolley trains take card.

IF you think you will need a small amount of currency, you can usually buy it on the ship (from Reception).

The "buy" rate is usually reasonable, and Reception are always happy to help.

• Like 1

Saga have the no tips policy. We always give cash to our butler & steward. Last cruise our bench seat Grill pals gave cash envelopes to their grill staff. You may need cash to do that. It isn't required. We didn't because we were served by different people in different parts of the grill.

Cards are accepted everywhere. We transfer money from our bank card that would charge transaction fees to a card that doesn't. They accept Euros  Norway is expensive

• 3 weeks later...

Our first cruise was some years ago on Princes again to Norway,beautiful place,we took Norwegian currency with us,there was a guy on board telling everybody very loudly the night before we arrived in Norway about how he never took cash,he paid for everything by card,fast forward to next day when the same guy is seen in a heated argument with some guy at a coffee stall who only accepted cash,gave everybody a good laugh!

But yes most places do accept cards these days but even Sainsburys end up asking for cash when 'the system' lets them down! 

• Like 2