2025 Cruise (more than 355 days out) Cancel Q?

I have a 2025 cruise booked, deposit paid.  I see the info on cancellations, but it seems almost too good.  If I cancel now (US citizen booked) what are my options, what do I lose?  Nothing extra booked at this stage, just cruise with gratuities.  Travel insurance through another provider so I need to figure that out too.  Just want to make sure I’m interpreting my options correctly.

I have read all the documents and watched all the videos/webinars and created a pricing/availability spreadsheet.  🙂

Have a Cunard Med cruise booked in 2025 but looking to maybe try to get out of that and do the Galapagos as DH would rather do this next year.  Posted on Cunard (emailed my TA too but I’m impatient) to see about what I might lose there.  I’m not keen on losing $.

If friends don’t go I think we’d do Xpedition (3k cheaper and we like the idea of the smaller passenger experience) but if they go it’ll be Flora is my guess (as much as the 3k will kill me we travel every few years with them and I’d make it work if needed.) 

Regardless, we definitely will put this on our list for 2026 (but I am curious why only Flora is showing.)

Is your deposit refundable? If so, you won't lose anything. If not, you may be able to transfer to a different itinerary but it will depend on your booking conditions. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

I have a 2025 cruise booked, deposit paid.  I see the info on cancellations, but it seems almost too good.  If I cancel now (US citizen booked) what are my options, what do I lose?  Nothing extra booked at this stage, just cruise with gratuities.  Travel insurance through another provider so I need to figure that out too.  Just want to make sure I’m interpreting my options correctly.

Assuming you have booked a fare with a refundable deposit on a US booking, then you may cancel and get a full refund up until the final payment date (120 days prior to departure for voyages of 30 nights or less, 150 days prior to departure for voyages of more than 30 nights). Most US fares have a refundable deposit but some do not. The fare they call "Our Lowest Fare" on their website is an example of a fare with a non-refundable deposit.

My travel insurance company allows me to cancel my travel insurance but they only issue the refund as a credit voucher for use on a future purchase from them. You will need to check with your specific travel insurance company to see what their cancellation policies are.

Edited by bluemarble

For US Cunard Bookings, almost every Sale or good deal is a non-refundable deposit.

It is gone , but can be reapplied from your canceled booking , to a new booking prior to your Final Payment.

Where would I locate this information?  The travel agent quoted refundable deposits but I’d like to see it in print to be sure as we went back/forth so many times with options that I’m not entirely sure.  I did contact them but I’m impatiently pondering my options. 🙂

Just now, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Where would I locate this information?  The travel agent quoted refundable deposits but I’d like to see it in print to be sure as we went back/forth so many times with options that I’m not entirely sure.  I did contact them but I’m impatiently pondering my options. 🙂

The cancellation clause on the booking confirmation starts at March 16 2025 which is the final payment date and says nothing before that.

58 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

If friends don’t go I think we’d do Xpedition (3k cheaper and we like the idea of the smaller passenger experience) but if they go it’ll be Flora is my guess (as much as the 3k will kill me we travel every few years with them and I’d make it work if needed.)

Xpedition is a better experience all around.

55 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

The cancellation clause on the booking confirmation starts at March 16 2025 which is the final payment date and says nothing before that.

That sounds to me like you have a refundable deposit. When the deposit is refundable, I don't think you'll find any phrasing in your booking confirmation specifically stating that the deposit is refundable. But if there is no cancellation penalty listed prior to the final payment date, then that ought to mean you'll get your deposit back if you cancel prior to that date. You'll want to get confirmation of that from your travel agent though.

36 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That sounds to me like you have a refundable deposit. When the deposit is refundable, I don't think you'll find any phrasing in your booking confirmation specifically stating that the deposit is refundable. But if there is no cancellation penalty listed prior to the final payment date, then that ought to mean you'll get your deposit back if you cancel prior to that date. You'll want to get confirmation of that from your travel agent though.

Yes, I will do that.  I’m thinking I might’ve lucked out and it’s refundable.  Then I just have to figure out if the travel insurance is a loss because that was $500 so again, not money I’m willing to throw away.