Brindisi to Lecce transportation help

Hlitner

We are on a future cruise with a long port day (8-6) in Brindisi and are planning to go to Lecce.  Our thinking is to grab a regional Trenitalia train but we need advice on getting from the port (we have no clue where Seabourn docks) to the train station.  Suggestions from those with experience are appreciated :).  My hunch, having been to Brindisi only once, is that the train station is not within walking distance.  Should we be looking at local buses or try to grab a taxi?

Hank

Posted (edited)

Actually, it is within walking distance (located at Piazza Francesco Crispi).  If they use the same terminal as MSC it's about three quarters of a mile on foot to Brindisi.  There are a couple of other berthing places a little further into the port but the distance to the train station is about the same, you'd just leave from a different exit.

Brindisi is a bit sad, I was pretty disappointed and didn't spend much time at all in the town.  We pretty much wandered around the port until we found the roman columns that marked the end of the Apian way, then beat it out of town.

Edited by euro cruiser

14 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Actually, it is within walking distance (located at Piazza Francesco Crispi).  If they use the same terminal as MSC it's about three quarters of a mile on foot to Brindisi.  There are a couple of other berthing places a little further into the port but the distance to the train station is about the same, you'd just leave from a different exit.

Brindisi is a bit sad, I was pretty disappointed and didn't spend much time at all in the town.  We pretty much wandered around the port until we found the roman columns that marked the end of the Apian way, then beat it out of town.

Am delighted that you responded to my "help" post, since my respect for your advice knows no bounds.  If the walk is within a mile (or a little longer) that makes the situation easy :).  On our one previous visit to Brindisi, we had flown-in from Rome to catch an overnight ferry to Corfu.  We spent a few hours walking around the ferry port area of Brindisi and was not impressed.  While doing some research on our upcoming ports, Lecce (where we have never been) quickly came to mind.  Looking at the cruise line's own excursions, our thinking was reinforced by the many tours they have to Lecce and nothing special in Brindisi.

Hank

I used the regional train to and from Lecce when docked in Brindisi, it was a pretty easy and straightforward thing. There were some taxis at the port and taxis at the train station, so if you wanted to forego the walk in either direction, it shouldn't be a problem. Here's a map I found while researching it online; it handily shows both the spot where ships dock and the train station (bottom left; not labeled as such but look at the icons):

image.thumb.png.0d6259b89db9fd8c28455992e5169a31.png

:).  Love when the most reliable posters give me info.  Thanks you two.  Now, we just have to pray for no rain and no heat wave!

Hank