Three Days in Rome before Cruise

We arrive in Rome on the afternoon of Saturday, June 1 and have three days in the city before we board the Celebrity Equinox for our Med cruise.

Currently we have made the plans below. If anybody would be willing to review and let me know if you'd recommend any changes (or validate the plans we do have), I would truly appreciate it.

• Day 1 - Saturday, June 1st (3pm arrival): 
    • Plans: Explore the city on our own
    • Dinner: Idylio by Apreda

• Day 2 - Sunday, June 2nd:
    • Note: This is your Independence Day so we know the city is going to be very busy so we've tried to plan around that as best we can.
    • 9am: Watch jet flyover from Giardino degli Aranci
    • 9:30am - 3:30pm: Tour of Rome w/ food tastings and the city w/ guide from WithLocals
    • Dinner (6:30pm): Food Tour from LivTours
  • Day 3 - Monday, June 3rd:
    • 9am - 4pm: Tour of Vatican + Colosseum (minivan transport), via Through Eternity Tours
    • Dinner (7pm): All'oro
  • Day 4 - Tuesday, June 4th:
  • 8:45am - 10am: Tour of Pantheon

Any advice about things would be very truly appreciated as I want to make sure we make the most of our trip.

Thank you in advance!! Ciao!

You appear to be hitting several of the most visited sites (Colosseum, Vatican Museums, Pantheon) with tours, so I would focus my arrival day wanderings on the places you won't hit, like the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.

I'm curious about your Vatican and Colosseum tour, if it ends at the Colosseum would you be able to use your ticket to enter the Roman Forum?  That would be an efficient way to finish out your day, but you may be wiped out by that point.

Is the 3 PM arrival at the airport, or your estimate of arrival at your hotel?  Will you be located where it will be easy to walk to sites or will you require transit into the center?

3 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

You appear to be hitting several of the most visited sites (Colosseum, Vatican Museums, Pantheon) with tours, so I would focus my arrival day wanderings on the places you won't hit, like the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.

I'm curious about your Vatican and Colosseum tour, if it ends at the Colosseum would you be able to use your ticket to enter the Roman Forum?  That would be an efficient way to finish out your day, but you may be wiped out by that point.

Is the 3 PM arrival at the airport, or your estimate of arrival at your hotel?  Will you be located where it will be easy to walk to sites or will you require transit into the center?

Thank you for the helpful feedback!

The day 3 tour actually includes the Forum as well... I know that will make for a long day, but we definitely have a tendency of completely wearing ourselves out on "vacation".

I believe the day two tour includes those items that you mentioned we should do when we arrive on day one, but we will definitely be sure to see those. 

Our flight is due to arrive at 2pm so I'm hoping we can make it to our hotel, which is right beside the Pantheon, by 3-4pm but I don't know how long it will take to clear customs.

I really appreciate the feedback, thank you.

Even if your flight arrives on time and everything works perfectly (no line at passport control, baggage comes up quickly) it will be closer to 4 when you arrive at your hotel, even if you're using a car service to drive you door-to-door.

You haven't indicated if you are arriving after a trans-Atlantic flight, if so it's a good idea to spend as much time as you can outside in the (hopefully) sunshine to help adjust to the time change.  Maybe a pre-dinner gelato will be in order.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

Even if your flight arrives on time and everything works perfectly (no line at passport control, baggage comes up quickly) it will be closer to 4 when you arrive at your hotel, even if you're using a car service to drive you door-to-door.

You haven't indicated if you are arriving after a trans-Atlantic flight, if so it's a good idea to spend as much time as you can outside in the (hopefully) sunshine to help adjust to the time change.  Maybe a pre-dinner gelato will be in order.

Yes, we will be flying in from Washington DC and I likely won't be able to sleep on the red-eye so I'll be tired and the sun will definitely help! 

I appreciate the helpful advice, thank you!

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Looks like a good plan, but I would need a vacation after that schedule :).

Hank

You're not wrong...and that doesn't even include the cruise excursions or the 3 days in Barcelona following the cruise!

It's going to be a lot, but we enjoy the experiences (even if they're not relaxing).