Watching Galveston Departures

I'm going to Houston for work next month.  Should arrive early afternoon on a Sunday.  Debating driving down to Galveston to watch the ships depart.  Is there a good place to do that?  

6 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'm going to Houston for work next month.  Should arrive early afternoon on a Sunday.  Debating driving down to Galveston to watch the ships depart.  Is there a good place to do that?  

Hello @S.A.M.J.R.

In case you do not know, you can watch the cruise ships depart from Galveston on turnaround days. On non-turnaround days, the following cameras are on patrol. The volunteer cam mods work hard in capturing the ships and passengers waving from starboard side using the following webcams on turnaround days:

GALVESTON.COM: Cruise Video Cam - Galveston, TX

GALVESTON.COM: Emerald Video Cam - Galveston, TX

GALVESTON.COM: Marina Video Cam - Galveston, TX

And anytime you want to check in on what is going on the Strand:

GALVESTON.COM: Strand Video Cam - Galveston, TX

With that one, viewers can move the camera to various locations as per the following clip:

image.png.08d35f2647ff612dc117375d07a67d5d.png

And here is where you can find all the webcams located in various locations on Galveston Island: 

GALVESTON.COM: Webcams - Galveston, TX

And sorry, there is no sound on any of the webcams. However, everyone can see the online webcam chat going on by the "regulars" watching most turnaround days. Just click Webcam Chat on the following clip of what is under the cam feed:

image.thumb.png.fff0a874561deaa0f480c65765fedf10.png

As I type this, a Carnival ship just left for a cruise and is being shown on the Cruise Webcam and then the Emerald Webcam. Also, the Marina Webcam is showing the staging area for the workers dealing with the recent damage to the Pelican Island Causeway bridge. The big blue building in the background is the RCCL terminal.

Hope this will be helpful as you do not have to drive to the island to see cruise ships. But of course, I know how it is much better in person!! And especially if one is going to be leaving on a cruise from there soon!!

Host Kat

• Like 2

Thanks @Host Kat

I usually struggle with finding things (free) to do when I'm traveling, so thought this would be something different.  I did look, and the day I arrive for work, only one ship is leaving Galveston (Harmony- which is actually the ship we'll be on in July).  

Still debating. 

4 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Thanks @Host Kat

I usually struggle with finding things (free) to do when I'm traveling, so thought this would be something different.  I did look, and the day I arrive for work, only one ship is leaving Galveston (Harmony- which is actually the ship we'll be on in July).  

Still debating. 

@S.A.M.J.R.

You are most welcome!

When you leave on Harmony in July, be sure to wave to the rest of us that are wishing we were with you! emo22.gif

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Live on the Island. Get a table at Fisherman’s Warf restaurant on Harborside and enjoy a cold beverage whilst sitting at a table. Note good for all lines except RCI