Stockholm HOHO Ferries

After much research on this Forum for the Baltic, I discovered several ways to reach the Vasa Museum, from the ship docking at Stadsgarden S167. The most appealing is using the Stromma HOHO boat and the routes take us to the destinations. However, I think it was @John Bull who stated that they go in a clockwise direction, and getting to the museum would likely take an hour. There is also the "Emilie Ferries" and I do not see on their website that they dock close to the ships. Research has discovered the "SL" card? I think this is also associated with Emilie Ferris.

Can anyone shed light on these different companies, systems and the convenience to Stadsgarden S167 which is supposed to be very close in the city?

What has been anyone's experience?

Thanks

We were just there on the Nieuw Statendam last week. Both the Stromma HOHO boat and The Emelie ferry docked right beside our ship at Stadsgarden S167. Could not have been more convenient!

We took The Emelie just one stop to Djurgarden for the Vasa Museum. It took 10 minutes and was very inexpensive at 65 SEK. We boarded the ferry then purchased our tickets with our CC at the kiosk onboard. You need to show the ticket when disembarking. We got to the museum just before it opened at 10:00.  The HOHO does indeed go clockwise and would have taken about 45 minutes to get there. 

On leaving the museum, we decided to purchase HOHO tickets to have a bit of a tour of the harbour area and got off to do a bit of shopping at the downtown Nybroplan dock. Had we known in advance that the Emelie went there, we might have just taken it instead of the HOHO. At the end of our day, we reboarded the HOHO at Nybroplan and took it right back to our ship. 

If you have any further questions, I can try to help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nini said:

After much research on this Forum for the Baltic, I discovered several ways to reach the Vasa Museum, from the ship docking at Stadsgarden S167. The most appealing is using the Stromma HOHO boat and the routes take us to the destinations. However, I think it was @John Bull who stated that they go in a clockwise direction, and getting to the museum would likely take an hour. There is also the "Emilie Ferries" and I do not see on their website that they dock close to the ships. Research has discovered the "SL" card? I think this is also associated with Emilie Ferris.

Can anyone shed light on these different companies, systems and the convenience to Stadsgarden S167 which is supposed to be very close in the city?

What has been anyone's experience?

Thanks

Unless things have changed, yes they go clockwise.

But in the morning there are also some trips which go direct to the Vasa Museum - not a full anti-clockwise route, just to get folk direct to the Vasa, thereby avoiding the lines which build later.

That may be the boat mentioned by @waiting2retire

JB 🙂

THANK YOU SO MUCH to both @waiting2retire and @John Bull for these perfect and timely responses!!! The anxiety is much less and now we can proceed with plans for Stockholm.

@waiting2retire does the Emelie have routes also returning to the ship? I read that they have an SL pass for the day. Does the Emelie have boats leaving and returning to the ship throughout the day? Did you pre- purchase Vasa tickets and if so, do you need to select a time?

Thanks!

I don’t believe the Emelie is included in the SL card. It seems to be for public transportation including some commuter ferries, but none that go to the S167 pier. The Emelie runs a straight line back and forth between Hammarby Sjostad and Nybroplan, with stops at Masthamnen (pier S167} and Djurgarden (island with Vasa and other museums).  It takes 30 minutes each way, so yes, it returns to the ship once every hour. Try this link for the schedule https://ressel.se/en/emelie-traffic/

I also found the different modes of transportation very confusing. Some will depend on your desire/ability to walk and access to wifi. We did not have wifi access so our choices were limited. Also depends on what else you want to do/see while in Stockholm. We decided to go only to the Vasa museum and the shopping district and forego the palace and old town. 

On 5/21/2024 at 5:42 AM, waiting2retire said:

I don’t believe the Emelie is included in the SL card. It seems to be for public transportation including some commuter ferries, but none that go to the S167 pier. The Emelie runs a straight line back and forth between Hammarby Sjostad and Nybroplan, with stops at Masthamnen (pier S167} and Djurgarden (island with Vasa and other museums).  It takes 30 minutes each way, so yes, it returns to the ship once every hour. Try this link for the schedule https://ressel.se/en/emelie-traffic/

I also found the different modes of transportation very confusing. Some will depend on your desire/ability to walk and access to wifi. We did not have wifi access so our choices were limited. Also depends on what else you want to do/see while in Stockholm. We decided to go only to the Vasa museum and the shopping district and forego the palace and old town. 

Thank you so much. I have the website you mentioned and found it confusing. I think we will do what you did and then debate whether we will go over to the palace and Old Town. We are there overnight, so we shall see.

We will use water transportation at the ship. Thanks!

• Like 1

M/S Emelie I and II are not included in SL's travel cards.
Regarding HoBo boats in the morning it is not mentioned on Strömma website, However Red Sightseeing says on their website that they start operating early when there is a cruise ship in town, not sure though if it is boat and buses or only buses.

Do you stop at the Cruise Terminal?

Yes, we always meet the cruise ships upon arrival in the morning and all buses operate the port as part of the regular route all day as long as a cruise ship is docked

My cruise calls earlier than you start operating, will you have earlier departures?

Yes, we will start our operation upon the arrival of the cruise ship (no earlier than 8 am)

https://www.redsightseeing.com/stockholm/faq/

12 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

M/S Emelie I and II are not included in SL's travel cards.
Regarding HoBo boats in the morning it is not mentioned on Strömma website, However Red Sightseeing says on their website that they start operating early when there is a cruise ship in town, not sure though if it is boat and buses or only buses.

Do you stop at the Cruise Terminal?

Yes, we always meet the cruise ships upon arrival in the morning and all buses operate the port as part of the regular route all day as long as a cruise ship is docked

My cruise calls earlier than you start operating, will you have earlier departures?

Yes, we will start our operation upon the arrival of the cruise ship (no earlier than 8 am)

https://www.redsightseeing.com/stockholm/faq/

Thank you for the information. It looks there will be plenty of options at the ship.

Personally I would not choose a road transport (if you berth at Stadsgården) due the construction work going on at Slussen area and everyone trying to get to work (if on a weekday) which I assume leads to traffic jams.

8 minutes ago, Desdichado62 said:

Personally I would not choose a road transport (if you berth at Stadsgården) due the construction work going on at Slussen area and everyone trying to get to work (if on a weekday) which I assume leads to traffic jams.

Thank you for that information. We are focused on water transport.

Also, I keep reading about "walking" directions to Vasa Museum by walking over a bridge. I have found no maps attesting to this. We enjoy water transport anyway.

37 minutes ago, nini said:

Thank you for that information. We are focused on water transport.

Also, I keep reading about "walking" directions to Vasa Museum by walking over a bridge. I have found no maps attesting to this. We enjoy water transport anyway.

From Stadsgarden to Vaasa on foot requires crossing three bridges, It’s about a two mile walk. You’d cross the Slussen bridge to Gamla Stan, walk the length of Gamla Stan past the palace, take Strömbron bridge to downtown, walk along the wharves to the Djurgårdsvägen bridge to Museum Island.

26 minutes ago, dfilpus said:

From Stadsgarden to Vaasa on foot requires crossing three bridges, It’s about a two mile walk. You’d cross the Slussen bridge to Gamla Stan, walk the length of Gamla Stan past the palace, take Strömbron bridge to downtown, walk along the wharves to the Djurgårdsvägen bridge to Museum Island.

Thank you so much... mystery solved. Water transport for us, for sure!

On 5/22/2024 at 5:14 PM, nini said:

Thank you so much... mystery solved. Water transport for us, for sure!

It was many years ago I went on this cruise (the 3 year old we took is now 13 and taller than me!) but the ferries ran direct to Vassa until 10 am, and then at 10 am resumed their normal total loop.  You'd need to check if that's still the case, but it might be.

It was really lovely seeing Stockholm from the water, so I'd highly recommend a ferry at some point.

• 2 weeks later...