Advice needed - decision between two cruises

AndyG167

Hi all,

First time post on here, so here goes.

Alaska is a bucket list item for my wife and I, I turn 40 next year so we are looking to make it a reality. Looking to combine it with a driving trip through Canadian Rockies, so we're looking for options out of Vancouver.

We're both the outdoors types and the main attraction is the whales, hiking, mountains and bears, going to Glacier Bay is also a must. We have found two options for May 2025 and are torn, have you any suggestions.

Option 1 - Vancouver return 3rd May for 11 nights - https://www.*****.co.uk/travels/princess-cruises-coral-princess-alaska-11-nights-6510_P?productCode=6510_P&type=DynamicPackage&dateFilter[dateFrom]=2025-05-01&dateFilter[dateTo]=2025-05-31&dateFilter[flexible]=0

This one seems to tick a lot of boxes as it goes further than the 7 day Vancouver returns and also goes to Icy Strait Point, which looks to be good for Whales, however if the start of May too early for Whales and bears?

Option 2 - Vancouver to Whittier return - 14 nights - 28th May - https://www.*****.co.uk/travels/princess-cruises-coral-princess-alaska-14-nights-6513A_P?productCode=6513A_P&type=DynamicPackage&dateFilter[dateFrom]=2025-05-01&dateFilter[dateTo]=2025-07-31&dateFilter[flexible]=0&facetFilter[RegionHierarchical.Level1][Alaska]=Alaska

This one goes much further North although returns to the same ports on the way back. We think the itinerary for options 1 looks better but maybe being able to go 4 weeks later is better for wildlife? Secendly is there enough to do in Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway to justify two visits?

I'm new to cruising so happy to take any advice you give, thanks for reading and thanks for your help.

The bigger consideration will be your adding-on the Canadian Rockies! Too early in May will mean that hiking trails, if open, will be muddy. Mountain lifts will not yet be operating.

This website covers many of the highlight activities in the Rockies: Your Complete Guide to the Pursuit Pass (banffjaspercollection.com)

Therefore, I recommend the May 28th cruise.

P.S. We drove from Vancouver to Jasper, down the Columbia Icefields Pkwy, and onto Canmore in September 2022. Flew home from Calgary. You can do a one-way car rental. Highlights for us were a private hike to Mt. Edith Cavell, stargazing experience and cruise on Lake Maligne (Jasper/Patricia Lake Bungalows), frequent photo stops at waterfalls along the drive to Canmore (vrbo) with the skywalk and glacier adventure enroute, and Lake Louise gondola, and a walk down to the Bierstube and Bow Falls from Banff Springs Hotel.

3 hours ago, AndyG167 said:

Hi all,

First time post on here, so here goes.

Alaska is a bucket list item for my wife and I, I turn 40 next year so we are looking to make it a reality. Looking to combine it with a driving trip through Canadian Rockies, so we're looking for options out of Vancouver.

We're both the outdoors types and the main attraction is the whales, hiking, mountains and bears, going to Glacier Bay is also a must. We have found two options for May 2025 and are torn, have you any suggestions.

Option 1 - Vancouver return 3rd May for 11 nights - https://www.*****.co.uk/travels/princess-cruises-coral-princess-alaska-11-nights-6510_P?productCode=6510_P&type=DynamicPackage&dateFilter[dateFrom]=2025-05-01&dateFilter[dateTo]=2025-05-31&dateFilter[flexible]=0

This one seems to tick a lot of boxes as it goes further than the 7 day Vancouver returns and also goes to Icy Strait Point, which looks to be good for Whales, however if the start of May too early for Whales and bears?

Option 2 - Vancouver to Whittier return - 14 nights - 28th May - https://www.*****.co.uk/travels/princess-cruises-coral-princess-alaska-14-nights-6513A_P?productCode=6513A_P&type=DynamicPackage&dateFilter[dateFrom]=2025-05-01&dateFilter[dateTo]=2025-07-31&dateFilter[flexible]=0&facetFilter[RegionHierarchical.Level1][Alaska]=Alaska

This one goes much further North although returns to the same ports on the way back. We think the itinerary for options 1 looks better but maybe being able to go 4 weeks later is better for wildlife? Secendly is there enough to do in Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway to justify two visits?

I'm new to cruising so happy to take any advice you give, thanks for reading and thanks for your help.

Welcome to cruise critic.

Cruise options

Each cruise has pros and cons, so it will depend on your preferences. At first glance, the earlier cruise seems to be the better option, as in addition to the usual SE Alaska ports, it visits Hubbard Glacier. Here are a few pros/cons to consider.

3/5/25 Cruise - based on the itinerary on the Princess website, it shows sailing down to Juan de Fuca and up the Pacific Ocean. With a 16:00 departure from Vancouver, this should provide reasonable scenic cruising until darkness about 21:00. However, you have 2-days at sea in the Pacific Ocean, which has the potential for a rough start to the cruise. Sitka is definitely a positive, especially with the Russian heritage. Hubbard Glacier, especially so early in the season is probably at best 50/50, due to ice in the water. The probability of missing Hubbard is much higher early season. Icy Point Straight is also a positive.

28/5/25 Cruise - this will spend less time in open ocean and also visits the spectacular College Fjord. As an additional benefit, in Whittier you can book the Phillip's 26-glaciers tour, which starts a short walk from the dock. This is an amazing cruise that gets much closer to numerous glaciers. Still a bit early for salmon running, but you should see more wildlife than early May. Been to all the SE Alaska ports well over a couple dozen times and still enjoy going back, so I expect you will have no issues with a 2nd visit. This cruise will complete the Canadian Inside Passage between the mainland and Vancouver Island mostly in daylight, which is exceptional scenic cruising.

With respect to driving the Rockies, if flying BA, you can fly into Vancouver and return from Calgary. For a vehicle, you can hire a car or a small motorhome (caravan). Having driven the Rockies multiple times with a Ford F-350 or F-450 and a 41' 5th wheel trailer, both options are viable. My concern with the earlier cruise is the potential for snow at higher elevations and potentially on some of the mountain passes. Mid-June would definitely be a better time for the Rockies drive and seeing wildlife.

Overall, although missing Sitka is a huge negative, in my opinion, the positives for the Rockies tour and seeing College Fjord outweigh missing Sitka.

• Like 1

We love Sitka - one of our favorite ports, but I think @Heidi13 makes and excellent case for the back to back 14 day cruise. We have been to Alaska many times, but I think one of our favorites was the B2B we did on the Diamond Princess many years ago. Believe me, there is more to do in every port than you could ever do on two visits. We loved having the extra time in each of these places and did something different each time. One idea for your second Skagway visit is to use it as a jumping off point to visit Haines if you want to fit in another really cool Alaska port. We loved having the turnaround day in Whittier and spent the day visiting Anchorage - our only AK visit where we saw a moose! Still memorable to this day. The extra scenic viewing days was great as these places are always changing and give different experiences each visit and even at different times of the day. We probably witnessed the most amazing calving we have ever seen on our second day at College Fjord - so very happy to have a repeat visit. Either way, they are both great cruises, but I would give the edge to the 14 day turnaround trip.

• Like 1