Recent experiences with Rijsttafel in Tamarind?

On my upcoming cruise on Rotterdam, the Rijsttafel night is available in Tamarind. I did a search of the forum, and the latest results were a little dated, along with a report from this year's WC, which had a different menu.

I'm curious about any recent experiences with this offering, and if folks would recommend it. I have experienced a Rijsttafel dinner before, but am curious if the HAL version is family style/small tastings of each dish or if you select one entree from the menu? Lastly, does the 4 star Mariner discount apply? Thanks to everyone in advance for your insights. 

47 minutes ago, Infi said:

On my upcoming cruise on Rotterdam, the Rijsttafel night is available in Tamarind. I did a search of the forum, and the latest results were a little dated, along with a report from this year's WC, which had a different menu.

I'm curious about any recent experiences with this offering, and if folks would recommend it. I have experienced a Rijsttafel dinner before, but am curious if the HAL version is family style/small tastings of each dish or if you select one entree from the menu? Lastly, does the 4 star Mariner discount apply? Thanks to everyone in advance for your insights. 

Rijsttafel Pop up we went to  on the World Cruise this year was a Pry Fix menu , We will also be on the Rotterdam starting in Aug, so I will try it there 

Posted (edited)

No Mariner discount for this, but it is an enjoyable tasting menu. You will get every item on the menu, though it may be somewhat different than the link posted above. Here's a peek at some of it...

rijs.jpg

Edited by SeaCapt
  • Like 1

Thank you to everyone for sharing their photos and menus. Good to know there is no Mariner discount - I didn't expect it given that it's a pop-up, but helpful to set expectations. It's also quite interesting to see how the menus differ from ship to ship...makes me wonder if the menu aboard will differ from the online version.

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

@Overhead Fred Fred,  How would you grade the 'heat' levels?  mild? scorchio? 

I would say mild. The Beef Sumatra and the Sambal potatoes and green beans had the most zing. Mitzi is less "heat" (chemical as opposed to thermal) tolerant than I am and she had no trouble with any of them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

I would say mild. The Beef Sumatra and the Sambal potatoes and green beans had the most zing. Mitzi is less "heat" (chemical as opposed to thermal) tolerant than I am and she had no trouble with any of them. 

Thanks!  We did it previously on Koningsdam (pre covid) and although I am tolerant to the heat, it did really feel hot!  Perhaps they have toned it down a bit, like a lot of the other dishes onboard.