Townsville is featuring in new itineraries

I have just noticed the Joel Katz story with 9 news yesterday referencing the Coastal shipping act. CLIA will be waiting a while for 2025 to be rubber stamped, and while there is no real evolution of discussions about how the act will be implemented, it will indeed be a rubber stamp. The exemption for 2024 wasn't made official until 13th December 2023, and with these underlying comments from Catherine King:

“COVID-19 really affected tourism and the cruise industry, so the Australian Government is continuing to support cruise tourism by guaranteeing another year of the exemption. 

[the government is supportive of cruise tourism]

“The exemption reduces red tape and costs while supporting THRIVE 2030, our national strategy for the long-term sustainable growth of the visitor economy.”

[the reference is about red tape and costs, not about preventing foreign flagged vessels from domestic cruising]

“The one-year exemption will also provide additional time to consult on a range of potential amendments to the Coastal Trading Act to aid in the revitalisation of the Australian maritime industry.”

[Changes need to be made, as there are unintended consequences. AFAIK, not much is progressing here, and CLIA should already be aware of that].

I get that all the cruise lines want certainty instead of an annual extension, and they really don't need yet another layer of charges and taxes. However, our wonderful people in Canberra collect GST off each domestic cruise fare, and it would be lame brained for them to put that at risk.

Perhaps the sensible thing to do would be for the government to grant an exemption until 2030 (say) but reserve the right to withdraw the exemption and/or change/amend the Act to anytime. This would give the cruiselines and the industry some level of certainty while still giving the government an "out". 

4 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Perhaps the sensible thing to do would be for the government to grant an exemption until 2030 (say) but reserve the right to withdraw the exemption and/or change/amend the Act to anytime. This would give the cruiselines and the industry some level of certainty while still giving the government an "out". 

Uncertainty either way. Short term, I figure the cruise lines have a verbal assurance, but they need to sort out their 12 year old legislation for the speculation to go away.

It would be nice if they let all the cruisers in on the secret a bit earlier than December.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2024 at 11:17 AM, arxcards said:

recall that years ago, some ships used to tender to Hamilton Island instead of Airlie beach. That would be another variant I would like to see come back.

Would find it interesting to have cruise passengers spend a day on Hamilton Island … we spent Easter there this year (as nearby locals have been visiting for years) but consumable prices are now eye watering 😳

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 4:36 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

I have fond memories from there in the 80s. I think there is still a Koala cuddling place on the island. Lots of beaches and toad races at the pub.

I SAW  MY LAST KOALA IN THE WILD FROM A WALKING PATH ON MAGNETIC ISLAND.  IT IS A BEAUTIFUL ISLAND.