Hiking in Flam

We are doing the Flam Railway and Valley hike through Royal Caribbean. The description says “Tour involves 6 to 7 miles of extensive downhill walking over even, gravel and rocky surfaces.”

My question is - do people typically bring hiking poles? How strenuous is this really? I really don’t want to pack my poles if I don’t have to, but if the hike is that “hard” I will bring them. My hiking shoes already take up a lot of space and we are trying not to check bags from the U.S. 

Thanks so much in advance! 

It would depend a bit on where you’ll be hiking. Are there any more details in the tour description? It’s 12 miles back to Flåm from the other end of the train, so presumably you aren’t going to be walking the initial steep slope. Maybe you take the train back partway and then walk from there? If so you probably wouldn’t need the poles, especially since they describe the path as even surfaces.

The description isn’t very specific, but it looks like take the train up and we start the hike at the Vatnahalsen Hotel. We hike down the mountain and there is a photo opp at Kjos Waterfall. 

I hear you about hiking sticks and flying with carry-ons only. 

If you can rent poles in Flam that would be ideal! We were able to rent poles last summer in Wengen Switzerland, splitting the set between DH and I since we don't hike with both.

• Thanks 1

If you’re walking the same path the bikers take I would say you wouldn’t need poles unless your knees are particularly bad or something. It was steep at times (I walked my bike for a bit), but if I remember correctly it was mostly paved. We biked from Finse to Flam in August 2017.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nordicacres said:

If you’re walking the same path the bikers take I would say you wouldn’t need poles unless your knees are particularly bad or something. It was steep at times (I walked my bike for a bit), but if I remember correctly it was mostly paved. We biked from Finse to Flam in August 2017.

Agree with nordicacres - we did this in 2018 when we were in our late 40s and didn't need poles (the first 2 or 3 km (from the top) was the most difficult as it was a gravel road but after that it was paved the rest of the way).  

Enjoy the excursion - it was one of the most memorable things we did in Norway. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone! I’m glad to hear that I can leave the poles at home! So excited for this hike! 

9 hours ago, nordicacres said: