Wow Queen Anne

margo2011

Just in from an afternoon on Liverpool waterfront welcoming the Queen Anne .

She looked fabulous and the surroundings of our  breathtaking waterfront did her proud .The concert with The tenor Andrea Bocelli  was spell bounding,You could her a pin drop considering the thousands of spectators .

Next cruise I think . Just a pity we couldn’t have stayed for the later concert and fireworks for the sail away .

Would be wonderful when we get our long awaited new terminal ,Cunard could restart their transatlantic cruises .

Talking to friends and family cruisers it’s something on all their wish lists .

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, margo2011 said:

She looked fabulous and the surroundings of our  breathtaking waterfront did her proud .The concert with The tenor Andrea Bocelli  was spell bounding,You could her a pin drop considering the thousands of spectators .

Next cruise I think . Just a pity we couldn’t have stayed for the later concert and fireworks for the sail away .

Would be wonderful when we get our long awaited new terminal ,Cunard could restart their transatlantic cruises .

Glad you enjoyed the ceremony.

We're booked on her in a few weeks and were just saying it would be wonderful if Cunard do start some cruises from Liverpool instead of so many of us always having to go down to Southampton. We sailed from Liverpool with Cruise Maritime and it was so easy and quick, just an hour from home.

• Like 4

I agree especially when Cunard keep saying Liverpool is their spiritual home .I have no problem with Southampton and have cruised many times from there.You cannot compare sailing from our iconic waterfront and sailing from Southampton.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

Glad you enjoyed the ceremony.

We're booked on her in a few weeks and were just saying it would be wonderful if Cunard do start some cruises from Liverpool instead of so many of us always having to go down to Southampton. We sailed from Liverpool with Cruise Maritime and it was so easy and quick, just an hour from home.

My usual travelling companion and I were saying the same thing. The long slog down to Southampton really does put us off. Sailing from Liverpool would be amazing.

I sail tall ships when I can, and the experience of coming into Liverpool under sail is absolutely nothing like sailing into Southampton.

• Like 4

I'd hazard a guess Cunard will wait for the new cruise terminal to be built first. I've only been in-transit for the current terminal, but it didn't seem great for 2-3000 guests.

That being said, in the mean time it could be good for them to incorperate some trips that stop off but also pickup & disembark passengers (much like they do with the Hamburg trips) in Liverpool.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MylesS said:

I'd hazard a guess Cunard will wait for the new cruise terminal to be built first. I've only been in-transit for the current terminal, but it didn't seem great for 2-3000 guests.

That being said, in the mean time it could be good for them to incorperate some trips that stop off but also pickup & disembark passengers (much like they do with the Hamburg trips) in Liverpool.

A few years ago they had done a couple of partial change overs on the QM2 in Liverpool, part way through a round UK journey, but our agent said they would not do that again as they were stung for tax by not calling at a non UK port during one of the legs - not sure if that is the reason, but is what I was told. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MylesS said:

No, there's no way the current cruise terminal could cope with that many guests.

Even if the plan to reopen the Cunard Building as the cruise terminal had gone ahead, the old booking hall would have been far too small.

smallDSCN0435.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tring said:

but our agent said they would not do that again as they were stung for tax by not calling at a non UK port during one of the legs

Sounds about right given how much we tax travel here. If that is the case I doubt that's in any budget right now, given a lot of other cutbacks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

No, there's no way the current cruise terminal could cope with that many guests.

Even if the plan to reopen the Cunard Building as the cruise terminal had gone ahead, the old booking hall would have been far too small.

smallDSCN0435.JPG

The new terminal is going to be able to take ships around the 3k passenger limit .Surely the new owners will make arrangements accordingly .

I hope they don't operate TAs to or from Liverpool while we still want to sail.

It would probably be too much bother.

We don't have many flights to Liverpool or Manchester, whereas we have at least five a day to and from Heathrow. Not sure what a taxi from Heathrow to Liverpool would cost, but it's got to be much more than Southampton.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, margo2011 said:

The new terminal is going to be able to take ships around the 3k passenger limit .Surely the new owners will make arrangements accordingly .Previously we didn’t have the hotel capacity which is now resolved and the airport has new airlines on board .

not to mention Liverpool has recently been voted the top city to visit in the Uk.Are you getting the feeling I love my city.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, D&N said:

We don't have many flights to Liverpool or Manchester, whereas we have at least five a day to and from Heathrow. Not sure what a taxi from Heathrow to Liverpool would cost, but it's got to be much more than Southampton.

Even if they do the occasional TA from Liverpool (which is entirely hypothetical, seeing as there are no definite plans for the new terminal that I'm aware of), I can't see them shifting their entire TA operation here.

• Like 1

Global Ports Holding

The world's largest independent cruise port operator is set to take over Liverpool's cruise liner terminal. Global Ports Holding (GPH) has signed a 50 year agreement with Peel Ports Group, which will see up to £25m investment, including the construction of a new terminal building.3 Apr 2024
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, D&N said:

I hope they do start the ocasional TA - it would be much less bother for us! 😀

3 minutes ago, margo2011 said:
Global Ports Holding

The world's largest independent cruise port operator is set to take over Liverpool's cruise liner terminal. Global Ports Holding (GPH) has signed a 50 year agreement with Peel Ports Group, which will see up to £25m investment, including the construction of a new terminal building.3 Apr 2024

It was meant to have opened in 2022. I don't see a signed agreement as proof that it's going to happen any time soon.

I would absolutely love to be proved wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

I hope they do start the ocasional TA - it would be much less bother for us! 😀

We'll just have to continue to enjoy our never ending holiday at home and do without the odd ocean crossing and dancing experience. While we're still alive of course!

Probably better value overall to spend the cash on fine dining here, but difficult to find venues suitable for formal/gala wear or offering dance floors.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Some historical perspective with all this "Cunard and Liverpool" talk

The last express Cunard liner to sail from Liverpool to New York was IMPERATOR (even before she became BERENGARIA.... in 1920. Or 104 years ago.

The last Cunard sailing from Liverpool to Canada was RMS CARINTHIA in... 1967.  The last to New York was also in 1967 by RMS SYLVANIA. That was... 57 years ago.

No Cunard passenger liner called on the Mersey until the 1990s when QE2 did (we were aboard for her second such call).

Cunard moved their headquarters out of the city by 1965.

Them's the facts... 

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Some historical perspective with all this "Cunard and Liverpool" talk

The last express Cunard liner to sail from Liverpool to New York was IMPERATOR (even before she became BERENGARIA.... in 1920. Or 104 years ago.

The last Cunard sailing from Liverpool to Canada was RMS CARINTHIA in... 1967.  The last to New York was also in 1967 by RMS SYLVANIA. That was... 57 years ago.

No Cunard passenger liner called on the Mersey until the 1990s when QE2 did (we were aboard for her second such call).

Cunard moved their headquarters out of the city by 1965.

Them's the facts... 

well thanks but one can live in hope .

• Like 1

Hey, for a company that's 184 years old, a 57-year absence is not even a legal separation... !

I would point out that Fred. Olsen have been sailing out of Liverpool with a lot less fuss and nonsense for a number of years now. They claim no roots but cross the Mersey Bar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, margo2011 said:
Global Ports Holding

GBP25M doesn't seem a lot for a new terminal.  That sounds more like a big shed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, reeves35 said:

GBP25M doesn't seem a lot for a new terminal.  That sounds more like a big shed.

I was just about to post that £25m doesn't seem like m much for a major infrastructure project.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, margo2011 said:

They got a treat last night with that sail away party with Craig Charles DJing them out to the fireworks. Charles DJ'd with the liverpool philarmonic orchestra. I have never seen anything like that before in my life.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, margo2011 said:

well thanks but one can live in hope .

Cunard will never homeport for one reason. Most of the flights for the U.S are from heathrow and half the passengers are american. Even though each Transatlantic from Liverpool might save half a day of fuel

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MylesS said:

They did in 2018 and 2019 one T/A Southampton/Liverpool,reykjavik and New York. But only once and not for the last few years. Maybe that route didn't take.

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

They did in 2018 and 2019 one T/A Southampton/Liverpool,reykjavik and New York. But only once and not for the last few years. Maybe that route didn't take.

If I am not mistaken wasn't part of the problem with doing turnaround in Liverpool a large amount of EU money and the conditions that came with it in relation to Southampton?