"Bribing" Maitre d' to get better table/waiter

stan01

11 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

You do know we’re not all alike in the boorishness you ascribe to us, yes? I find this sort of commentary unnerving and surprising, considering how happy we have consistently been with the friendliness of virtually all passengers we have met on board. Makes me wonder what they were really thinking of us.

I think, if you look back, you will notice I said that some of the behaviour described does not at all seem to be standard US practice. But you must admit that tipping is much more of a favoured thing in the US, and sometimes ahead of the deed. 😀😀

Posted (edited)

It’s (tipping) really required to an absurd extent, in restaurants at least, if we want people to have enough to live on. But some places are trying to turn that around. In any case, this was not the first CC thread in which I’ve seen people from the U.S. denigrated, often implying we are a  homogeneous group. Exceptions acknowledged or not, it seems unnecessary to the topic. 

Edited by 2Oldpeopleinlove

7 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

It’s (tipping) really required to an absurd extent, in restaurants at least, if we want people to have enough to live on. But some places are trying to turn that around. In any case, this was not the first CC thread in which I’ve seen people from the U.S. denigrated, often implying we are a  homogeneous group. Exceptions acknowledged or not, it seems unnecessary to the topic. 

And I for one would also highlight the openness and generosity that seems to come naturally to many US people in a way not necessarily the case with Europeans. 😀

21 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

You do know we’re not all alike in the boorishness you ascribe to us, yes? I find this sort of commentary unnerving and surprising, considering how happy we have consistently been with the friendliness of virtually all passengers we have met on board. Makes me wonder what they were really thinking of us.

it's just stereotypes. I mean, some Americans have got some strange beliefs about British people., but I think when we all have conversations we put aside any stereotypes and pre-conceptions and accept each other at face value. Plus, it's always interesting to hear about peoples lives in other countries

• Like 4