Northern Norway October - rough seas?

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I’m wondering if anyone here has been on a cruise to Northern Norway in October (going up to Alta/Tromso way) and can advise on how rough the seas were? We are thinking of doing this after coming back from an amazing cruise to some of Norways fjords last month. The only thing really putting me off is that I felt quite seasick on a couple of the days even though the seas were only around 1.2 - 1.4 metres and in October and going much further North I’m imagining it could be a lot rougher! I know it can vary but getting some idea from people who’ve done it would be helpful as if it’s consistently rough then it’s probably not worth doing. At least until I know I have a way to deal with the seasickness that works - took Sturgeon this time which helped but wasn’t enough.

Edited by CarlaCruising

Here's something from Hurtigruten's site. That's who we sailed on the Norwegian coast and also Antarctica. I consider them quite reputable.

Is October end a good time to visit Norway?

What is the weather like on a cruise to Norway in October?

The coastal climate in Norway in autumn is generally mild, but as you sail further north it can get quite cold. In October, temperatures can even creep below 0 degrees in the northernmost areas, so make sure to pack warm clothes.

As we said when we were kids ... "I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count".  I think it would be a very bad gamble, especially since you already have seasick issues.  Rather say this now than having to commiserate with you after a miserable time on the waters around Norway in October.  There are thousands of choices out there for another great Scandinavian trip.