2 1/2 Hour Power Failure on Liberty 3/22

mfs2k

Ok...I have actually read the entire thread. I sorry to hear that some excursions were missed. But 2 1/2 hours of you entire vacation or your life for that matter, is not that big of a deal!! People are fighting in wars and are uncomfortable for much more than 2 1/2 hours. My opinion is get over it, and be glad you are on vacation.:D

No, I didn’t take ANY food off the ship with me. You would have been proud of me. I was a VERY GOOD BOY!!!!

In Costa Rica, we were taken by Charlie Soto’s tour to a beachfront shack, where I ate Chicken, Rice and Beans and drank Costa Rican Imperial Beer, all while being observed by a pet sloth sitting on a tree branch.

Thanks to Panama Pete of “Adventures in Panama” in Panama, we ate freshly caught Tilapia deep-fried in an Embera Indian native village by an overweight topless elderly villager. (Unfortunately, Dr. Atkins never made it to the Chagres National Park). We got to the secluded village in a motorized dugout canoe (not a Chriscraft fiberglass boat used by the Carnival Shore Excursion people). And there was no paper or baggies to worry about. The fish was served in a banana leaf cone. (Note: the skeptic in me thinks the fish might have really come from the local “Safeway” supermarket. But I could be wrong. They assured me it was freshly caught in the month of March.

PS – I also didn’t smoke my smelly cigars anywhere I wasn’t supposed to.

LMAO. It all sounds real delish.

Nothing wrong with a good cigar. :D

Well I am smart.. and if you on the top floor when the power goes out ..your stuck. I sorry your disabled. but power failures happen even in the area you live.. Your plans were effected, but by something noone planned or could control when happen. Machines break for what ever reason... my point was make the best of what you have, instead of focusing on the neg. I was not bashing you.. so don't bash me.

It is too bad that so many people on here just want to go on and on about things that actually had nothing to do with them in the first place!
So is nobody allowed to actually talk about anything on this message board unless they've actually experienced it? I don't understand why you are posting here if you are so easily offended by what other people have to say. It's a message board. People come here for all sorts of reasons and enjoy talking about cruising.

I went back and read all your post. All I can find is a blanket statement that you paid $6000 for the cruise. No breakdown at all. Why don't you please enlighten us as to what cost so much, or did you have a suite?

Now that she has stated there was no airfare, no gas, and virtually no onboard expenses... it means she paid around $2500 per person for the first two people, for an oceanview cabin... NOT a very good rate AT ALL! Not a year out... should have cost around $2700 at best.

No doubt some of these folks would have jumped on the survivors of the Titanic for stating they were inconvenienced, and heaven forbid that a few might actually state they are seeking compensation.

Ridiculous comparisons......

I was on the cruise. Im not seeking compensation for this (but i wouldnt refuse it if they choose to credit my credit card. (you listening Bob Dickinson?) I don't think Pam is entitled to compensation either. They credited everyone who booked the Panama Canal excursion... Trust me Pam.. I went to the Miraflores lock on my privately booked excursion... It didnt look that thrilling. I dont think you missed much....

Get over it Pam, and start planning your next exciting vacation.

Be grateful you didnt book a Western Caribbean cruise on the Star Princess that same week, or a private excursion in Chile while cruising on the Celebrity Milennium. (in case you havent been watching the news, the first ship had a fire, and the second had a bus drive off a cliff during an excursion killing 12.

Ridiculous comparisons.......

As objective as most on this thread.

I was on the cruise. Im not seeking compensation for this (but i wouldnt refuse it if they choose to credit my credit card. (you listening Bob Dickinson?) I don't think Pam is entitled to compensation either. They credited everyone who booked the Panama Canal excursion... Trust me Pam.. I went to the Miraflores lock on my privately booked excursion... It didnt look that thrilling. I dont think you missed much.... .

no doubt, because you had a balcony? i've sailed through the canal before. it is awesome. i would be disappointed, too.

Get over it Pam, and start planning your next exciting vacation. .

think that qualifies a rude.

Be grateful you didnt book a Western Caribbean cruise on the Star Princess that same week, or a private excursion in Chile while cruising on the Celebrity Milennium. (in case you havent been watching the news, the first ship had a fire, and the second had a bus drive off a cliff during an excursion killing 12.

and your point is? on the Star, the cruise fare was refunded 100% and a discount off a future cruise. plus princess picked up or will reimburse just about any documented additional expense.

and your point is? on the Star, the cruise fare was refunded 100% and a discount off a future cruise. plus princess picked up or will reimburse just about any documented additional expense.

The point? The freaking power went out for a little while!!!! Seriously, if that is the worst thing that ever happens, consider yourself lucky. I think the point was, be lucky you were on a ship where the power went out for a little while (and much of the ship apparently was running on backup power, it was not a blackout), and not on the Star or the Millenium, where in the grand scheme of things, a power outage would have been more than welcomed in lieu of what they were dealing with. Granted, it was a minor inconvenience, but it wasn't a 9 hour wait in a terminal without food and water, it wasn't a ship fire, it wasn't even a "horror" story... it was an inconvenience, at best. I would imagine most people on the ship got along just fine, otherwise, we'd hear alot more about it on this board... over and over and over and over and over again :D

The point? The freaking power went out for a little while!!!! Seriously, if that is the worst thing that ever happens, consider yourself lucky. I think the point was, be lucky you were on a ship where the power went out for a little while (and much of the ship apparently was running on backup power, it was not a blackout), and not on the Star or the Millenium, where in the grand scheme of things, a power outage would have been more than welcomed in lieu of what they were dealing with. Granted, it was a minor inconvenience, but it wasn't a 9 hour wait in a terminal without food and water, it wasn't a ship fire, it wasn't even a "horror" story... it was an inconvenience, at best. I would imagine most people on the ship got along just fine, otherwise, we'd hear alot more about it on this board... over and over and over and over and over again :D

So apparently the issue is not whether under any circumstances a (partial) refund is due? So now all we are negotiating is the threshold? Extremely subjective, don't ya think?

So apparently the issue is not whether under any circumstances a (partial) refund is due? So now all we are negotiating is the threshold? Extremely subjective, don't ya think?

What?? A refund for WHAT??? I didn't even think that was in question... a refund for a power outage??? Where backup power was used?? Like I said, we have lost power on 3 of my cruises... refund??? Credit?? I would never have thought of it. Maybe if the power was out all day, or all night, and services were not available all day, a credit might be called for. But for 2 hours, no... It was a minor inconvenience in my opinion... sorry, a refund???

What?? A refund for WHAT??? I didn't even think that was in question... a refund for a power outage??? Where backup power was used?? Like I said, we have lost power on 3 of my cruises... refund??? Credit?? I would never have thought of it. Maybe if the power was out all day, or all night, and services were not available all day, a credit might be called for. But for 2 hours, no... It was a minor inconvenience in my opinion... sorry, a refund???

In this case I do not see where Carnival owes anyone anything. The ship lost power for a few hours and then it was restored. Not a big deal. I'm sure that some folks were frightened by it but it sounds like the CD kept people updated as to what was going on. Did someone mention a Flying Monkey!!!!!!:D

In this case I do not see where Carnival owes anyone anything. The ship lost power for a few hours and then it was restored. Not a big deal. I'm sure that some folks were frightened by it but it sounds like the CD kept people updated as to what was going on. Did someone mention a Flying Monkey!!!!!!:D

True.. I can understand a credit for the folks on the Sensation, but for a short power outage, nope...

Does seem there was a monkey fly-by :D

Pam (and thank goodness you are not my Aunt). )

Why knot? Perhaps she would have raised you better?

I've re-read your posts several times tonight and I think you believe the Captain was "incompetent" for cruising after the power was restored, at only 10km per hour and that's why the ship arrived late in Panama and therefore that's why you missed your tour. You think he didnt know what he was doing. )

Perhaps he couldn't? You were there. What was the potential, Scotty?

You think the Captain proved this to you because the next day, the ship was cruising at 22 km/hour on the way back to Fort Lauderdale FROM Panama...)

22km? puleeze. 13-14 miles per hour?

After reading about these engines and generators, (and after watching the shipboard video in the cabin the next day that discussed the engines and generators and propulsion systems of the ship), I learned that the generators that control electrical power to the ship also controls the engines.)

No extra charge for the lesson after the fact?

After our power failure, when they switched back to main power from backup power, it makes complete sense that they did this gradually, over a period of hours. When they finally turned on the propulsion system (making the ship move), it also makes perfect sense that this too, was done gradually so as not to overload the power grid. Im sure the Captain did not want the power to fail again because of a sudden surge of power demand. Everything was done in a controlled manner. To me, this demonstrated extreme competence. Not incompetence as you believe. The priority for the Captain was NOT to make sure you got on your tour on time, but to keep the ship safe... Im glad he took a prudent path...)

Are you trying to justify why balcony cabins had A/C before lessor cabins? What the recovery demonstrates is that they were clueless why the problem occurred in the first place. May well still be.

In fact, the last 20 hours of the cruise we were averaging only 15 knots. If he really wanted us to get back to FLL earlier, he could have.)

A fact? Perhaps knot.

I think you are just looking for reasons to get something back. I dont think you are entitle
d. Get over it. (from someone who was there too)

You are entitled to your opinion, but is only that. Not fact.

We went out to the Lobby, and out on the outside promenade area. There were people in the main lounge. The first thing we noticed was the ship was not moving. We couldn'f feel the vibrations of the engines. That was eerie.

That also made me a bit more nervous. It wasnt just the lights, but the propulsion too...

Maybe the ship had to stop moving due to the repairs they were making. It's possible that more systems had to be shut down in order to fix what was wrong. It's hard to repair the engine of a car when some one's driving it down the street.

Anyway it's just a thought.

Archived