Zaandam cabin walls

Posted (edited)

Are the cabin walls on the Zaandam metal, so that I can use magnets to post papers? 

I had formed the habit of posting information with magnets on cruise ship cabin walls and then I sailed on the Zuiderdam and discovered that my magnets would not stick to the cabin walls, except to the inside of the door.  The door was only weakly magnetic.  It required a very strong magnet to post even one piece of paper.  

I will be sailing on the Zaandam next year and hope to be able to organize my days by posting information and notices on the cabin walls.  Using pins, tape, or other forms of postings would be unacceptable as they would damage the walls.

Edited by islandwoman

15 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Are the cabin walls on the Zaandam metal, so that I can use magnets to post papers? 

I had formed the habit of posting information with magnets on cruise ship cabin walls and then I sailed on the Zuiderdam and discovered that my magnets would not stick to the cabin walls, except to the inside of the door.  The door was only weakly magnetic.  It required a very strong magnet to post even one piece of paper.  

I will be sailing on the Zaandam next year and hope to be able to organize my days by posting information and notices on the cabin walls.  Using pins, tape, or other forms of postings would be unacceptable as they would damage the walls.

I don't believe that they are.  When we were on the Zaandam in 2019, we had to use the stick-on holders, the name of which I now do not remember.  I am sure that others may recognize the brand.  I will note,  however, that although that brand  (3M?) was recommended specifically for cruise ship walls, it appeared to me that when I tried to remove decorations, maps, etc., the wall surface was going to be removed along with the decorations.  

• Thanks 1

My notes from 2023 show that we were unable to get our strong magnets to work the usual places on the walls. We did get them to work on the small portion beside the room door and since ours had hooks, we were able to use the ceiling close to the wall for hanging some items.

2 hours ago, islandwoman said:

I will be sailing on the Zaandam next year and hope to be able to organize my days by posting information and notices on the cabin walls.

I have used some mounting putty or sticky-tak to put my calendars on the mirrors. We usually sail for 21+days or I might try it on the walls. I have used it at home with no damage.

• Thanks 1