Rhapsody Room ?

My boyfriend and I will be taking our first cruise on April 23rd. I've been reading these boards but still have a few ?s to ask previous cruisers of this ship. If you can help, thank you:)

The first question I have is our room. We are in Quadrant A3 Forward, RH. What does this all mean and where, exactly, is our room? Is it a good place to be or should we try to change it and, if so, how?

Our destinations include Key West, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Right now, we are planning to wander on our own in Key West and in Cozumel. I am planning to book a tour with Native Way Watersports in Grand Cayman, as we are interested in visiting Stingray City.

Will it be possible to wander on our own in Cozumel? I understand that we need to tender there, now, as the damage from the hurricane was extensive. Any suggestions on things to do or see or places to eat would be appreciated. We are a young couple (I'm 31. My boyfriend is 28.) We are active, enjoy bike riding, and have a sense of adventure (and humor).

Finally, I'm curious about the formal nights. I am planning to wear cocktail dresses that are more on the casual side (I'd say a step up from a sundress.) and my boyfriend is planning to wear dress pants and a button-down shirt (no tie). Will this be okay? Also, my boyfriend would love to see me dressed up, as I seldom wear make-up or style my hair. How much is it to get my hair styled on the ship? When do I make a reservation for this service, as I understand the salon books FAST the day of the Captain's Dinner. Do they do make-up, too? (Or, is there a woman sailing on the same ship during this time that would be willing to do it for me, as I'd be willing to pay you!)

I guess that's it for now... I'm trying to read the boards so I don't repeat what others have already asked... Such as sneaking alcohol on, what to pack, etc.

Thanks for any and all help:)

We have cruised Rhapsody several times - instead of your luggage tag, give us your cabin number and we could probably offer some information. I think you will find the Rhapsody to be a wonderful friendly ship with outstanding service.

Key West - great place to wander around - don't miss sunset on Mallory Square (close to the docks).

With respect to Cozumel, I recommend lunch at Pancho's Back Yard, which is walking distance from the tender dock near downtown. Bicycling is possible, but the roads are still a little rough and a challenge to maneuver. DO NOT RENT A MOPED, unless you really like broken bones...I also recommend a tour guide if this is your first visit to Coz. We discovered a private tour in January 2006 who is marvelous! Go to the website at CozumelTours.com and inquire about Harry's island tour. You will be treated like an old friend by a retired U.S. police officer who has owned a home on Coz for ten years and really knows the island. He will tailor your tour to your interests...

There is a salon onboard, but it is really pricey and they push a lot of funky beauty products. You do have to make appointments quickly to get a spot. Ask prices before committing.

You will get hundreds of opinions on dressing for formal night. What you are describing for your boyfriend is considered casual wear. He probably won't be excluded from the dining room on formal night, but you may feel uncomfortable if everyone else is dressed to the nines. We find it fun to dress up and take pictures... your dress will probably be fine, but encourage your boyfriend to throw a sport coat, dress shirt and tie in the suitcase. There will be (2) formal nights.

Bon voyage.

LL

I too have cruised Rhapsody and recently Serendade. My daughter (who is 29) is treating me to my 3rd cruise (just mom and daughter !) this Nov.

You will love the Rhapsody for your first cruise..... not too big not too small.

Not sure where your room is - like previous poster said "need cabin number" but I would go to your nearest travel agency and ask for a Royal Caribbean catalog for the Caribbean. Dont tell them you already have booked - just looking and they are free. Lots of info in them ! Including deck plans showing where everything is

As far as doing your own thing while in port..... good for you. We try to explore on our own wherever we travel.... instead of being herded around on a bus with 50-60 other people. But always head to the furthest point from the ship first and work your way back..... and always be mindful of the time.... have seen lots of people waving from the pier as the ship pulls away (they do leave people !). In St. Lucia the captain actually held the ship about 40 miles down the coast while some late ones came aboard after hiring a very fast boat to catch it. You will enjoy Stingray city !! When your tour guide asks if anyone wants to hold one - say Yes... they are very gentle creatures and soft and gooey on the underside and velvety on top.....

As for formal nights.... my advice would be to dress a little more formal than you planned. There have been many threads on this website regarding this but to me it is part of the whole cruise experience. Most people will be dressed up quite a bit in the main dining room and they take pictures at various locations on the ship those nights. You can buy them or not - its up to you but we have found they seem to take some of the best photos we have ever had, so usually buy some. I would encourage boyfriend to wear suit with tie and perhaps a dressy cocktail dress for you. You can always change after dinner (we don't) if you feel the need.

The other nights in the main dining room are more slacks and collared shirt or even nice khakis and collared shirt. T'shirts, shorts etc are not forbidden but not really encouraged either.

Hair: Dont have the spa do it....they tend to be a little expensive. Work with it yourself between now and the cruise and figure out a "do" you can do yourself if possible. Remember - simple is always more elegant.

You will have a super time...... wish I had found cruising when I was your age..... hopefully my daughter will get the "bug" as this will be her first cruise. Any other questions.... just ask.

My wife & I have sailed Rhapsody 5 times, it the most friendly ship we have been on of our many cruises on diferent lines.

Do yor own thing in port, but be aware of where you are & your surroundings.

Formal nights are very enjoyable, a lot of people like to dress up! as we do not get much of a chance do so in this day & age.

Have a wonderfull trip.

CAPT2005.jpg.ea76ce020831de603855c054df3da4e3.jpg

I would suggest doing your active excursions on Key West and Grand Cayman i.e. parasailing, snorkeling and such. Just getting to Paradise Beach or Mr. Sancho's will cost you $10 a person for a taxi RT. Then beach entrance fees. Paradise Beach will have a commercial feel about it and while the beaches are ok they did take a hit from hurricane Wilma.

Cozumel was great for shopping. There is a huge market area as soon as you leave the pier. Never buy anything at asking price. My MIL bought 2 sets of earrings for $40 after being told initially the price was $180 for one! One of my sons bought a bongo set for $10 after the guy wanted $25. I'm almost ready to offer him that $25 to get them out of his hands! :D

Howdy NauticalNewbie!

Welcome to the Cruise Critic Message Board and the wonderful world of cruising! 04.gif Once you cruise, you will be hooked just like the rest of us.

082502btw_prv.gif, to tide you over until you pick up that much needed brochure mentioned above, you can see the deck plans as well as stateroom diagrams & pictures here: http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/RC/rhapsody.htm

You will enjoy the Rhapsody with her super friendly staff/crew! Be sure and join the Roll Call for your 4/23/06 cruise date so you can get to know other Cruise Critic members that will be sailing with you. Click here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=274050

Welcome aboard and I hope you & your BF have a wonderful cruise!

042202_1319_92_prv.gif Happy trails to you... 042202_1319_92_prv.gif

Kat 50.gif

Not sure where your room is - like previous poster said "need cabin number" but I would go to your nearest travel agency and ask for a Royal Caribbean catalog for the Caribbean. Dont tell them you already have booked - just looking and they are free. Lots of info in them ! Including deck plans showing where everything is.

The deck layouts aren't in the new borchures. I got ones for Europe and Alaska and no deck plans. I was disappointed. The brochure says to look online for them.

My fiancee and I will also be taking our first cruise together on the Rhapsody on 4/23! She is 31 and I am 36. Maybe we'll get to meet you guys on board!

As for the "formal night" thing, I plan on bringing a very dark grey suit (I also have a black suit I'm considering bringing, but I'll only bring one suit), and a couple of white shirts and ties for the formal nights. If your boyfriend doesn't want to buy a suit just for the cruise, I suggest that you take him shopping at JC Penny for a suit. They have a great selection of reasonably-priced suits, and a very good return policy. :D

When flying into Houston, if given the choice go to Hobby Airport on the south side of Houst as opposed to Intercontinental which is on the North side of Houston. Transfers to Galveston from Hobby will be quicker and cheaper to Galveston.

The idea about JC Penney was awsome thats just what are 20 yr old DS did on our last cruise. He just brought 2 different dress shirts. Some bright colors. He only wore a tie one night and the next night left the shirt no tie he looked very hip.Young people just don't dress up like like they used too.He was getting alot a looks from the ladies needless to say we didn't see him that often. Only at meals. Have a great time you two! I do have a quick question to someone from Texas about the airports? Is Hobby more expensive to go out of than Bush International? When ever I try to find a flight fron here it never pops up.:confused:

Thank you for all of the help! I'm glad I happened upon this website and these oh-so-helpful message boards. I managed to find my "dressier" dresses. They were hiding out at my parents house (I, recently, bought my first home and, apparently, some things just haven't made it over to my place!)

Since they've been found, I mentioned to my bf that he should bring along a suit. He didn't balk. Apparently, he is happy that he'll be able to wear his one-and-only to a happy occasion (He bought the suit to wear to funerals.) I like the idea of just bringing another shirt and a different tie to wear to the other formal night. It makes a lot of sense!

I checked into renting a car and using that limo service. It is a bit cheaper to go with the limo service and, I believe, less of a hassle, too. Now, do they drop off at the pier or do they drop off at Galveston hotels? I guess it'd be fairly cheap to get from the pier to our hotel via taxi. I'd, also, guess that you can wander around Galveston on foot, as things are relatively close (church and a restaurant for dinner). I've been to Galveston before but I just can't remember the details!

As for flying into Hobby, not too many airlines service that airport. As an employee of Continental Airlines, we used to service that airport but stopped flights there a while ago. I'm not sure why but I'm sure it boils down to finances. Since my bf is unable to fly on another airline at a reduced fare, our only choice is Houston.

I think that's it... Thanks again:) If I have more ?s, I'll post a new thread.

Daveman -

We'd love to meet up with you and your fiancee! In fact, how good is she at applying make-up and styling hair? I'd love to pay her to make me look GOOD;) Normally, I don't wear make-up or fuss with my hair. I'd love to surprise my bf on formal night! Then again, he may swoon himself right off the boat! lol Perhaps, we could meet for dinner the night before while in Galveston. That is, if you are staying a night there.

If you go out on your own on Cozumel, you better speak at least some Spanish. Otherwise you are sure to get s----ed by a native. Whether it is directions, price or taxi, believe me they will take you if there is a language barrier. I speak Spanish and straightened out a lot for some people who were in our cab. They had asked to go to a pharmacy (presumably to get medications) and the cab had taken them on a hour drive when we got in. I let the driver "have it" in Spanish and got them to there desired destination, but they had already spent 42 $ american from the port. Get my drift. Also, don't rent a car, etc. They make the rules, if you get in an accident it is ALWAYS your fault, and you may end up in jail for nothing. If you think I am inflating the danger, I am not. My son used to travel in Mexico on business and boy oh boy the rules bend towards the natives. Now, for the good part, get on a booked tour, go to the beach, go to a Senor Frogs or similiar bar and you will be ok. Have lots of fun, and oh, don't drink the water!

Daveman -

We'd love to meet up with you and your fiancee! In fact, how good is she at applying make-up and styling hair? I'd love to pay her to make me look GOOD;) Normally, I don't wear make-up or fuss with my hair. I'd love to surprise my bf on formal night! Then again, he may swoon himself right off the boat! lol Perhaps, we could meet for dinner the night before while in Galveston. That is, if you are staying a night there.

Well, she is having "pros" do her wedding hair and make-up, so I'm not sure she can help you there, unfortunately.

We're not flying into Hobby until around 11:00 the morning of the cruise. Maybe we'll see you guys at the "Meet and Mingle" if there is one, but if not, we can get in touch off-line (e-mail me at daveman1 at rocketmail.com) and figure out how to meet onboard. Last time I checked, only four people had registered for the meet and mingle (25 are required to register before Royal Caribbean will throw us a M&M party).

Where are you guys from? We're from Virginia, but I know Texans are friendly folks, so I'm sure we'll all get along, even if I don't own a Stetson and cowboy boots. :D

We're not flying into Hobby until around 11:00 the morning of the cruise.

Congrats on your wedding Daveman. My husband and I are on the Rhapsody 4/23 flying into Hobby around 11:00 also - on Airtrans. We're from Michigan and in our mid-30's. Well, he is a bit younger than I and would say I am in my mid-30's and he, in his lower 30's. This is our first trip on the Rhapsody -flew Carnival last two cruises. We usually try to celebrate the end of tax season by doing something fun. You guys wouldn't happen to be flyng airtran out of atlanta, would you?

Nauticalnewbies: we reserved galveston limousine on our own - although are not paying until we arrive. I read on another thread that someone was extemely offended that it wasn't an actual limousine. :D It is a van service that I have heard has a lot of stops and takes longer to get to the port, but it does take you right to the cruise port. As long as we are prepared for the drive we are okay with it - since it is the cheapest way to get there that I have found.

we are pretty much doing our own thing at the ports but are considering doing the sting rays since last time we were at grand cayman we regreted going. - can't wait for 4/23!

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats on your wedding Daveman. My husband and I are on the Rhapsody 4/23 flying into Hobby around 11:00 also - on Airtrans. We're from Michigan and in our mid-30's. Well, he is a bit younger than I and would say I am in my mid-30's and he, in his lower 30's. This is our first trip on the Rhapsody -flew Carnival last two cruises. We usually try to celebrate the end of tax season by doing something fun. You guys wouldn't happen to be flyng airtran out of atlanta, would you?

Thanks! We're flying from Washington Dulles on AA, and taking the Coach USA shuttle to the cruise terminal for $49 round-trip. Looks like we won't get to the port until around 2:30.

My DW and I cruised on the Rhapsody for our first ever cruise in January. We booked the Conch Train tour in Key West, the Butterfly farm and semi sub in Grand Cayman, and the Island Highlights and shopping tour in Cozumel. We booked all through the cruise line, and were thankful we did. We were unable to go into port in Grand Cayman because of the tides, so we received 100% refund of that tour from the cruise lines for missing the tour.

In Cozumel, after lunch at Poncho's Back Yard (watch out for the Margaritas, they creep up on you!) we did quite a bit of shopping. DW found a white gold, diamond and tanzanite ring for less than half of the asking price! I would also recommend purchasing one of the coupon books ($20) at the shopping highlights presentation on the ship on Monday. We got lots of free stuff (lots more than $20 worth) and also got a few huge discounts on things we were looking for.

Have fun on your first cruise! Wish we were going again soon!

Galveston Limo will drop you off at hotel or pier, wherever you arrange to be dropped off. The vans/shuttlebuses they use are not huge, so there will probably be no more than two or three stops. We used them a few years ago and the service was excellent--no problems!!

Here's another newbie on the 4/23 sailing...registered for the Meet & Mingle , but like Daveman said there's not enough of us!! :( If you look at the 5/7 sailing Roll Call it's got huge #s of posters!! Hopefully arriving Houston via Atlanta (Delta), then transferring via RCI shuttle to pier. Anyone done this?? :confused: It was included in my air package. They've told me that an RCI employee will be meeting me at the airport. Everybody, please go to the 4/23/06 Roll Call for Rhapsody and register for M&M...watch out for the date 'cause there's a huge Roll Call going on still from last year's sailing.

NauticalNewbie: Just an idea, but maybe you could go to a make-up counter (Clinique, MAC, just about any of them) and get a make-over. They usually are willing to do as much or as little as you'd like, and they are there to teach you how to do it yourself (and of course, sell their products to you!) It might be a way to get a little practice. You're not obliged to buy the products, but you may see something you like.

Also, if you have your hair professionally cut, maybe see if there's someone there who can help you learn a "do it yourself" style. I agree with whoever said "simple is better", definitely can be very elegant.

Archived