are we taking to many electric applianes and gizmos along on our cruise

leeuwarden

My DH has severe sleep apnea..so we travel with a portable unit...we always ask the staff for an extension cord if we can't connect the machine beside the bed ( for some reason there never seems to be a plug next to the bed) so we usually have to have an extension cord stretched across the room with tape...which is fine! All the staff on every cruise line has always been very helpful with this! LuAnn

I "think" the mini-suites and suites have more and better located outlets than balcony or insides. We definitely needed a multi-outlet -- 2 cell phones, alarm clock, camera, iPod, and DW using the hair dryer. Multi-outlets makes life a lot easier -- none of these items put much of an electrical load. Based on advice on this board about coffee pots etc., I did take an immersion heater to make fresh tea (bags from the Horizon Court) but decided not to use it because of its wattage and risk. I keep drinking a lot of tea to avoid the temptation to eat! /Sultan

You're right, Sultan. There are more or less depending on the ship, but the minisuites do seem to have more outlets than standard cabins. On Coral Princess, the minisuites had plugs by the corner table as well as the TV unit, and in the bathroom.

The most fantastically laid-out minisuite I ever had was on the HAL Zuiderdam last year (Cat SS). The room is square, and quite large. Beds with endtables, a slight room divider, a desk with a window onto the balcony, the balcony door, a large couch with two chairs and a coffee table, a second desk next to that, 8-feet long of closets, and huge bathroom with double sink, shower/tub combo, SEPARATE standup shower, and toilet. There were 2-plug outlets at each desk, on the TV unit, by the beds, and 2 in the bathroom. Total outlet count: 12!

My email is burried in my profile. Takes a little thinking. It's a '78 172N with about 3600TT and 40 SMOH With a Garmin 530 ( yeah, that's right a 530) Mode S and TIS, and Power flow systems headers. What a 172!:D

Ah yes, I see the email address now. Very nice 172!

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see, I've cut down my list a bit since my last cruise. Here's the new electronics manifest:

- CPAP

- Laptop

- iPod (charge via laptop)

- eBook Reader (www.ebookwise.com)

- still digital camera

- digital camcorder

- cellphone

- walkie talkies (rechargeable)

I bring a two-prong, three-outlet, two metre extension cord, plus a three-prong, three-outlet single tap.

On my last cruise, my cruising buddy took a picture of her bed, neat and pristine, and then mine, covered in electronic grear including several extension cords, a honking big gps, a portable speaker set for the iPod, and enough cables for some serious wiring.

The walkie talkies are new ones this time, and I hope they work on the Dawn Princess - the old Moto Talkabouts don't work there in between desk very well.

The eBook reader I would not do without - I can carry upwards of a hundred books on it, and it's nicely backlit for reading at night or out in the sunlight. I even carry a ZipLock freezer bag so I can take it into the hot tub.

I have to have the laptop since amongst other things, my camcorder uses digital memory cards and I need to download and clear it each day. Otherwise, I'd be limited to 90 minutes the whole cruise. Heck, I throw away more footage that that! :D

For my cruise next month, I'm renting a small travel-sized CPAP. I used to be able to pack for three weeks in a 21 inch rollaborad, so I'm hoping I can go back to carry-on only. Fingers crossed.

They were possibly quilters who used the cruise like a quilting retreat.

Quilting cruises are a big deal in the quilting world. They sell out 12-15 months ahead of time at premium rates...

-----Burton

[quote name='bstrauss3']Quilting cruises are a big deal in the quilting world. They sell out 12-15 months ahead of time at premium rates...
-----Burton[/QUOTE]

Quilters Cruise to the Caribbean
from
[url]http://www.cruise-seabreeze.com/quilters_at_sea.htm[/url]

Our Next Quilting Cruise
from
[url]http://www.kayewood.com/cruise.html[/url]

send us an email at [email]QuiltersAlaskanCruises@comcast.net[/email]
from
[url]http://www.quiltcampatsea.com/[/url]

Archived