are we taking to many electric applianes and gizmos along on our cruise

leeuwarden

i have read that many people take coffee makers ,blenders , dvd players etc and a variety of other appliances with them.

What is to many:confused: and are we overloading :confused: the ships electric system and is that a safety hazzard?:confused:

There is only one outlet in the cabins, is that a clue?

looking forward to your comments

The coffee maker sounds dangerous- I would never do it. The blender- depends on your needs. If you bring a laptop computer, you won't need a dvd player, otherwise, a portable DVD player isn't a big deal. I need stuff to download the camera and power the batteries, not much power concern there. I also need a CPAP for sleeping. Bring a power strip or extension cord if you have stuff needing plugs, but not a cheap one. There are not many outlets and they are never where you need them. Unplug things not in use. DON'T BE THE FIRE HAZARD, but feel free to use what you need.

The ship's system- You are not overloading if you use one or two things at a time and unplug that coffee maker, blender, dvd player. Unless you are making coffee, while someone is mixing a drink, while one of you watches a movie, and the other downloads pictures on the laptop, meanwhile you are charging batteries, all while the mini-fridge door is open- you should not have a problem. Just use common sense.

Never needed anything like what is mentioned on these boards

Coffee: wonderful DH goes to the lido in morning and brings me a cup to the room where we enjoy our first cup on the balcony watching the ocean go by or pulling into port

Blenders: Then I would need fruit,ice, booze, etc. took much work easier to go to bar or hang out somewhere and they come to you

DVD Player: we are never in the room long enough to watch a movie. the news or whatever is on is entertainment enough when getting ready for dinner

The only thing I bring is battery charger for camera, want lots of pictures The phone charger so when we get back to the real world phone is working.

Other than that save room in the luggage for souveneirs and such!!!

Sue

ps the best thing is a battery powered night light

Bring extention cords, for extra outlets

1. laptop

2. still camera

3. toothbrushes (2)

4. video camera

5. fan

6. noise machine

7. PDA

8. cell phones (2)

9. crok pot

10. Alarm clock

11. CPAP

12 Humidifier

13 Chanukah Bush Lights

We need 15 outlets

I personally would never bring my own hairdryer. The ship provides low wattage hair dryers in the cabins. My sister used her "industrial" size hair dryer from home and set off the smoke detector in her room.

FYI, it sends a silent alarm to the bridge. She received a telephone call from the bridge asking her if everything was okay because she had set the fire alarm off. She told them no fire, just the steam coming off her hair.

A true story, believe it or not :) .

You don't need to bring all that stuff, besides you are only allowed so much weight in your baggage on the flight. You can get coffee delivered to your room if you need a cup there, anytime of the day. You're on a cruise, enjoy the ship, enjoy the excursions...you can use the ships computers to email home. Cell phones usually work off ship, we've called from all over the world with ours. Forget the day to day things you do at home and enjoy your vacation.

Jan

derf5585--thought you were serious at first, until the crockpot...please tell me you're not serious!! Love your list.

The only things I use are a curling iron and a charger for the camera. I don't drink coffee (so no coffeepot), don't drink alcohol much (so no blender), brush with an oldfashioned manual toothbrush, don't need to cook onboard (so no crockpot), and don't bring my laptop, cellphone or PDA--I'm trying to get away from those things when I cruise!!

I realize some people really need some of those appliances (CPAP). It just seems to be a matter of common sense to use only the outlets the ship provides and then only when necessary.

Has anyone ever checked with staff onboard or with the cruiseline about what they feel you should be using for safety? Has anyone ever had a cabin steward say anything?

My DH would say I bring too many gadgets. But my things aren't plugged in continually - just to recharge the batteries (multiple digital cameras, GPS, MP3 player, cell phones, etc.)

We bring a fair amount of electrical items, but have yet to need extra outlets. Even with a laptop, iPod, two cellphones, two toothbrushes, battery charger and DH's shaver, we've never used more than the two plugs provided at any one time. They don't all need to be plugged in simultaneously, and having them all out at one time would be the ultimate in clutter.

dd's ipod....cell phones before we leave...dvd player if we even use it...not at the same time...wth..blender , coffee maker..are you nuts....just stay home...they provide all of that..yes it may cost you for the drinks..but geez....take some wine and beer in a cooler...or water and soda..:rolleyes:

derf5585--thought you were serious at first, until the crockpot...please tell me you're not serious!! Love your list.

That was a crokpot for cooking alligators which I catch off of the balcony using a bungee cord.

We were amazed at how much electronics we brought on our last cruise. AND, YES, YOU DO NEED TO BRING A POWER STRIP. Most outlets in the cabin are too close toether to plug in more than one thing at a time.

I brought my laptop and didn't think I'd use it .... but I used it every day. Downloaded pictures, organized them, used the DVD player, the CD player, etc. And, since it's wireless, I was able to use my own computer in the atrium (Princess charges $10 / half-hour) to e-mail pictures to family and friend right from my computer. They loved the instant gratification.

Question: What is a CPAP?

We don't have a need for a power strip as the only things we're ever plugging in are the cell phone charger (for when we get back home to call the shuttle), digital camera charger, coffee pot (yes, my hubby needs this but he always is there while using it and then he always unplugs it), electric shaver. We don't have an ipod, personal dvd, or other devices like that (we use the in-cabin tv as is).

i have read that many people take coffee makers ,blenders , dvd players etc and a variety of other appliances with them.

What is to many:confused: and are we overloading :confused: the ships electric system and is that a safety hazzard?:confused:

There is only one outlet in the cabins, is that a clue?

looking forward to your comments

"Too" many would trip the ship's electrical breakers for that outlet. The clue to capacity is that each 1500 watt outlet (many ships may be less, and trip accordingly) is run through a breaker (equivalent to a fuse in an old house electric box) and in some cabins there may be only one clearly visible (there actually is usually more, but guessing you haven't found them... don't worry they are to code as well.)

There is no inherent ship-side safety "hazard" by plugging things into outlets on a ship unless they generate heat and are left unattended, like a hair drier, a curling iron, toaster oven or even... a Cuban Cigar I suppose.:rolleyes:

I agree with some of the above posters. I charge my camera battery before I leave home and have plenty of power to take more than 100 pictures. Same for cell phones - I can't use them in most places anyway so the charge will last for a week or more. Laptops, PDAs, iPOds, etc; good grief !! you are going on a cruise to relax and get away from it all. It won't kill any of us to leave all that stuff at home - along with the coffee maker, blender, etc. Never taken a power strip - never needed one!

I agree with some of the above posters. I charge my camera battery before I leave home and have plenty of power to take more than 100 pictures. Same for cell phones - I can't use them in most places anyway so the charge will last for a week or more. Laptops, PDAs, iPOds, etc; good grief !! you are going on a cruise to relax and get away from it all. It won't kill any of us to leave all that stuff at home - along with the coffee maker, blender, etc. Never taken a power strip - never needed one!

It wouldn't kill me, but .... My last trip, I took over 600 pictures, so a single charge would never last. :) (I also use rechargeable batteries in all my gadgets to ease the environment, which have to be recharged). I used my cell phone in the Islands to make sure my dogs were well taken care of, and to call family. :cool: I enjoy electronics, so I used my laptop to download pictures and edit pictures, something I never have time to do on land. :rolleyes: The other folks at our dining table begged me to bring it to dinner one night to see our photos and our DVD of our swim with the dolphins. Virtually every evening, we sat on the balcony and listened to the iPod ... our neighbors said they appreciated the music outside .... I can't imagine lugging a coffee maker, but to each his own.

Question: What is a CPAP?

A CPAP is the best invention ever devised in the history of the universe. It gives the user a good night's sleep and doubly for whomever is sleeping either next to them or in extreme cases in several rooms around them a good night sleep. In addtion, this miracle machine saves marriages.

Sue

PS: if you didn't understand, it keeps you from snoring!

If you really feel that you can't drink Princess coffee, you can always bring a french press that uses no electricity. Of course then you'll have to worry about glass breaking in your lugguge. I couldn't live without my MP3 player. (personal CD player in past years) It helps releave the boredom of the plane ride and is great for laying out on the ship.

Archived